1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A Rookie To Performance

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 30, 2015.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Tonight I had a really good conversation with a guy that I have known for a little while but just started riding with him. Tonight he had mentioned that he was looking for more in the performance aspect of riding. Of course, when I hear the word "performance,' I get real excited. As we were talking I couldn't help but thinking to myself, "this guy isn't that familiar with the performance realm." It reminded me a lot of me when I first joined Bike Talk. So, as a good friend, I made suggestions, just giving him some information.

I have learned so much from this site (and others) that I am just not sure where I would be if I had never joined any of them. I continue to learn.

I thought that this would be an interesting thread because I think it to be important to reflect from time to time. Everyone has different experiences with their bike. We all ride for the same but different reasons. And We All Can Learn From Each Other!
  2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Was on one night a year or so ago, hijacking Cardboard's thread about fuel tuners, had a great discussion with BaggerPaul who was on at the time, almost minute by minute, loved it and learned a lot in a short time. That is why I use this resource. Good knowledge, good times.
  3. JohnnyBiker

One thing about forums is that I learned real quick to double check advice given. Not that people, or most people rather, don't intentionally try to steer people in the wrong direction, but performance upgrades are expensive, the last thing I want to do is spend twice.

My buddy will get there and I will be there to help when he needs it. It's his bike, not mine.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Best thing to ask is what is he trying to achieve, low et's in the 1/8th mile,
    high speed autobahn, or just a little more grunt to get the bike moving.

Plenty of knowledge here, the old adage of how fast do you want to
    go, how much money you got... plays...

Most will be satisfied with a simple stage 1 (AC< Tune and Pipes)

Some need a bit more grunt, so they go for cams, but another useful
    thing with going aftermarket cams is timing change ie, overlap, ie, less heat.

So you can get more then just power out of upgrades, and then you can go too far, and start breaking stock parts or, finding you need to spend even more to get that power to the ground.

For most folks, it's just getting a bit more grunt, so be sure to listen to what he wants, you don't have to understand LSA, Lift, Valve size, spring rates, compression, timing to get his message across, you just have to ask the questions properly, and remember, it's not your money or build.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I agree, getting that far into it for most people is a non starter. One thing that is kind of curious though is that I think that his bike has different than stock cams anyways. Granted, he's riding a lighter bike than I am, but that bike moves pretty good.

He was wanting plenty more power without going into the top end. Almost impossible.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

depends on what "plenty" means....

Have to find out whats in it to even discuss where to go..
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep..."Plenty" can mean different thing to different people. Some people think a 15 pak of beer in the fridge is plenty:rolleyes: when in reality,it's not even close...lol

He could play with the gearing to get more "quickness"but no power increase. Other than that,you'd have to go into the top end...
  8. JohnnyBiker

Yep, he could do that but specifically said he didn't want to do that. Besides, changing gearing doesn't give you more power, it just moved the existing power around.
  9. Lucifer

Yeah,that's why I said no power increase;)...If he doesn't want to play with gearing for acceleration or go into the top end for power,kinda difficult to make any changes in performance lol
  10. JohnnyBiker

Sorry. I missed that. He can get more if it's discovered that he doesn't already have better cams than stock. He had mentioned that he was weary of larger displacement because of heat. Well, if it's properly tuned and with proper afr, heat is a non factor.
  11. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

I know that I am a S/AZZ but what is your friend riding, a Vespe lol or a CVO
    Lucifer likes this.
  12. JohnnyBiker

He's riding an 05 Heritage.
  13. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Thanks bud .I love this forum and enjoyed the tech portion of it also .I'm a motor head and enjoy to share what ever knowledge I have to offer just seems like the tech side of the forum has died down a bit .so I'm not on as much as before but always check to see if there is anything I can help with.
    Lucifer and JohnnyBiker like this.
  14. Lucifer

JB, I think a first move for your buddy would be do a compression and leak down test, the bike is 11 yrs old, might be time for a freshen up anyway.If he still has spring loaded tensioners and hasn't checked them in a while,that should go on the "to do" list
    Then decide where he wants his performance increase....Does he want to keep up with you,or pass you...lol:D
  15. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

How many miles on the scooter, 15000-30000 should not need anything major just upgrades. I am fortunate in that tools and skill will let me do my own. What is the budget and ability?

how
  16. JohnnyBiker

I would agree that he needs to get in there and at least do the tensioners. That way he can upgrade of it hasn't been done already. Pass me? LMFAO, no on that, he doesn't want to spend that kind of money.
    His bike is low mileage. Less than 15k I believe. Not really sure what his ability is. Budget? Not sure on that either he didn't say and I didn't ask but I get the feeling that he doesn't want to put a lot of money into it because he doesn't want to go into the top end. He is just at the starting point of "talking" about a little grunt in the throttle. I made some suggestions assuming that he has stock cams. He has no idea if they are stock or not. If he mentions that he wants to upgrade the engine again, then I will start pushing for more details.
  17. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

We could start a fund raiser for him to help put a taillight view to you. LOL I know, I am such a S/A
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  18. JohnnyBiker

We could. But we won't. Lol
  19. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

nice to hear from B/P on the site, how is your shoulder? Look at fans and anything spinning fast and think ( wow that could hurt )
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  20. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

J/B upgrades in the performance area can be a blast. love what I have done with my R/K. The site has been realitively quiet in that aspect. Please to all, share what you are doing and ride it like you rented it with full coverage LOL