1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Adopted a soldier

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I adopted a soldier at church today. I've already bought a bunch of magazines (without scantily clad women because I hear those will get thrown out). I have a "man" quilt I'd send, but I don't know if that's appropriate. Is that something that would be appreciated, or would it just get thrown to the side or torn up? Any ideas?
  2. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Keep in mind that I'm in the Air Force...our tents were Air Conditioned. If you had sent that to me I would have kissed you, as it was hard to sleep when they had the tents "cooled" down to 75 during the day. We worked nights over there when it was 55-60 which would have been awesome if the daytime average wasn't 120+. So yeah, send it...and a nice note of thanks, nothing too elaborate...just enough to say you care and appreciate the sacrifice. Which most of us view as a priviledge and honor rather than a sacrifice.
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Good for you!!! Coming from some experiance, here are some things to consider.... the current mess going on has been going on for a couple years now.... baby wipes, and toilet paper are not needed to the same degree now...supply lines and shopping has become more established. packaged sweets such as cookies and candy are nice, but keep in mind the heat....chocolet melts at 120 degrees (home made is even better, but not sure what the current status of "arrival" is for homemade) !! (still tastes good tho!). The quilt thing is dependent on recepiant.... Someone like ME....I would love it...my wife is in the process of making me a "deployment quilt" as I am currently projected for may-sept deployment... A quilt can add warmth to chilly desert evenings, add color to living spaces.....and as most troops are now in fixed locations, will not add huge burdon to packing up and moving as would have happened in the first year. I will also be taking a small teddy bear (same one that went with me in my Humvee Ambulance during Desert Storm...My daughter has it now, but knows that it went with me the first time, and want me to take it with me again..... most guys probably don't have teddy bears tho.... (never know, they may just not show them!). HD t shirts would be fun for most...even if they don't ride..... did I say candy and treats??? :D magazines can also be good. Many cases, just the fact that someone cares and is writting is good moral boost for many of them....especially the single guys that don't have family. Good luck and have fun putting it together!!
    Nurse
  4. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Teddy Bear???? We might have a new name for you here now, Nurse...heh heh heh....AF Teddy Bear Nurse, anyone? :roflmao:

J/K....Glad to hear there are still peeps out there adopting our troopies. Makes me feel there is still hope....gotta keep holdin' on to hope, it's all we got anymore.
  5. AFNurse

That's ok....figured that it might get a comment or 2:roflmao: ...at nearly 40 (later this year!), I am pretty comfortable with who I am....and what others think/say seldom has much impact on me! When I took the bear during Storm, my sister had given it to me.... about 10" white bear...NEVER has cleaned up to anything better then dingy gray since then!!! Fits in a cargo pocket pretty good, tho a bit tight! My daughter (going to be 7 this month) KNOWS that it is a special bear, but doesn't really understand why.....is willing to let me take it again when I go this summer (pending that I go of course!).

What is really funny was last week when my daughter wanted to spend some Christmas money at Build a bear.....how many adult guys where there getting a bear... (now I suspect that most of the bears were for girlfriends, but who knows!).
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks! I'll send it. Even if he doesn't use it, I'm sure someone will. It has a lot of hunting/woodsy fabrics in it, including a camo print that's made up of silhouettes of women like you see on a truck driver's mud flaps. It's very subtle though, and unless you really focus on it, you don't see it right off.
  7. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

I spent time there for Desert Storm and things are much different for the guys who are now deployed. My son just finished his second tour as a Marine. My wife runs a program where a church will adopt a whole Marine platoon. For the frontline guys they still need the baby wipes, toiletries and socks as they don't have tents or facilities to stay in most of the time. My boy slept under his Light Armored Vehicle most nights. With it being winter time in Iraq/Afganistan, anything that will help keep you warm is appreciated. My son said his face mask with the skull on it was a big hit. Another thing that we sent quite often were the chemical self activated warming pouches that hunters put in their pockets. Keeps the trigger fingers warm on patrol. Bless all of you who do send packages to the troops. Nurse, we had it pretty good in the Air Force with all of the conveniences such as heat and coolers. We even got hot community showers! The Marines and Army aren't quite as fortunate when they are patrolling.
  8. AFNurse

I agree....I went through Storm as an Army Medic.....60 miles to the hot shower point....each way......got a shower once every 2-3 weeks on a good cycle....MRE 2-3 meals a day......for months..... Now that I am in the AF, things are GOOD. I will never forget my Army upbringing, but am glad that as I age (hopefully gracefully), things are getting softer for us older folk!!!:rolleyes: :D
  9. AFNurse

By the way...you can adopt me also if I deploy this summer! I am quite sure that I won't have any problems with a t-shirt quilt to go along with my HD/photo quilt wife is making! :D
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I knew that was coming!

