1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Amsoil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Sep 18, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Don't want a War here. And its just my statement.
    But I thought I'd share this. I don't care what kind of oil you use in yer bike.
    I'm sure everybody is a Oil Engineer and knows more than me about Oil and which is the Absolute Best to use in their bike.

Just like when I had been doing Locksmith work for 40 yrs and the general public thought the Police officers knew more about locks than me.

I am a Amsoil dealer, got a 11 yr license.

Got a dude that went to MMI years ago and is a Master HD tech.

Had the tranny bearings to go out in my 08 bike. I'm Lucky I still had a warranty. All the bearings were hard to git too.
    Even HD didn't have all of them in stock .

Had a Master HD tech to tell me, he would not use Amsoil in my HD.

I had been using 75-90 and 750-140 Amsoil SVO oil.
    He said that HD didn't design it for that oil. They designed it for 20-50 Oil.
    That's what I would use in it.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

So does that mean your going to use 20/50 oil in the trans.?
  3. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Ok Cardboard, What works for you,keep doing. I was using Mobil 1 V-Twinn 20-50 in ENG.,Trans.,And Prim. And the beering(big one) on the left side of the tranny came apart. 'Cage metal throughout tranny) 'caused minor damage to all the other beerings,So of course all must be changed. I'm gonna switch to my Indy's recomend, Red Line syn multi-grade gear oil.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  4. cardboard

I had also been running synthetic Mobile one in my tranny too on the other bike.

Think you might of had clearance issues in the tranny from what it sounds like.
    Think some of the quality control , with the Union sux's

And there's a guarantee that it won't happen again with Redline.?

I had mobile 1 synthetic grease in my grease gun, It solitified on me.
    When I tried to grease the neck it ran out like motor Oil.

Who'd of thought that.
  5. FLHTbiker

Only thing I can say is engine oil is for the engine. I have been using Redline Shook Proof gear oil in the trans for many years and miles, never an issue. I have heard that even HD is backing off saying that you can use their 20-50 sync motor oil in the trans.
  6. charlie46

Yeah, I'm sure it was put together on the loose side. These things shoul never happen. allways had a Quallity lube in it, should never have failed.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  7. cardboard

I will say, I got a couple buddies that builds high performance motors for cars.
    They build cars for pro football, baseball, and basket ball players and pro wrestllers.
    They do Turbo chargers, super chargers and nitrous.

They like the heck out of Redline. They say Redline is the best oil you can git as far as they are concerned. Their 2nd choice would probaly be Castrol synthetic and then mobile one.

But they also say, things are being build to tighter tolences nowdays.
    Do stay with the weight yer mfg specified for the application.
    If yer motor says 5-20 you can go to 10-30 in the south. But don't go any heavier. The oil can't git in the places to lub where its suppose to.
    And one of them was trained as a nasa engineer or something like that.
  8. cardboard

I only put the best oil in my last bike I could find. Redline is hard to git way up here in the country.
    I'd have to order it and pay shippin
    I changed the oil at 2500 miles even with synthetic. Did the primary about every oil change. Its only a quart and a half. and did the tranny about every 2-3 oil changes. It would come out as clean from the tranny as it went in.
    But I started hearing the tranny hummin and making a noise like the bearings were not rolling right.
    Took it to a Harley dealer in a college town. They got some pretty good mechanics there. They rode the bike and heard what I was talkin about.
    They pulled the tranny and said yer right.

You wouldn't expect this to happen to a brand new bike either. But I went threw a hard time trying to git HD to fix it.
    I was totally stressed out and was screaming at everybody.:wtf:

They wanted to use touch up paint in a bottle like fingernail polish to fix it. I went to 5 dealerships till the dealership in the college town worked with their HD factory rep to git it taken care of, they did the tranny also.

[​IMG]
  9. FLHTbiker

The big problem with Amsoil is when your on the road and you need to change oil, where can you find it?
  10. charlie46

Cardboard, Was your bike out of warrenty when they finnally fixed the tranny? Mine is and local H-D(SpaceCoast Har--y) wouldn't do squat.
  11. cardboard

Man I was super, super lucky. I Had like 3 months left.

And like I said. I went to about 6 dealerships before I got the one in a college town that I've let work on my bike to help me.
    The service mgr likes me a lot. Go in the store all the time. He's 100 miles west of me.
    Took him months to git his rep to approve it.
    But I got the bike in before the warranty ran out.

