1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

almost ate the back end of a cage!!!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Aug 24, 2004.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

I spent all day riding in a group forseveral hundred miles..I got ten miles from home and I was the first turn riding alone when this a mid-size SUV decides to turn left in front of me after she was about twenty feet past the road!!!( maybe it stalled or something but she stopped with the quickness!!
    :mad: She used No signal and had no brake lights!!! I hit the brakes front one first (usual) by a millo-sec then the back brake..skid for about twelve feet-15ft then as the bike rear end came around to the left I backed off the brakes and held it/hold on for the funky forward momentum :eek: thing to happen then back on the brakes....I got stopped about one foot from the rear bumper of the SUV and then she puts on her turn signal and dang nears turn right in front of three other bikes!!! . I just drove on past....that all happened in about 2 seconds at 55 miles per hour... good thing I had a little room..anybody My buddy went past the marks yesterday and said there was about 15ft straight then widened out( where the bike slid) then that was it..anyone Is thank goodness for 18 yrs of off road riding on the slide tech..but gotta admit alot more concern on an 02 wide glide... but faired much better than two years ago when I had no time and got blasted from a side road....anyone got any tech sites for evasive manueving for big bikesfor people to read..not the first close call or first brake ride for life but ya never know what you can learn from this site...almost ruined my Daytona plans!!!
    :mad: should have licked her door in on my way by her!! :D
  2. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

revised the lick to kick then again....

I spent all day riding in a group forseveral hundred miles..I got ten miles from home and I was into the first turn riding alone when this a mid-size SUV decides to turn left in front of me after she was about twenty feet past the road to turn onto!!!( maybe it stalled or something but she stopped with the quickness!!
    She used No signal and had no brake lights!!! I hit the brakes front one first (usual) by a millo-sec then the back brake..skid for about twelve feet-15ft then as the bike rear end came around to the left I backed off the brakes and held it/hold on for the funky forward momentum thing to happen then back on the brakes....I got stopped about one foot from the rear bumper of the SUV and then she puts on her turn signal and dang nears turn right in front of three other bikes!!! . I just drove on past....that all happened in about 2 seconds at 55 miles per hour... good thing I had a little room.. My buddy went past the marks yesterday and said there was about 15ft straight then widened out( where the bike slid) then that was it..Is thank goodness for 18 yrs of off road riding on the slide tech..but gotta admit alot more concern on an 02 wide glide... but faired much better than two years ago when I had no time and got blasted from a side road....anyone got any tech sites for evasive manueving for big bikesfor people to read..not the first close call or first brake ride for life but ya never know what you can learn from this site...almost ruined my Daytona plans!!!
    should have kicked her door in on my way by her!!
  3. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

Really glad you lived to write about it. Those left-turns-in-front-of-you are DEATH. I 'expect' to be run over all the time. Finger on the horn, toe on the brake. Eyes wide open. Trust nothing. Especially a f**king SUV. I hate those the most. I got run off to the road shoulder earlier this year by a big white SUV. Scary.

As for evasive manuevering: I go to a forest perserve parking lot and practice fast stops so I know the limits of skidding. I do tight turns, weaving, and dead stop balancing. Practice makes safer. Remeber the TWO SECOND rule for spacing between you and what's ahead of you. You could possibly look into a motorcycle riding course. Nothing lame about learning from professionals.

I skiied on my palms and forearms at 40mph after taking a spill.( My fault for trusting my mirror while changing lanes. A car nipped the handelbars and down I went.) My advice is DON'T DO THAT. I still have the road rash scars 20 years later.

Ride safe.

Yo, down the road,

Painter
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

MSF or Motorcycle Safety Foundation has an advanced riders course, you'll learn more in a few days then you could learn in a lifetime on the road by yourself. Not that experience doesn't count but experience coupled with education is a far superior tool.

Check with your local MSF groups and take the two day course.

I had a guy in a Jag almost pull out in front of me in Daytona this weekend, some lights are down still flashing Yellow one way red the other, I should have been going slower, and he stopped but it could have been a real problem.

Letting off the rear to regain traction is a good thing, lots of folks think that when you slide you are slowing down the best way, but that's not true, the best is when the tire is just barely rolling.
  5. Seahag

Seahag New Member

6. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

These stories of wrecking on a bike are horrid. My best tip for safe riding is to go slow, scan ahead, plan for evasive action.

Unlike sky-diving, cave-diving, bungy jumping, tequila shot contests, and other dangerous hobbies, motorcycling is in a class of its own. ;)

GO SLOW.
    LOOK COOL.

AND WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING
    RIDE LIKE THE WIND.

Yo, down the road (and not down ON the road),

Painter
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  7. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

The first thing I do when I saddle up, before I pull out of the driveway, is get my head right. I do that by saying to myself that everyone on the road today is going to try and kill me. If they don't get me, their animals and the weather will do it.

If you get lazy or daydream in your auto, you have some repairs to do. On your bike, you get mangled or die.
  8. Seahag

Seahag New Member

This may not be for everyone

ffflhtcui's comment brought something to mind that may help....The first thing I do when I get on my bike (usually) is say a quick prayer for safety...for myself and often for all bikers on the road. I realize not everyone is a believer but for those who are...prayer is not only for after an accident. So far so good; and while it may be just coincidence, I feel more at peace when I do...and how many of us do other things for simple peace of mind...like putting on oil coolers when you live in Minnesota :rolleyes:
  9. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks

thanks to all...yeah I am always looking ahead and staying clear as best as possible. This is far from the first evasive manuevering I have had to do over the years. Best to stay calm and always try and have an out. I will check out that online site for advance riders courses,can't hurt to refresh my mind on things. I have taken every car and bike I owned somewhere where I can see what it will do under severe stopping and swerving just to get to know what can happen. Hopefully some of these courses will show actual footage of bikes in evasive action and even explain some characteristics of what "bikes/bikers tend to do" both good and bad.