1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Advanced Timing

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Just curious, since I changed my timing curve, (advanced) is there a real need for me to choke my bike on a clod start?
  2. JohnnyBiker

The main reason why I am asking this is because yesterday I was reading through my SM and it had said that advanced timing will help with gas mileage. I have noticed lately that if I have my chock on since I have advanced my timing that I get a small gas spray out of my tail pipe at start up with my chock on. Once I turn my chock off, it goes away.

BTW guys, since I have advanced my timing and the reinstall of the v-ductor, I have noticed significant power gain and gas mileage...:cool:
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I'am going to say yes it holds the fuel/air mix till the engine warms up , even in our heat wave here I have to pull my chock just a 1/4 to get a good start up
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I very rarely use my chock, even in winter, I give the throttle 1/4 - 1/2 twist let up and fire it up, let idle for a few minutes and take off. I usually have to set the thumb screw to hold an idle while warming up
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

watch for detonation with advanced timing,
    especially with the crappy fuel in the Midwest
  6. JohnnyBiker

I am running 92 octane. I haven't heard any knocking so I think that I am good there.

I have never heard knocking or pinging before, will it be something that is constant or once in awhile??
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

you'll know it when ya hear it, mostly when lugging the motor like pulling a hill in 5th gear at 40-45 mph. sounds like sonar, ping ping rattle ping BOOM. and it stops.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Thanks DW, then I have nothing to worry about then. :D
  9. hotroadking

Not true. Detonation can exist without you hearing it. It's why engine now use knock sensors.

Put the tts on
    My 09 went for a ride and it recorded detonation. I never heard it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. JohnnyBiker

What is a TTS?
  11. JohnnyBiker

Kind of sucks that I don't have EFI huh?? :banghead:
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

no, it does not suck...............
  13. JohnnyBiker

He is talking about a system to detect ping that requires EFI. :rant: A lot of good that does me huh? :D
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

keep the bike in good tune, quality gas, dont lug it, your good to go.........
  15. JohnnyBiker

I always run 92 or higher octane. It is hard for me to lug the engine it runs just so well, and now that I added the V-ductor along with advancing my timing.. it is like this.....:rocket_bike: :D
  16. hotroadking

Actually my 124 carb has a s&s ist with a knock sensor

Point was that you can't always hear it with loud pipes etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. JohnnyBiker

Just razzing ya a little.:D
  18. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

JB when you say you advanced the timing,did you rotate the ignition plate or is a selectable ignition with 4 timing curves and you selected a different curve??
    It definitely doesn't suck to have a carbed bike...but detonation sucks...with you running 10.5:1 I think you're flirting with disaster advancing the timing,when you advance timing by rotating the plate you are moving the point where the plugs fire farther from TDC...eg. if the factory timing is 12*BTDC and you advanced the timing 4 degrees the plug would ignite the fuel mix at 16*BTDC running the risk of the the ignited fuel mix pushing the piston back down before it reaches TDC(ping,ping,boom)Don't wanna scare ya, but you have to be careful when you advance timing on a high compression engine....a selectable ignition will give you 4 curves in which the speed the advance is all in is usually fastest in position one and a gradual slower rise to all in with each of curve 2,3 and 4.... my build with a Dyna 2000i at 10.5:1 I had to go to curve 3,3rd slowest rise to prevent pinging....
  19. JohnnyBiker

Yes I have a selectable ignition, and no I did not rotate the plate. I think that I am on curve two? I would have to check, but it is not the one for real high perf engines. The setting that I have it on now only brings my advance curve up 500 rpm faster. I think that I am ok on this setting. My indy and I set it and he test rode it before he gave me the bike back. This was last summer but then I turned it back down, now back up here just recently with the addition of the V-ductor.

With this combination I am geting way better response and gas mileage too. Haven't checked it yet, but I think that I am getting about 55-57 mpg. (just a guess).
  20. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

OK,good...I thought when you said you advanced the timing you rotated the plate...what you really did was select a timing curve with a faster rise to full advance...sounds like you're on the right curve now...:D