1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

AMA helmet laws

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Nov 12, 2013.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Personal choice...I always wear one...
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Me to .........State law here
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

well that sucks ,I own one but only were it once in a while
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Thing is, it's not a personal choice for those who don't want to wear one in a state that says you must. I only wear one because I have to. Otherwise I wouldn't. This is just a bunch of non-riding liberals in cahoots with the insurance companies trying to force their version of "safety & health" B.S. down my throat. Next they'll try to make knee and elbow pads & full dress leathers with garish reflective striping & boots with traffic reflectors mandatory :mad:. Oh, and I forgot to mention airbags.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

1+ Josh bob you said it right there
  7. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I wear one. It is the law here. Small price to pay to enjoy the wind on my face. Plus, I don't want my vegetative state tying up a bed a cancer patient needs.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

It's the only way I can keep my ball cap ono_O:D...
    Cap blows away...I forgot the bucket :eek:...It's the law here too...I think all of Canada it's law... You hit something at highway speeds or someone hits you...you're getting hurt:hurting:...So the helmet saves your life:rolleyes:...Now you're a burden on the health care because you survived:stop:...Let those who ride ,Decide!!
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  9. joshbob

Hate to say it, but many cancer patients are in the hospital because they put themselves there with their own bad habits. Helmetless bikers aren't the only ones. And I'd bet for every biker in the hospital with head injuries, you'll find thousands upon thousands of people in the hospital for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, you name it, and nearly all preventable.

Thing is, those who ride don't really get to decide - they must comply to the non-riding panty-waist politicians who always know what is best for us, right? And I hate complying to what I consider to be a really bad law. And this is only one wrinkle on the elephant's hide. There's a lot of bad laws, ordinances, rules & regulations out there. I believe loud pipes are more effective in saving lives. They may irritate some people. Good! They need to be irritated! But loud pipes get their attention in a way a helmet never will. And our benevolent lawmakers are outlawing those as well . . . they envision a noiseless, stinkless, riskless utopia for us all. It's not a Brave New World we're heading for, boys, it's a Sad Old World where they want everyone to cower in fear because something might happen to them. Screw that!
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  10. Roadster guy

I love a good discussion (argument?, debate?). I agree with your points, there are more cancer,blood pressure, etc patients in the hospital mostly because for every 20 people, maybe 1 rides a motorcycle. I happen to think helmet law is a good idea. period. I definitely agree with your points about freedom of individual choice, and if there were no lawsuits, crappy car drivers, and poorly maintained roads in the world I might even be on you side of this, but I'm not. I do agree 100% with the idea loud pipes should be legal, and some bikes are so quiet they should almost be considered unsafe. (Goldwing owners, get some pipes!) People hear loud pipes, and that makes them put down their cellphones and pay attention to their driving. That is a good thing.
    And yes, I have been in a motorcycle dinger in my life, and my helmet broke in two. If I didn't have it on, I would not be typing right now. P.S.,Joshbob, get some more pics of that bike in the showcase, it looks good
  11. joshbob

Thanks, RG. It took 9 days for that photo to finally show up. I posted it on the 6th and it appeared on the 14th. I Don't get it :confused:. I'll try to post a pic of the other side of the bike LOL.

About the other stuff; I was mostly commenting about my attitude about how our politicians pass laws for our own good. I'm so tired of that.

If you think helmet laws are good, then to me, that means you do not believe in freedom of choice. Can't have it both ways ;). Also, I'm glad you're still with us. I don't think I've ever heard of a helmet breaking in two, before. You must have went down pretty hard . . .
  12. Roadster guy

Helmet was a motocross, broke the face guard pretty much off, but I'm still pretty to look at, so no biggie.
    Do not believe in freedom of choice? Ouch! That's what I get for sticking my head in this hornets nest. However, roads have speed limits, it is a law, not freedom of choice. Your state has a Motor Vehicle Act, I assume, and some things are allowable, some are not. Did you know right south of you S.C. has no helmet requirement after 21? Over 21? ;) If you need a choice, ride south.
  13. marc 55

On the issue of loud pipes...That is BS and has been discussed many times...Several articles (American Iron) have been written about that fallacy...Think about it...Sound travels behind you...If you want people to hear you then put a 180 degree bend in your pipes so they face the front and that will probably not do that much in the sound department...The next time your on a highway and you see a motorcycle coming up behind you pull over one lane and you will notice that you literally can't hear them untill they just along side you or are passing you...
  14. Roadster guy

Yeah, when that reflective striping crap becomes mandatory stuck on my leathers I think it is time for revolt. Helmet, I'll wear, reflector crap, I draw the line. I'm not a friggin crossing guard, I'm a biker!:punch:
  15. Roadster guy

Odd, I live a mile or so from a bar and can hear the local "riding club" leave well before they pass my house at night.
  16. marc 55

I can hear them in the distance too If I am out in the open...That does absolutely nothing to help them from a safety perspective...The focus of the articles written was the safety perspective in mind that loud pipes will not save you...Most people are concerned only with their immediate surroundings as that is where the threat is most of the time...Anything outside that is not that relevant...The best thing you can do is pay attention, trust no one and be alert...
  17. Roadster guy

Very true. That's why I have a strict "no barley pops before a ride policy".
  18. joshbob

That's a good and sane policy. I may drink one and ride, but no more. Sometimes it's "unavoidable" LOL. As for loud pipes saving lives, well, I say that mostly because I have them. But others claim it does help. I love the sound - can't beat it. And they look cool, too. As for safety, all I can say is that I hope people hear me coming or going. Most accidents happen at intersections. I suppose when folks have their radios on or are gabbing on their cell phones, they are mostly oblivious to everything around them. Pipes or stripes won't help much then . . . riding defensively is the best we can do.
  19. marc 55

Unfortunately alcohol has been a problem up here with many bike accidents which does not help us...I think a lot of people just don't know their body...How many bikers have you seen come into a bar on a 85 degree day and suck down that first beer in 30 seconds flat? Not good...Right to the head...The one beer buzz...
  20. Roadster guy

Had one, just one, before a ride as a kid and could not believe the difference it made to the balance on the bike. Way, way different feeling than in a car. And no I don't drink behind the wheel, just saying. Swore off any beer before any ride a long time ago. Can't comprehend how some guys can drink all day and ride and party all night. With all this helmet wearing and no beer stuff I never realized I'm turning into a pussy!