1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Air Suspension

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by softtail, Oct 6, 2007.

1. softtail

softtail New Member

Hi, Softtail here.
    Haven't been on for quite a while but just came back. Have a question.
    I have a '96 Heritage with 20K miles. 10K in the past 15 months.
    I am interested in installing air ride suspension in the rear. Anyone have any experience with this? I am looking at the CCCS - SAS system. Fully contained with onboard compressor. Supposed to be a bolt in replacement on softails. I am a big boy and I put a lot of miles on at a time. Just looking for more comfort.
    Thanks for listening.
  2. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

The only air suspension I ever rode was what came on my '02 Road King. I didn't like it because it seemed like it was wallering in the curves so I took it off and replaced with Progressive 440's (at least I think thats the number). I like them the bike handles better and they are easily adjustable without tools for stiffness.The dang things are pricey though. Jireh had the best deal on them. AL
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am not familiar with the suspension you are looking at, but i do like the stock air suspension on my 06 electraglide. i dont ride as hard as i used to so it may act the same as al is talking about in tight twistys and such. im am more into comfort as i do long rides also....:)
  4. softtail

softtail New Member

Air Suspension-Thanks

Thanks guys for the response. I have never ridden an air ride before although my brother has a Road King I could try. My '96 Heritage is still stock although I have done some mods to the carb and new SE balogna cut slip ons. The original owner had drilled the baffles and they were very irritating to ride due to the high pitch from the exhaust. Power was way down also.

Went with the new replacement SE slip ons as well as a stage one rebuild on the carb. 180 main jet and 45 idle jet. Went full advance on the timing - gave me 25 degrees. Lost all of the starting issues, as well as the coughing and hesitation on twisting the wick. No backfire either. It is now quite pleasant to ride and power is great. Dang EPA. The '97 motor can get 35 degrees but as stock, mine won't. Not enough slot in the plate to get that much. Has been extremely reliable to date after the mods.

I did let the original owner ride it after I did the mods and he couldn't believe the difference.

I ride with the PGR and the missions are usually long distances. Will keep the '96 Heritage. Great styling and runs great. Just getting long in the tooth on suspension though.

I did change the fork oil though. Went with 30 weight motor oil. Has taken all the bottoming out of the forks, and the clanking. Will change it again this winter when get some time.

Enough for now ,
    Thanks for the ear.

Bruce