Know folks ask would you buy a extended HD warranty.

With the things I've seen over the years. Absolutely I would , wheather I used it or not. IN case I needed it, it will well pay for itself. If I didn't use it oh well my ass was covered.

If you didn't git it, they will absolutely not help you.
    When they sold you the bike, one of the 1st things they asked. Would you like to buy a extended warranty. And you usually say No.
    For what it cost if you have to use it , it wil more than pay for itself.
    I've used it more than once.
    My wifes sporster I got a 6 yr warranty.
    On my Ultra limited I got used with 1036 miles on it. I bought a 5 yrs warranty.
    And I think this 11 Ultra limited is one of the best bikes I've ever bought.
  12. charlie46

Thanks C.B. 'Gonna die waxing this one. Unless a lottery comes to me. About $600 for the fix from my Indy,so not so bad comparred to the &2600 for that warrenty if I remember right.
  13. cardboard

With the aftermarket warranty the salesman sold me on my Limited.
    Say my 1000 HK radio goes out. They will not take it out and send it in to be fixed and my bike down. They will pull the radio out and put me a brand new radio in the bike.
    I had a piece of chrome on the pipes to break. They got a brand new piece and put it on.

The moneyI spent on the warranty is a piece of mind to me.
    I like to go out of town and like i rode over to Lousiana yesterday and ran around and ate and all.
    I think of it like this. HD has the biggest network of dealers in the U.S.
    I want to be able to go anywhere and know my ass is covered with it being fixed.
    I'm plannin nest July on goin to a buddys house in Colorado and riding across the black forest and goin up to Wyoming and riding wyoming to So Dakota a week before sturgis and then riding to Glacier national park in Montana and back home.
    Want to know I got a good warranty.
    You keep the money in yer pocket so you can smile till you have a problem, then sit and wait for it to be fixed and wax on it.
    I don't need the stress worrying about it..
    I normally always got my wife on the bike with me too.
  14. charlie46

One small point C.B. 46,000 mi/2yrsand 4 mos. does not equall sitting at home waxing on it. I do appreceate your advice though.
  15. cardboard

when yer retired and money permits
    its hard to sit at home and not ride
    my 07 and 08 bike had like 90,000 on them together
  16. gator3727

gator3727 New Member

CB, will you be using amsoil 20/50 in the trans or HD 20/50? My dealer is pushing belray gear saver at the dealership. Used it last change but I think i will go back to 20/50 synthetic.
  17. cardboard

I am using against all the Oil Engineers advise on here.

Screaming Eagle 20-50 oil in all 3 holes.
    Its easy to git at the dealer, and I git 15% off on it at the dealer, I'm a MVP member are you one...;)
    And neutral is easy to find.........:rant:

I like the way it feel when it goes in and when it goes out.
    And Hugo Chavez ain't done nothin to me.
    We need oil from everywhere we can git it too. Remember that.
    Were Oil Hogs.......

And for folks that can't find neutral. WTF is wrong.
    You don't want it to just slide in Neutral.
    If you speed shift and are not careful you might hit neutral and rev the bike up.

When yer lookin for neutral, feather the clutch and it will make it easier to find.

Oh I know the problem, you got a dang heel shifter on yer bike.
    Take a sawsall or hammer and knock the heel shifter off the bike.:roflmao:

Comon Man..............

Football is on, the Texans plays in 10 minutes.:cool:

[​IMG]
  18. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Gator, stay with the gear oil in the gear box and motor oil in the motor! Belray is what I use, it's been around a long long time and used by many hp bikes. My and many other opinions.
  19. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Hey "mr. Board" :roflmao: Sorry, I read that and had to type it. Is this one of yer new bikes, the orange one? It will make old geezers like us look younger (I think).
  20. cardboard

Old Redneck Chucktx and me went to a MudBug boil and while eatin some bugs a dude rode up on it.

Chucktx was ready to take it home with him. But his wife over ruled him.
    Chucktx likes riding tractors and it has a tractor seat on it for him too...:D
    I personally like riding my Lincoln continental with a tourpac.
    Tried to leave it and git a young mans bike and it nearly beat me and the OL up.
    I'm for Hot Rod Lincoln's dude................

Ya can load em down and ride it in style.

[​IMG]