1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Amish Country 2012

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 9, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

On July 7th Hot Rider and I went on our first Harley's Owners Group Chapter ride and we just had an amazing time. We met at the dealer at about 8 am and departed at 8:30 am. We had about 21 bikes that joined in on the fun with about a total of 30 people.

We started out from the the dealer which is in Eden Prairie Minnesota and our first stop was in Prescott Wisconsin.(I started riding near the rear of the pack and stayed that way for some time). After Prescott is where the real riding began. We stopped about every hour or so to stretch and freshen up if needed and for some visiting. Many miles of twisties, long sweepers, steep elevation climbs and rapid descents. Not too long after Prescott, maybe 60 miles or so, we had a fellow rider go down. He was OK but did not come out of it unscathed. He ended up chipping his shoulder and some abrasions on his leg. Thank Goodness for the knowledge and expertise of our Road Captains who responded instantly and decisively. As the the RC's were attending to Jason, the rest of the pack pulled over, shut the bikes down, and talked. The temp, up until that point was cool and looked like that it could rain took a turn for the worse. It got warm.:rant: Not paying attention to the rising heat, Hot Rider and I started speaking with other members. We found out in a hurry that these people are really cool.

After the RC's had taken care of Jason, they rejoined the group. Again, the roads were very intense with many tight twisties. Some turns were marked at 15 mph. BlackDangerous negotiated them perfectly. :D:cool: On some of the turns there would be loose gravel in the middle of your path which was enough for even the most experienced riders to be concerned, I was, but all went well.

One of the most interesting places that we rode through was part of Wisconsin's Amish country. I did not take any pictures of this area as I wanted to be respectful for their way of life. As we were riding it was very evident that we were in horse and buggy territory as there was a lot of shiit on the road. We were allowed to stop at an Amish Bakery and we bought some there baked goods to eat. Very good. personally, I like my wifes baking better, but still cured the sweet tooth.

From that point on the ride was fairly uneventful other than more of the same kind of riding. Intense cornering and steep hill climbing and rapid descents. The highest gear that I was able to get in was 4th but that would be for brief moments and down the gears I went. There were a couple of spots that I had to be in first.

We got to our Hotel at about 6 pm which was in a town called Viroqua Wisconsin which is 33 mile south of LaCrosse. Our ride was an experience like none other than I have ever had and will do it again in heartbeat. Especially with that bunch of people. :cool:
  2. JohnnyBiker

Here is just a sample of the views that we saw. More to come. Enjoy!!!
    Just Before Departure
    [​IMG]

Just coming into Prescott
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of my favorite pictures.
    [​IMG]
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your experience and it sounded mucho fun. Well written too. Glad you had a good time with the local HOG group. Any 2 wheeled adventure is bound to be an awsome adventure. Good on you.

Just curious about something...when you said you were "allowed" to go to a bakery what was that "allowed" thing about and from who?

I was given a free nat'l HOG membership when I bought my bike in June. I'm gonna attend the VT/NH state HOG rally in Lincoln, NH in August. What the heck. Not affiliating with any specific HOG charter and not planning too. I live close enough, a couple hours away, that I'll just poke around and see how it feels.

4. JohnnyBiker

The Amish live a very simple life. They do not believe in modern luxuries like cars, electricity and other things like that. The Amish are a very tight knit community that do not like outsiders, especially those from the secular world. Although there are some, but very few in the Amish community that aren't as strict in the "Amish Way." The particular place, "bakery" happened to be one of them.
  5. JohnnyBiker

As we speak I am downloading a video that Hot Rider took with our camera and am going to post it. I most definitely am going to get one of those GoPro's now...:D:cool:
  6. JohnnyBiker

7. JohnnyBiker

8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey were'd da hot tub drinking and dancin pictures...
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

10. JohnnyBiker

11. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed your trip

Got a Buddy that is Amish. He dad is real big in it.

He left the community. Real mellow dude.

Was in a Bass fishing club with him. Fished many years with him
    He's a very good friend and I see nothing that he does wrong.
    He would take his shirt off to help me and has done so when I broke my wrist.
    He drove 100 miles up here to help me with my stairs on my house.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Thanks Cardboard. :cool:
  13. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Cool good pics and videos JB, looks like ya'll passed a good time.:cool:
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the pics/video looks like nice country side
  15. badinfluence63

Very cool. Thanks for sharing! Looks like a nice group of riders. How many days were you all on the road? Is that you with the apes on the RG?
  16. JohnnyBiker

Thanks. We were gone for two days and one night. Yes. That is JohnnyBiker with his beloved FLTR.:cool::D

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
  17. badinfluence63

Waiting till I get my 1000 mile break in service (Thursday) then I'm gone......... I still have to cut up all this mess in the mean time:

Attached Files:

18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics & videos. Looks like a great bunch of folks had a fun time!