1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Another epic trip

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Hot01, May 28, 2010.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I've been trying to figure out how to do my trip back east to see my granddaughter (due a few days ago, but still not here). At the last minute, I decided to ride my bike back, partially because I have two brand new tires on it. That tread is burning a hole in my pocket :roflmao:

Got my new ape hangers (love them!!!) and pushing 94K miles on the bike. I'm going old school - no windshield, no luggage strapped to my rear fender. I don't know how long I'll be gone. Maybe a month. I do know I'm going to New Hampshire, a stop in Ossining, New York and down the Blue Ridge Parkway to visit old friends in Georgia. After that... maybe Texas.

I am making room for the computer. I plan on finishing the book on this trip. If I find a place that's good for writing, I'll stay for a few days. If you think I may be passing by close and want to grab a cup of coffee or something, let me know.

:D
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Sounds great Abby, Once you get past the flat lands of Kansas you'll start having fun:D.

Unfortunately Im on the left coast so you won't be coming around here.

We'll be looking forward to the updates and PICTURES!

Good luck and stay safe.
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

be safe and have a good time, let us all know where you are at along the way.:cool:
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Stay in touch at least that way
    if you need help, we'll be around if we can.

Little outta your way

ride safe!
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Good luck, lady, and stay alert. Toughing it out also wears you out, and then we all tend to do stuff that we wish we weren't that stupid to do at the time. Trust your judgement and your gut. And save some strength to finish that book we're all waiting on!

And check in here so those that care about you can not worry for a day or so...........

:cheers:
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

call me when ya get close!!!!!!!!! i need a hug from ya and the ol'lady would love to meet you!!!!!!!!
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep I think all above said it all so ride safe have fun & check in :cool:
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Abby - If your going thru Northern Indiana -give me a heads and I'll ride out and buy the coffee.
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That might be tomorrow. I'll check my new atlas tonight. How far north?

Long day. Good. Exciting at times. Going to bed...

Wildlife excitement

And Chuck... of course!!!!
  10. chucktx

cant wait!!!! lol stay safe........
  11. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I tried to meet sarge7 today, but I wasn't going close enough. He warned me about the thunderstorms, and I was like, I don't care about no stinking thunderstorms. Shoot, I thought I'd ease through it all dodging a few raindrops. Uh, no. I've never ridden through anything like that before. I went from reasonably dry to soaked through in about 3 seconds, and I'm not exaggerating. I had to fold early. :banghead:
  12. chucktx

i hate those types of storms!!!!!!!!!! get a good rest and dont get sick!!!!!!
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Stay safe and get dry and warm there Abby and do what Chuck said. But also have a great time. :)
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep as the above two said :D I see those pic's on FB can see Hot01 setting all by herself at the gas pump & soaked
  15. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I was hoping the rain missed ya ABBY - I got home about 5 minutes before it opened up we had a lot of local flooding in the area - weatherman says ya got a dry day for tomorrow but thats it for the the rest of the week - were gonna get it again all week long.
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sarge, I thought we were the only ones getting so much heavy rain right now. Been raining for weeks now and supposed to rain all though the week with 2-3 inches every day. Hope Abby can avoid those storms or hold up in a dry place.
  17. hotroadking

ANother poster on HTT put up a link to your Accident article from the SFran Chron.

I put up a link to your Wildlife Adventure, shouldn't you be writing about Joe 23 if you are addressing Wildlife Adventures by now LOL

Link to HTT Thread about Abby
  18. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Hotroadking - where did it come from? I just posted that last night when I couldn't sleep. I hope they gave me credit for it.

By the way, beautiful day today. Once I got past the cold wet boots, it was an awesome ride. I even hit a few curves!
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  19. hotroadking

I dunno Abby some guy out west saw it on San Fran's Chronicle page and posted
    it. Hey yer getting paid to ride right? LOL

BTW, if you don't have them, get some earplugs for long trips especially good for when you have to put on the half lid, it kills the high end wind noises, you can still hear cars and trucks heck I can hear my radio better. I got these custom ones at Daytona, worth every penny on long rides.

Big Ear Inc., Home

But stop by a y'all mart and in the sporting goods section get a pack of the foam ones for shooting. Works great and you won't be tired and beat up as much after a long day in the saddle.. Get a custom set when you get back. or.

No windshield and you might not like them but a good full face helmet will take the sting out of a rainy ride and it will reduce noise fighting fatigue lots of good ones out there, best prices I've found are here locally (better than on the net) at the helmet shop in Daytona.

couple have the flip down inside tinted second shield, which is great
    no sunglasses to wear,
    But a good full face and/or ear plugs will make the total trip better, and not it's not a cop out either way LOL

If you're a real biker ya don't give a rats patootie what anyone thinks... LOL
  20. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Good write up Abby! - In case yer interested Best Buy has a strap on camera mount that sells for about 15$ - It has velco straps that can be mounted almost anywear on yer bike - I used one last year to film the ride thru the the Smokies with my video cam and got some great shots all hands off. The Cam was mounted on my left engine guard and was started right after the ride began - was about 48 minutes of video before the card ran out of room.
    Hope ya outran the rain and storms we got more coming in for the rest of the week and all of then are headed your way. Visit the Grandbaby until they blow thru and you should have a week of nice weather to run south with.
    If ya get close to NE Alabama just SW of Chattenoga TN ya might want to stop by and meet First Lady - she lives in crossville about 9 miles off I59 and I'm sure you will have a great time she has a beautiful house and would love to hear from you.

Ride safe and watch out for the wildlife.:)