1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

AMA and 15% Ethanol

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Feb 28, 2012.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

House Committee passed bill to require EPA to seek independent scientific analysis on the effects of 15 percent ethanol Take Action!

Urge your Representative to support today!

On February 7, 2012, the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology reported H.R. 3199 favorably, as amended, with a vote of 19 - 7. The bill, introduced by Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI), would require the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to seek independent scientific analysis on the effects of 15 percent ethanol blend (E15) gasoline.
    To watch an archive webcast of the markup, click here. To see how the Representatives voted, click here.

The bill now heads for consideration on the House floor. No date has been scheduled.

"The EPA's decision to allow E15 into the marketplace will impact every American who owns a car, lawnmower or boat," Sensenbrenner said. Automakers insist that using E15 will void warranties, lower fuel efficiency and cause premature engine failure. In off-road engines, the effects can even be dangerous for users.

"There are serious concerns that the EPA used only one Department of Energy test and rushed E15's introduction into the marketplace," Sensenbrenner said. "This test was limited in scope and ignored a plethora of evidence – albeit inconvenient evidence for the EPA – that shows E15 gasoline has a negative effect on engines."

The new E15 gasoline formulation may appear at a fueling station near you and you need to be careful where you use this new fuel blend. That is because the EPA, in October 2010, approved E15 for use in model year 2007 and newer light duty vehicles (cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles). In January 2011, it added model year 2001-2006 light duty vehicles to the approved list.

Riders should pay attention to this list because no motorcycles or ATVs are currently listed.

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) is concerned about E15 because it burns hotter than gasoline that contains a lesser amount of ethanol. In engines not designed to dissipate that extra heat, damage in the form of premature wear can result. Although this is a concern in all motorcycles, it's particularly problematic for air-cooled engines found in many bikes. Moreover, use of E15 may even void the manufacturer warranty.

Since the approved list includes many light-duty vehicles in use today, refineries, distributors, and fueling stations may choose to offer primarily E15 gasoline because of this action by the EPA. This should concern all motorcyclists and off-highway enthusiasts since this may affect the availability of gasoline with less or no ethanol (E10 or E0).

We need your help to pass H.R. 3199 when it reaches the House floor. You can find contact information for your Representative at AmericanMotorcyclist.com > Rights > Issues & Legislation, then enter your zip code in the "Find your Officials" box. A prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your federal elected official immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

In a previous AMA alert, Rep. Sensenbrenner also introduced H.R. 748. This bill would prohibit the Administrator of the EPA from authorizing the use of gasoline containing greater than 10 percent ethanol in certain vehicles. For more information on H.R. 748, click here.

Again, the AMA urges you to write your Representative today and ask them to support H.R. 748 and H.R. 3199.

For a detailed analysis of this issue, including access to related documents, please sign up to be an AMA Defender member at AmericanMotorcyclist.com/membership/join. If you are already an AMA member, please call us at (800) AMA - JOIN. Defender members who sign up to receive Action Alerts automatically receive the detailed analysis.

If you are an AMA member, thank you for your support. If you aren't a member, please consider joining. More members means more clout and your support helps the AMA fight for your rights – on the road, trail and in the halls of government. To join, go to AmericanMotorcyclist.com/membership/join.

AmericanMotorcyclist.com
    Alert Center
    Contribute to the Cause
    State Legislation
    Motorcycle State Laws
    Register to Vote
  2. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Thanks fer the heads up...
    We been concerned with this issue since I`ve first read about it...
    Contact your legislators now!!! Don`t Wait!!!
  3. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Last rumor I saw posted on another forum was that in the last HD Owners Fall News Letter that HD was not going to warranty their motorcycles if E15 was run through them. It was stated to drain the tanks, carbs and purge the system if you knew how and then run normal fuel or get the bike into a dealership.
  4. cardboard

E15 has been around for a few years. Its on a pump labled E15. Its for the flex fuel if you was stupid enough to pay 5000 for a flex fuel vehicle to run on it. And you buy gas a little cheaper that gets less fuel milage.
    You are not suppose to run it in anything other than that.
    I've done work for 4 Chemical engineers. All 4 of them has said we should of never put ethanol in Gas
    This is the Big Boys playing making money
  5. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

I agree with the big corporations playing their evil games. I have just been researching as of late about this E15 and the other Ethanol Blends in the Marine Industry and found nothing good. Even one of the local HD shops in my area does not like any Ethanol.

I do not want to run anything but the best fuel I can find in my Triumph 1965T120R Engine Unit.

One gent I was talking to on another Listserv was using 4gln of Av Gas from his local airport with 1 gln of 87 regular unleaded with great success in his vintage bike collection. His presentation was quite impressive.
  6. cardboard

The big person is Billionaires
    You do not have enough money to play in their ball park.
    They had congress to pass laws so nobody could bring ethanol from Brazil or anywhere into the U.S.

This is what one of the Chemical Engineers told me while we was workin on his boat.
    They also said the U.S. Goverment don't know the side effects of ethanol on the people.
    One of them got a bronical infection while workin in Brazil
    Said it took him a year to get over it when he come back to the U.S.

Archer Daniels Midland

ADM: Ethanol

Here is the infor for you do your homework
  7. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Thanks for the link. I have a bunch of links already bookmarked I will add this to. :D
  8. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

One thing I have been reading though is this E15 does not raise the BTU of the fuel itself. I have been seeing presentations both ways on this issue. Back to researching.
  9. cardboard

Ethanol is a poor choice for fuel. It eats up a lot of things. It was produced to burn up older mowers, weed eaters, older car engines and all. Seems like the EPA has gona crazy to get rid of things like this. And it cost you money and you loose things of yesterday.
    Ethanol fuel will not store.
    I had 89 octane fuel in a pressure washer with a Honda engine, that was 6 months old
    It would not crank. I drained the gas and put new gas in it and it cranked right up.

Got a buddy that worked for Marine Dealerships and been to the Marine mechanic schools.
    Mercury, Evinrude, Yamaha, Volvo Penta etc
    He went into business for himself years ago. I worked with him for 4 yrs.
    Seen in person what all Ethanol does to fuel and parts of boat motors etc.
    It will eat the plastic liner up in a fuel hose and the bulb.
    It draws moisture which causes problems.
    It will eat o rings, gaskets and builds up a green crud that stops up jets, Ortifice tubes sticks floats, eats up needle valves and all.
    ON fuel injected motors you have a manual fuel pump and a high pressure pump
    It eat up the diaphram on the manual fuel pump and that material lodged in the high pressure pump causing it to get no fuel which the high pressure fuel pump needs fuel to cool it off.
    When it don't get any fuel it burns up the high pressure fuel pump
    On 2 stoke and 4 stroke engines, its destroyed fuel injectors.
    The best thing I can tell you is to go to like Auto Zone and get some StarBrite Startron fuel additive. Keep it in your weed eaters, lawn mowers, boat engines, and in your motorcycle and automobile
    I know everybody knows something better. But They haven't worked as closely with differnt engines for 4 yrs as I have .
    Both me and another buddy of mine has tried several types of fuel additives in Harley motors. The Startron has worked out better than the rest of them.
    Ball is in your court. Play with is as you wish.
    I've done my homework. If you don't like what I've found, then do what you want.
    Won't do anygood to preach to anybody, cause everybody seems to know more about everything. And what they use is always better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo
  10. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Yes very nasty stuff. Here are some links I have found interesting:

http://www.generalaviationnews.com/2012/08/28/ethanol-under-fire-on-fire/

Ethanol Labeling Laws - State by State Guide.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
  11. cardboard

12. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Agree 100%
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Look up where there are Ethanol free stations and buy your gas there, cost more but the bikes sure run better.
  14. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Puregas.com
  15. cardboard

They are not non anywhere near me

everything is blended fuel. And blended fuel per EPA is ethanol.
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:confused: must be a Texas thing
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I prefer single blend...
  18. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Not just a Texas thing. All around the country where there are "Greenies" and/or big cities you can only get the 10% ethanol blend. In all of NY. In fact, all the pumps have that contraption that collecte the fumes as you pump also. CB: The FlexFuels vehicles can use E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline). Worse MPG for a few cents a gallon savings. No one I know uses the crap. There isn't any 15% ethanol in the state YET. I don't think it can be sold legally YET. One can go to the local airport and buy the aviation gasoline and avoid the ethanol and get buko octane but at a very high price. HRK, I prefer the Single Barrel or if I'm wanting to feel wealthy, Makers Mark.
  19. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Now that is a cool AVATAR!!!:cool:
  20. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

As I posted above you can mix 4 gln Av Gas with 1 gln Reg Unleaded 87 and it comes out to about 97 octane. The person who presented this said not all airports will allow you to buy Av Gas due to taxes but if you go up there in your truck with a couple 5 gln Jerry Cans you should be ok after talking to them.