1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Air Shocks

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by DKIN21, Oct 18, 2006.

1. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I'm New To The Bagger World, Just Bought A 07 Road King Screamin Eagle, I've Been Told To Run Any Where From 14lbs Of Air To 40lbs. Can't Seem To Get Ride Dialed In. We Ride 2 Up About 98% Of The Time Together We Are About 350 To 375 Lbs. Keep In Mind This Bike Does Not Have The Front Fairings Or The Hard Saddle Bags And Tour Pak Like The Ultra, Its Does Have Saddle Bags But Bike Is Still Not As Heavy As The Ultra. Any Suggestions On How Much Air To Run In Shocks??
  2. Harley Rider

Harley Rider New Member

I have a 03 screamin eagle,running close to your same weight,have tried pressure from 7#s to 35#s and i'am currently getting a great ride at 27#s.
  3. CD

CD Guest

HD air shocks are a PITA to get adjusted right initially. After that, the ride is okay. What you have to decide is that is it bottoming out or too much air not allowing proper travel. I start with 10 psi and keep increasing air until the ride is smoother. You need a good hand pump with a bleed valve or you will just be forever guessing. Progressive has some nice hand pumps with gauges and bleed valves and no loss reliefs.
  4. 04flhtci

04flhtci New Member

5. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Those Draggerbaggers are cool.

Since you answered a question I had about rear air shocks. I never tried above 10 lbs but I will try it now.

What about fronts? How high has anyone gone with front shock pressure and gotten a better ride??
  6. 04flhtci

04flhtci New Member

:confused: No air shocks on the front.
  7. CD

CD Guest

Adjusting the fork air presssure was the same way but, the MOCO went to a cartridge style setup a few years back so AFAIK there is no pressure adjustment.
  8. Tomflhrci98

Thanks CD,
    Well,, I guess I am out of the loop on a couple of things;
    1. What does AFAIK mean?
    2. Is the new set up smoother? If so. could I get parts to change my 1998 forks into these?
    Tom
    Funny thing is I just bought chromed lowers about 6 months ago and the stealer didn't tell me anything about this.
  9. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'll try not to step on Cd's toes here AFAIK is as far as I know..[I think]
    I don't think the new cartridge system is any smoother than the air assisted front forks on your FL. I don't know what you're running for air on the front but I'd look in the owners manual and use the recommended numbers for two up touring. I've got a '04 so no adjustment in the front on mine I'm running about 30 in the rear. I've got the profile shocks so they're a little easier to bottom out. I had a 2000 that I sold to a friend of mine..[ at the time I wasn't really into riding a big heavy bike like an Electra Glide..I was more into sport touring on a Ducati ..a couple of long slow trips cured that back to the E-G I slunk...I think the old bike has a nicer ride on rough pavement or hardpack gravel. I would play with the air on both ends before I start making changes in equipment..CD has got some springs and shocks that'll work well on your bike
  10. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Not to get off the topic, but this is a neat tool...
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    Just plug in what acronym you want to find.
  11. Tomflhrci98

Thanks guys.

I was hangin in there pretty good with all the ROFL's and IMHO's and stuff but AFAIK through me.

I thought CD was selling insurance... yaknow the commercial with the duck!

I'll keep that link Killer .. thanks

CYAL8ER

just found that one on the link.:D
  12. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Good link. I'll use that one a lot around here. I figured out the PITA but the AFAIK threw me.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

As Far As I Know.............................:D
    chuck
  14. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

draggin baggers

looked at the dragginbaggers link seen the price @ 499.00, picked up a compresser from a self contained air ride seat measures about 6"x6"x2" with the air switch and is 12 volt on demand air, weighs about 2-3 lbs, going to build my own on the fly air shock adjustment and install it in the right bag with a duets type sure seal plug so if needed I can drop the bag and hold the air I figure my cost should be in the ballpark of 70-80.00 plus time
  15. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

****, I WAS TALKING ABOUT AIR PRESSURE FOR THE REAR SHOCKS, I KNOW THE FRONT ONES ARE NOT AIR, BUT STILL DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER ABOUT THE REARS:rolleyes:
  16. chucktx

OK....THIS IS HOW I ARRIVED AT A PERFECT RIDE WITH MY AIR SHOCKS....i started with 20psi, loaded the bike as it normally would be, went for a couple hour ride.....i then adjusted to a ride i like.....20psi loaded, 12 unloaded.....nobody is going to be able to tell you the exact pressure for your load, and riding comfort. get a pump and go for a ride, a lot of rides. any excuse to go riding is a good one!!:D
    chuck
  17. Tomflhrci98

Yeah, I tried that over the weekend. I ended up lowering it back down to 5psi. 5psi in the front and back.

It just seamed to ride smoother. If I try 0psi, it bottoms out and doesn't feel good in a hard turn.

AFAIK this is MHO, OK? :eek:

T
  18. chucktx

OK........:D
    chuck
  19. buck

buck New Member

If the SE rear shocks are the Low Profile(I Believe they are) they need more air that the stock length shocks. I have them on my '04 FLHRCI and run at about 35lbs when riding two up.....a little more when loaded down. The max is 50......