1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Af nurse paint

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by chucktx, May 23, 2007.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

some of you know i have his tank and pac to apply paint and graphics to...thought we would start a thread and i will load progress pics of the process......all the discolored spots are repairs to the pac and lid. we hope you enjoy ........

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Looking pretty pathetic right now.....looked better before with the scratches!!! ;) :eek: I KNOW this is the right thing to do tho and am REALLY looking forward to the end result!!!! Can't wait to see progress on the gas tank also!!!

So, what did you think of my jerry rig set up to mount a 80's pak to a 2004 bike??!! :D
  3. chucktx

it was a very solid mount, and the only way to tell it was modified was to remove it, as i did. i think ya did a great job, a bit overkill with the diamond plate, but in the area it is, overkill is a good thing. i just hope you remember how it goes back together!!! l0ol lol:roflmao: :D
  4. chucktx

here are a few more....the tank sandblasted....all pieces primed and in finish basecoat.....drying now....due to humidity may take a day or so.....

Attached Files:

5. chucktx

oh ya....if anyone has a question, i will attempt to answer it for ya....
  6. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Yea...Will ya paint my tins ?
  7. chucktx

8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

AFN & CHUCK what shape was the T pack in when you got it ,, ie was it cracked? & scracthed up ? or just a older one , I have heard that crack's if fixed will recrack from the vibration on our bikes , I ask this because I'am not a body repair man & have passed up on a couple of T pack's because of crack's
    :cool:
  9. chucktx

cowboy, there were no cracks. there were gouges i found and scratches. some cracks are repairable. others are not. i have repaired cracks and even patched holes. they need to be reinforced from the inside. i use thin tin and fiberous glass to make these repairs. i will also use small pop rivits to help hold the material, that later are sanded away. it is going to depend on the crack/break. i am recieving a tourpac later, with the latch holders on the lid missing. i wll let ya know how i do it. the lid to af's tour pack was from a different bike than the lower box. it was red under the black, the box was black.
  10. AFNurse

INTERESTING!!!! Something I would NEVER have known!!! Seems like it fits ok tho!! So, I guess I won't complain too much! :eek: :D
  11. cowboy

Thank's chuck, that helps out a bit , I have a aftermarket T Pack right now , but would like to fine a decent priced HD style some time later on
  12. AFNurse

cowboy, short of ebay or a lucky find at a swap meet or something.....don't count on it!!! :eek: I can not believe how much I paid for that tour pak now that I know it was actually 2 different boxes.... new at stealer is outragous.....and used in "who knows what kind of condition" is risky....I got LUCKY!!!! Good luck!!!
  13. cowboy

AFN, I have looked on e-pay, & the last one I seen at a swap the guy wanted more then HD , I bought one aftermarket T pack off of e -bay last year for $135 with shipping , it work's good just not as big , & not as good looking as the HD style
  14. AFNurse

I would bet that you got the same piece of junk that works, but is smaller and quality is iffy....as the one that I got before I replaced it with the OLD HD box!!!
  15. chucktx

lets see what happens with the pac i recieve.....you may want to own it when i finish it.....also, no updates untill next week.....i didnt feel the paint was ready to be messed with.....y'all have a safe weekend and be carefull. gonna do a day ride tomorrow, start at about 7am,,,not sure when it will end.......lol lol
  16. AFNurse

sounds like fun on that other pak chuck! Enjoy your ride. We had rain etc here, so I can only imagine how well paint drys in this wet...NOT!!! :eek: :D Hope your destination is good!!
  17. chucktx

starting on the pac lid.....this is how most all paint jobs start out....

Attached Files:

18. AFNurse

Looking cool! Can't wait to see the final products!!!!
  19. chucktx

couple more....

Attached Files:

20. AFNurse

Loving it!!! Just had a thought...I sent an email to you addressing this more, but then had a thought cross my mind......are we planning this in color or white/grayscale as it is shown? (I have no idea what you are using to do this "mockup"....paint, chalk, white colored pencil......:rolleyes: so I am clueless!) I am liking the looks LOTS right now!

Know you were talking about painting the box black...then something like 3 coats of clear, the art, then couple more of clear...... now I am seeing the mockup...... Am I missing something? Last I knew you had the black primer/basecoat......looks mat/semi gloss at this point.....have you put on the black paint (or is that the basecoat?) any clear yet? guess I am just lost in where within the process!!! Curiosity kills the cat ya know!:D Looking forward to more pics and progress!!! Cant wait to see what you are going to do with the sides, back, and tank! :cheers: