1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Acceptable oil use

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rkortan, Aug 21, 2008.

1. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Just finished servicing my bike after the ride to Sturgis and through some beautiful country. My bike ran great and I averaged around 43-45 mpg. I spent the winter working on the carb and installing the kit I found on this forum to get rid of the coughing through the carb. I am a happy camper now. I did use some oil though. My question is how much oil use is an acceptable amount. I think I put in two quarts in about 4000 miles. No smoke unless I reall got on it. Should I be concerned?............Thx Bob
    No oil coming out the air cleaner and no extra oil in tranny or chaincase.
    98 wide glide 43k on motor
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad ya had a good time and the bike ran great!!!
    that is not very many miles on the bike, i wouldnt think it is burning it. i have filled my oilbag to the full mark a few times and it would get rid of some. i started running it at the half full mark and it doesnt loose any between oil changes.....maybe try that and see if you quit loosing oil. how are the plugs? how often do you change the oil, and do you change the filter at the same time?.................:)
  3. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Both plugs look great. Slight dark tan/grey with no oil residue. Irridium plugs with amsoil that is usually changed at 2000 miles. On this trip I changed before I left and again when I got home. I decided that since I was adding oil and I was using an amsoil filter I would be ok with the longer change interval with all highway miles. I always put on a new filter with each oil change. I am going to try the 1/2 quart low theory and see what happens. Not to concerned though because I always check my oil at the beginning of the days ride.............Bob
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Bob, that is a lot of oil use for that many miles. Going 4000 miles using Amsoil is fine I wouldn't worry about that. I agree with Chuck try the lower fill amount first.
  5. duke76

duke76 New Member

Check your plugs, if they have the tell tale black crap on them then it is burning oil, I am on the other end of the spectrum, I dont think two quarts for 4000 miles is that much, that is only a quart for 2000 miles, I dont think I would lose any sleep over it, Air cooled engines will use some oil especially with the sever riding conditions at Sturgis stop and go traffice extended idling and hilly curvy roads such as iron mountain or neeles highway, constantly up shifting and downshifting. All th bikes I was with also used some oil when we were out there especially the evo. Todd
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that is interesting duke....i have an 06 electragllide with about 42k on the clock. 2up mostly and sometimes pulling a trailer, i change oil and filter 2500/3000 miles, using mobil 1 vtwin. i dont use any oil between changes....i start at the half mark when fresh and it is down about 1/4 inch from the half mark at change time.....neglidgible oil loss....... (wish i could spell):D
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008