1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Advantage/Disadvantage

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 16, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I was reading a really old thread about cams to where it was asking about the Wild Thing cams. One of the participants had pointed out that one of the main differences of the Wild Thing Cams is that they are not "symmetrical." Meaning that their lift numbers vary on both the intake and exhaust side. Example, a Wild Thing grind could be something like, 548/510. My question is this, is there an advantage of having a grind like that over a "symmetrical" grind like a RS .557/.557 grind?
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

you will notice that most of the split lift . and split duration cams are lower on the exhaust side , and that the intake close is also retarded . more cylinder pressure is allowed with the later intake close point. 10,25 .1 and above the lower lift on the exhaust side keeps the motor from over exhausting and builds lower end torque. and moves the power band longer towards the right also. best if used with his pistons that have a 15 deg crown to match . nice set up. tc1 is a very nice bolt in for 88 and 96 stock . tc2 is a ripper but likes comp!If an engine has equal airflow potential on the intake and exhaust sides, a single-pattern cam is sufficient. When the airflow differs markedly between the intake and exhaust, a dual-pattern cam should be used to balance flow through the engine. In street applications, they help compensate for a full exhaust system. The amount of difference between the intake and exhaust lobes is based on the cylinder head's characteristics, the intake and exhaust system design,
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  3. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

Makes sense...TY BP for the ed.

Aloha....Mike
  4. JohnnyBiker

Full exhaust system? Do you mean one with a cat. conv.?
  5. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

I am absolutley 100% positive I think he might possibly could mean the more restrictive exhaust systems found on street bikes vs the more open exhaust systems found on race bikes, and yes that would include systems with catalytic converters. :)

But I could be wrong :roflmao:

Aloha...Mike
  6. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

a split lift/duration cam will help if the exaust your using is fairly resrictive or your int/ex ratio isnt up to snuff (poorly flowing heads).with good heads & a good exaust system,i never really saw any difference (or advantage)
  7. JohnnyBiker

What percentage of cams that are on the market are a split lift/duration cam? I can't think of any off of the top of my head that I have looked at in a long time that I have noticed the difference? I remember a long time ago that almost all cam profiles were split. What changed in the industry to drive them to a "symmetrical" grind? Was it the advancement of exhaust systems?
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It's a mike roland thing, he's the guru of these cams, most HD are same on both,
  9. JohnnyBiker

So is that the only time that a split duration and lift cam will be beneficial? When exhaust is an issue??
  10. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I believe Post #6 explains it simply.
  11. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Say what? R U speaking English? :roflmao:
  12. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Oh God, here we go again. :eek: