1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Adjusting shoe

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Jan 28, 2008.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

looking to replace the primary chain adjusting shoe. I know thew has a replacement that holds constant tension on the chain instead of using the nylon/plastic adusting shoe. Anyone? I seen it in here a while back,a good while back, any reccomendations? 02 wideglide.
  2. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

its the hayden m-6 tensioner

Chain tensioners
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I went with the hydraulic chain tensioner, although it might be the same one that fxdxsteve posted, I can't remember. I'll have to look....nope I just looked it up, it's the HB-125. It seems to work well, but I only have about 1K on it. It does shift smoother though. The HB is hydraulic, and the M-6 has shims to keep the tension. I thought the HB was a better choice. JMO Good luck and let us know what you choose and why.
  4. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

I looked at the S.O.Hotbikes tensioner although I liked the looks of it more I got the m6 at a swapmeet for 15 bucks so I went with it it works fine and I haven't had to add shims in 40000 miles so I'm happy with it
  5. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks

thanks I'll be looking into all of again.
  6. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

went with the

O-H boys 100.00 flat includes shipping. cool website too... nice dude on the phone. thanks again.
  7. 02dyna

02dyna New Member

Hayden Enterprises, haydensm6.com:)
  8. TM103

TM103 Active Member

voodoo1, what is H.O.,'s addy? Th:banghead: anks
  9. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

10. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

Hayden's system uses shims to set the spring tension. They recommend checking the setting every 20k. I know of one bike that has run 60k before needing to add one of the thin shims, like 1/16th inch. That's good service, and they've been making them for 18 years.

I have three Harleys in my garage. I have a 1991 FLHS, my wife's 2005 Super Glide Custom, and they both have an M6 installed in them. My 2007 Road King Police bike will have one soon. Hayden has the prototype ready for it, and I should receive it tomorrow. I'll be testing it for them. I think that much of the products they have.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

M6

HB125

HD has one for 06 and up and it will fit back to other years.

HD's is ratcheting and spring loaded

HB125 is hydraulic and the one I use because I put it in before the HD one came out.

HB125 I have works fine.
  12. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

I have read on some sites of problems with the HD unit. Appears to be with the fact that it ratchets tight, then has no way to back off if needed. Seal and bearing failures were talked about. I have not had any issues with my 2007 Road King at 10k. In my opinion, I think the HB125 or the Hayden unit is a better design than the HD unit. I do like the HB125, but I'll be putting the Hayden in mine.
  13. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

yuppers

what FX gave ya as a website. Thanks HRK always good to see your input.:cool: and everyone else as well.
    Later.
    Voo1 out!!!!
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

call me old school.....but for 40 some years i have been manualy adjusting my shoe. it gives me a chance to look around in there and see what is going on. i would be afraid if i got one of the new adjusters i would not catch something bad before it happened.....and it is fun to tinker!!!!!:)
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Thing is the newer HD's dont' have the inspection cover access anymore, so you have to have an self adjuster.

I think the early bugs with the HD adjuster have been worked out, it's been on every 08 and 07 on the street, that's what over 200,000 bikes?
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I'am like chuck I like to look around in there , Don't think I want a cover without A insp cover , I'll be buying a few gaskets a year , just to see inside
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

my 06 has a cover....but if it didnt it only takes a few to get the whole primary off......if careful, it can be done about 3 times with no leaks.