1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

annoyance working on bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 9, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well everyone, today was a rather annoying day. I wanted to get more done on my bike, but I needed an extra set of hands. I trust my wife for this, so I had to wait until she was done with her business for the day as I had off. But of course I was rudely interrupted with people that do not know how to be on time. This meant that my family got pushed of schedule 2 hours. Finally my wife and I were able to get started on what it is that I needed to do which was install the rear fender. I started off bu going to mount the tail light, the first issue was that the tail light wires would not fit through the whole that was drilled so I had to cut of the wire splices and feed the wire without them. The next issue was that after we overcame that first little hurdle, I went to mount the tail light only to discover that the bolts for the taillight are too short because of the undercoating and layers of paint. This is what really made me mad because since I live in a smaller town, things close a little earlier. Now I have to go to the hardware store and purchase 2 different lengths so I have what I need for the install.

Does anyone else have any stories that they wish to share that invove an extreme annoyance?
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Yep, I've had many, many jobs that are just like that. That's the joy of being a do-it-yourself-er. ;) I hate getting into the middle of a job and having to stop to go get a part or tool. I now often buy more than I need because the part costs less than a return trip to the hardware store. I have a lot of excess hardware in my shop and that has saved me many return trip.....if I can find it.:rolleyes: Good luck with your project. You'll get er done.:D
  3. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

JB - All part of building the dream bike - and when it's done you'll forget all about those little details; except having to run down to the store again to buy a spool of thread to sew yer buttons back on.:roflmao:;)
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hehehehehe,,,,,,,,so true sarge, very true!!!
  5. JohnnyBiker

I know what you mean by having a hardware store at your house. After my first little issue with the short bolts, I went to Menards (they have an awesome selection of bolts, chrome too), I bought stuff that I knew that I was going to need, as someone said, I bought more than what I need.

So later that night, I am all excited to get home from work so I can continue. I had purchased 2 different bolt lengths, (just in case). Started to mount the light but for some reason the top bolt would not fit right. I ended up having to drill the hole a little larger and at a different angle because I discovered that when I drilled the holes, I did not drill at the right angle. I was not happy about this at all, but I was able to do it so I did not scratch any of the paint. I finally got everything to line up, but by this time I was so tired from working 12 hours I called it a night. My wife was there with me again and I asked if she could make another run to the hardware store for a washer big enough. She did and she installed the light for me while I was at work. I knew there was something that I liked about her.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Sarge, that is so true. I think that it is fun and annoying all at the same time.
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

:worthless: we like pic's here as we like to see other people work :D
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

What Cowboy said...
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What everyone said. :D
  10. JohnnyBiker

Would you all like to see some before and almost done pictures or just almost done pictures?
  11. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

lets see them all. the finish line is for glory. the journey is the satisfaction and the real story
  12. JohnnyBiker

Ok watch for them tonight.
  13. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

All of the above - and be glad ya get a wife that can turn a wrench - I know some guys that spend more time wrenching on the OL bike than ridin.
    Raised my girls that way too. If they can't change a tire, check the fliud levels - then they ain't got no business on the bike or behind the wheel of a car. IMO
    Course if everybody was that way the mechs would be out of work. And besides work is fun - as long as I'm watching someone else do it.
  14. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

How high is yer Blood Pressure.

How much riding time did you misss..............................:rant:
  15. steveb

steveb Active Member

You could be in the shape I am still in with one hand still in a cast.Can't do anything on the bike including riding . I have to learn patience and I am a slow learner.
  16. JohnnyBiker

:rant::rant::rant: