1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A Son and a Father

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Mar 31, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, as you may remember, I have mentioned that my dad was looking to buy a motorcycle. He is still going to do that but I do think I have been able to sway him to take his time before he makes a decision on what bike to buy. Again, I really don't care what bike he buys, as long as it is the right one for him.

Over this past weekend, Hot Rider, my dad and I went to a pretty big bike show in St. Paul called the Donnie Smith Custom Bike Show. I invited my dad to the show to kind of feel out how his interest has either progressed or regressed over the hard winter about wanting to start riding. I would have to say that I was pleasantly reminded of the enthusiasm that I had when I first started to ride. Watching him look at the bikes and ask questions about the machinery and able to give him some information about some of the technology that is available was pretty cool. He looked liked a kid entering the sandbox for the first time.

After the show and as we were on our way home, I flat out asked him what his intentions were, if he was going to go through with it or not? (Mom kind of busting his balls), and he said, "hell yes!" He had said that he was "ANXIOUS" That was the word that I was looking for. At that time, I just felt compelled to say this to my father, I said, "dad, it will be a privilege to ride with you." I couldn't help it, but I just had to say those words to him.

This summer will be a great one. Thanks for reading!
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Have fun and be safe...
  3. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Easier to shop for now, just buy him riding gear for his birthday and fathers day.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

He may just surprise you and just buy one then call you up.:)
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

That is special..cherish that, not everyone gets to ride with their dad. You're a very lucky man. Cheers from here.
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Number 3 son is biting at the bit. I'm flying to Az in a week and renting a Road King. He and I will ride (he on his Victory ) up to the Salt River Canyon roads. First time we'll be riding together. It will be special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  7. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Good stuff for you and JB...

This year at Bike Week, my daughter and her husband rode with me. They bought a bike last summer... it was cool, really enjoyed it more with them.
  8. JohnnyBiker

I will. Just seeing his enthusiasm as he was looking at those bike was awesome. I am looking forward to it a lot that is for sure. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

It's a great feeling to ride with your kids , one of my son's , One of my Daughters ,& one of my other Daughters & & her Husband , all rode together, one custom bike S&S engine & son-in-laws Victory 8 Ball & two Harleys ,
    just let your dad chose his ride & way of riding ,& enjoy
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Great to hear Johnny, Fatboy & Cowboy. Sometimes I wish I had some family to ride with, but the guys that hang around Tattoo's shop are a good bunch to ride with. We don't do it often, but when we do, it's always an awesome experience. Our little gang is mostly choppers & bobbers.
  11. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

You guys with family members to ride with have it good, treasure the rides because they wont last forever. Dad gave up motorcycles years ago, and now the wife has sworn off bikes. I guess they will eventually forget how good the air feels at sundown on the back roads, and how nice the thrust of a motor, domestic or imported, feels when made to roar between your knees. I can't imagine hot August nights without at least a few evenings "crusin' the local strip" with the smells of hot tar and high octane in the air, and to be able to enjoy it with family would make it even better.
  12. JohnnyBiker

At least you have the memory. I have yet been able to experience that. :)

13. FLHTbiker

Johnny and Fatboy, you guys get all the memories you can get with dad and son. My dad and I shot Blackpowder and did the Rendezvous together for 20 years. Even though it was not motorcycle riding together I have some very fond memories. He did have a big Yamaha road bike and even rode across Oregon on his bike wearing his buckskins with his blackpowder rifle strapped to the bike to meet me at the Rendezvous. Yea, get as many memories as you can it will definitely be worth it.
  14. NHPROEQUIP

NHPROEQUIP Member

Did he find a bike yet? I'm sure what you told him made him very happy :)
  15. JohnnyBiker

No he hasn't found a bike yet. I am pretty sure that he will take his time to find what bike he wants.

16. NHPROEQUIP

NHPROEQUIP Member

Good that he will take his time, he wants to pick just the right one. It's a big purchase, so hopefully he's doing his research...good luck to him. And I'm sure you will have lots of great days ahead of you on the open road with your dad...
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd put him on a rental after he gets his license, and even if he has his
    license take him to the HD dealer and put him through the course, they are using the new 500 cc HD bikes here and it would be a good refresher course, if he doesn't have his license, it's the way to get it, much better than just going down
    to the DMV and having that pressure to pass (then again it's what I did)

Then rent him a bike each weekend, a couple hundred for a rental is way cheaper to find the bike you want vs spending a bunch of green and being stuck with the wrong bike...
  18. JohnnyBiker

I agree for the most part with this except for the renting of bikes. He'll get his endorsement the the safety course for sure he has pretty much committed to that. He will most likely just go and test ride a bunch of different bikes and it won't cost him a thing unless he wrecked one. Lol. I think we have a pretty good plan. He has a free bike to use until he decides so there is no pressure to hurry. :)

19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah but once he narrows it down rent if for a weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. FLHTbiker

Once he gets his enforcement let him ride yours :)