1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Alpine Texas

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by cardboard, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. cardboard

3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

have fun and stay safe!!!!!!
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

cool makes me want to ride .......................friggin cold and wind
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Hey cardboard where the pic's ?
  6. cardboard

Were going in May,
    Ask Chucktx where the pictures are. Been trying to git him to go with us.
    I will miss him:D
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Do you know anything about the gasoline situation? We're heading that way and trying to figure out the best route around Big Bend without adding in time for running out of gas - again. We've heard it's 150 miles between stations. Do you know where there are stops along there, more specifically, in Presidio?
  8. cardboard

Been told there is plenty of good gas down there. You need to know the range of yer bike and if you had a Garmin GPS on yer bike it would tell you where the service stations are and you could call them.
    I'm going with a dude that spends most of his time leaving college station and goes down there.
    Where it gits tighter to find gas is in Big Bend.
    Hope you don't git lost.
    I will have my Zumo 550 on and mark the whole trip and I can zoom out and tell which roads are the main ones.

Make sure you take yer drivers license and know the laws. there will be check points inside the U.S you will go threw in places.
  9. cardboard

Aguilar Service Station - Presidio, TX, 79845 - Citysearch

I know the service stations can be 90 miles and farther apart, you have to plan yer route by the range of the bike you ride and the stations.

Have you thought about taking a water bottle.
    I Open it and put ice in it before I leave in the mornin and fill it with water. I used the heck out of it last year when we was in Bracketville area.
    Don't know what kind of bike you have but you might want to take water. I would take murine eye drops and some vasaline and things like that, the dry builds up in yer eyes pretty bad.
    Have you ridden or been very long on the desert before ? Things Stick,p r i c k, or bite. Rattle snakes, yep ! watch for them when you stop.
    Where are you staying at. Made reservations yet.

Browser Update Required
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Great ride out here today. We're in Marathon for the night at this bizarre motel/RV park/campground with a courtyard with a fireplace. It's really cool. Looking forward to an awesome ride tomorrow.
  11. cowboy

Abby you just might watch out , you might like it so much here you'll become a Texan :cool: Enjoy the ride today & let us know
  12. chucktx

abby the texan...........................has a nice ring to it!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol
  13. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Uh, no. Colorado is too nice.

We went. Gas wasn't an issue. We had to plan for it, but it wasn't a big deal. The national park was nice, but I found the drive through the state park, on 170 between Lojitas and Presidio, to be much more scenic and really fun. It was like being on a roller coaster where you get to the top of a rise and can't see where the road drops before you. Lots of dips too, like in a roller coaster.
  14. chucktx

very happy you are having fun.....enjoy it!!!!!!!!! stay safe!!
  15. cardboard

I have reservations at Antelope Lodge. Heard there is a lot of riding in Alpine and the Davis mountains and they you do a 300 mile loop down and threw Big Bend. I'm still plannin everything I'm going to take now.
    Its hard to wait.
    Talked to the dude at the place I'm stayin, he said him and his wife went down to alpine to visit and wound up gitt'n jobs and stayin they liked it so much. Heard from another friend that has land down there that its like you leave texas and go somewhere else totally different.
  16. cowboy

LOL But we have a almost ride weather year round , I don't think I could move from Colo to here unless I had to & being from NM I had to leave all the mountian rideing behind , A few years back My son found out just what I been talking about all these years
  17. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The Northwest at least in the riding season has some of the best riding the country has to offer. Winter time sucks for sure but there is every type of riding you could want from the beautiful Oregon coast, to the cascade MT range and then Alps of the Northwest, just fantastic. Oh, ya there is even some high desert riding for those who like it.

I still want to ride the northern part of New Mexico some time.