1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A pic of my bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by drillsarge, Jul 12, 2007.

1. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

posted a pic of my bike in the photo gallery.. check it out if you get a chance:cool: :D

Attached Files:

2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i like it. i remember the days of no fender.....used to carry a roll of electritian tape to wrap between the forks, just touching the tire to wipe some rain sprayaway!!!! ahhhh those were the days!!!!
  3. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

my wife wants me to put a companion seat on I have the seat and a new stock fender to mount but I kinda like it the way it is gonna paint the tins this winter at least I will try to help get em painted. My daughter's boy friend rides an R6 and does custom car stereo installs and is a right good hand with fabrication and paint and has volunteered to show me the finer points of paintin':cool:
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

look's good like that , But you have to keep moma happy , try looking at the wide glide style rear fender , you both just might like it
    i remember riding that style in my wonder years (still wondering how I got through them)
    Do you have a new color in mind ?
    :cool:
  5. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

I love the "Bob" look!!
  6. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

I been thinkin about a mercedes blue metallic and the reason is because the paint is free:D I got an OEM fender for it but if I can get a wide glide fnder to fit and keep the bob look I am there:cool:
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Don't get too attached to your daughter's boyfriend.... cause....you know.... you may have to put him down some day.:D
  8. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

after ridin this bike, he is considering a big twin, like a Metric,and besides,;) he knows what the deal is when it comes to my girls: )
  9. chucktx

sarge, just an idea...find an old flh front fender. turn it backwards and see what ya think, also keep in mind that you will probably cut some of it, and have to drill your own mount holes...........that would give ya a true 60/70 bobber look...............sweet. ditch the hand clutch, fab up a foot clutch, fab a bracket for the ratchet top to acomodate a fabbed jockey shift, then..........well, i dont know how far ya want to take it. have fun!!! keep the pics commin and stay safe!!
  10. Clem

Clem New Member

Nice bike, classic!

And Chuck, good idea with the fender - like HD did the Wide Glide which was an idea stolen from home builders doing as you describe. Also, I must refrain from looking at the bouncing boobs 'cause it leads to a lengthy lusty stare.

Bill C.
  11. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

I appreciate the comments. My scooter feels like it was built for me.I will give the flh fender a look see, however I feel I should wait a minute or 2 on the foot clutch and the ratchet shift. Aint got them kinda ridin skills yet:D
  12. chucktx

hehehehe...my first was a 49 pan, with foot clutch and jockey shift, apes, no front brake, no fender, mechinacal drum in the rear!! first time i took it out, it was snowing...about 1/2 inch on the roads....no way was i NOT gonna ride it!!!!! i finished the build and it fired...opened the kitchen door and off i went. that was back in 67........i think i have a pic of that bike in my album....
  13. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

one day I will find a 63 panhead at a price I can afford, 1963 is the year of my birth, who knows,;) that could be my first build.
  14. Clem

Clem New Member

Still got my first Harley....sitting back in the shop collecting dust -'56 Pan. It was a foot clutch and side shift too. I changed that way back and now regret doing it. I let the tanks go back then that had the shift slide bracket on the side and also replaced the transmission top with a 'ratchet lid'. I rode it some as original side shift and a lot with the foot shift - enough to get hooked on Harleys. I also changed the heads and barrels to shovel - that made a difference!
    I guess I'm on the ignore, so this probably didsn't add anything...whatever...
  15. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

What are the keys to ridin with a foot clutch and a hand shifter. Would balance and the right attitude be 2 of 'em. A foot clutch seems almost natural.
    PS couldn't log on this AM all advice for me is welcome, the more I can learn the better and safer rider I can become:)
  16. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Nice bike Sarge..... I like the taped pipes...
  17. chucktx

well balance and attitude is a big part of it, but there are a few differences....make sure your front brake is working ....i didnt have one on my first one and it gets a bit touch and go at a stop light on a hill. have to have a real sensitive hold on the clutch to keep ya from rolling back!!! also dont sit at a light with the bike in gear and both feet on the ground, as the foot clutch could engage and off ya go, when ya least expect it...now these tips apply to the rocker type clutch of days gone by........
  18. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Nice bike, Sarge! But why did you let that grouchy-looking guy sit on it? :cool: :roflmao:
  19. Clem

Clem New Member

Easy answer... Foot clutches were very eloquently called a 'suicide clutch'. More often than not, you will need the foot that the clutch is actuating. The shifter is a natural but not the clutch. Hang the mousetrap on the wall (don't let it go) and install the 'eliminator' bracket under the oil tank front mounts at the seat post. Make it a hand clutch - much, much safer. Ride it a little as it is. Just place it in neutral as you begin to make a stop.

The eliminator bracket was called a 'D&D' bracket....for the company that began to make them for sale in the 70's. You can get hold of the clutch control from HD or aftermarket and measure for a cable. The cable is the size of the current hand clutch cables.
  20. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

Must be the Drill Sargent in me. Seems to me, the only time I smile is when I talk about my bike, martial arts my kids and grandkids,and bootiful women:D
    Clem, thanks for the advice on the clutch, my philosophy is find as much info as I can fom folks that have "been there and done that". I won't know how it will go til I try it but at least when somethin' goes good or bad I can say "yea, I remember this, I heard that might happen on Bike-Talk forum." Yall make a feller feel welcome.:cheers: