1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

adapter bushings for bottom breather head to top breather backing plate

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by timsmcm, Mar 16, 2017.

1. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

Anyone know who might have something that will adapt this newer model backing plate to the older bottom breather style heads?
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

You might try the customer service of the breather unit (assuming aftermarket, right?) that you're wanting to adapt it to, or someone with a similar unit (Ness? Kuryakyn?).
  3. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

No its a complete breather unit of a 96 softail I believe. Complete with plastic backing plate. I am using this because I have 2 new foam filters for this setup and I am trying to keep the stock look. My bike is an 85 softail and I have had it since new and it is bone stock and I like it that way. I have other bikes with more hp than I can handle, this girl stays stock. Just like the cv carb.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

My bet is you are in the "make your own bracket" world, not many folks
    would adapt a stock backing plate, it's putting on stuff like Super E or Mikunis
  5. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

That's what I thought. I just figured it give it the old college try.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

A trip to the hardware store for a couple of 1/2" spacers and 1/2"longer mounting bolts in your diameter, a few washers and a reducer for the backing plate holes(optional).
    That's how I mounted a couple of head breather backing plates on my '90 Evo
  7. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

Yes that is probably how I will do it. Years ago when this was done a lot there was someone making adapter bushings just for this. I really need to buy a small mill & lathe machine because I am always rigging and spend more time than its worth looking to rig things.