If you do go, pick out the shirts and send them to me. If I can send a quilt to a stranger, I can certainly make one for someone I know. Well kinda know. Let me know when it happens and I'll PM you my address.
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Abby My hat's off to You for this kind act I had no idea this was going on other then the Mother's you here about on the news doing it for there own kid (son / daughter)
    hey Rader I mean AFN be sure to let us all know if & when you deploy I for onw will send leter & care packages to you , I know how good it made a man feel to get some thing from home / or a friend , & you can throw in A T shirt size & I'll send you a local HD shirt
  12. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

just a thought but maybe you can put a pic up some of the folks may have you make them one take the profit to adopt more soldiers, there might be something to this abby., a ground roots thing.
  13. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

hats off to you hot01, i don't know ya well enuff to call you Abby. I retired Dec 1,07 after 26 years of shooting at airplanes( sorry AFNurse:D ) melding young minds under the smokey hat and crushing rock and teaching dozers. I was fortunate that I never got shot at in those 26 years. Did spend 6 years in Germany, Graf and Scweinfurt. People like you and others on this forum are why our men and women serve. Thank you.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Abby Kudos to you we need more people that think the way you do.

Sarge, AF Nurse, JohnnyReb, Vyber8er, and anyone that I missed, thanks to each of you for your service, without your assistance we wouldn't have the freedoms we enjoy.
  15. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Abby,

I think this forum should pull together and create a package of the itmes that are mostkly needed, we should also get with you and help you pay for the total cost of getting this to the guys and gals out there. I think that if we put a list together and then send to you, www.bike-talk.com would be very popular.

I ride with Patriot Guard Riders every once in a while and they do the same thing sometimes.

Please let us know. I would be willing to contribute whatever I can.

Regards,
    German
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

17. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

OK, wait a second... I have a better idea.

First of all. One of the biggest things I hate about living here is the mail/delivery service. I have never in my life seen such a lack of professionalism, or even an ability to do a fairly simple job, as I have at the post offices around here - and they don't even deliver mail to the homes! I've started a letter to the Postmaster General, but I'm not sure it will make it. Because there's no mail delivery, there's always a huge line at the post office, so I only go if I really have to, and I have to brace myself for it. As far as package delivery, I've been waiting two weeks for a package I ordered. Not sure that I'll ever see it. My Blockbuster online movies were sent out over a week ago and I still haven't seen them in my post office box. :banghead:

But, I used to teach a quilting class in NH and also made quilts for families who lost their homes in fires with the ex's sisters and mother. When I was at church on Sunday I asked if I could start a quilting group and we could make quilts to donate. Maybe if that comes together, which I think it will, we can donate them to troops instead. There are a couple of groups that take quilts to soldiers who are recovering in the hospital. I'm sure there would be a need for fabric, supplies, and mailing costs. However...

It's not a great idea to get into sending donations for things like that to people on the Internet. I know and trust me, and I feel like I can trust some of you, but I've seen things like this go really bad on other sites. Maybe we can figure out a way so that Bike Talk can chip in and send quilts from Bike Talk. I'd want Ken to give it his blessing first.

Sorry. I think it's a great idea, but I don't want it to turn into a headache for everyone either.
  18. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Abby,

And I agree with you 100%, we don't want this to become a burden for you, I think your idea is awesome, and I am willing to cooperate however I am needed. Post offices in CO have bad reputations, my brother in law is out there and he has mentioned the post office nightmares around Erie.

Lets just see what Ken says and how we can best organize it for everyone. It would be good if we had an inside contact in the military that could direct us, as to the best possible way to get these packages in the right hands. I have heard what you mentioned before and it can be a pain.

I think I will call my buddy at Camp Lejune and at New River USMC Air Station and inquire what can be done. I'll let you know later.

Regards,
    German
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya i can see what your saying abby...i withdraw my "im in".........sorry to hear about your po service....i dont recieve mail either, to far into the thicket, but the po in town is great....they bend over backward to help.....if you can get in touch the the post master general....over your district and complain, things should get handled for you. call em, not mail em.
  20. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

colorado:roflmao: postal:roflmao: service:roflmao: ohh sorry....................:roflmao: welcome to the land of greenies :D