1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Another spike air cleaner/jetting issue

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Meddyman, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Meddyman

Meddyman New Member

Hi, new here, thanks for the in. Looked for my topic but didn't find an answer, perhaps new eyes will see this and have it..... So I inherited my bro's 06 Sportster XL883L with 16,000 miles on it. It's an American market bike that ended up in Alberta. When he got it, the bike had Vance & Hines staggered short shorts on it with their factory baffles, (basically a pipe with some little louvers) a stock air cleaner, and a untouched factory carb. He bought one of those cone/spike air cleaners and put it on. Then the issues began... when getting from mid to towards the top of any gear... pop...pop,pop,pop. He suffered with it in town at low rpm where it was not so noticeable. Move ahead to now and I have the issue. I have miles of flat open highway to run and want it right. I put the stock air cleaner back on...no more acceleration popping. but I want the spike to work. So off to the dealer for some tips and advice. #1 Fix the exhaust, back pressure is your friend... get some! So I installed some V&H baffles, lost a little volume of sound but picked up a throaty rumble. Seems to be a smoother running ride now and no more deceleration popping. We like that. #2 Jets.....slow jet, move up to a 45 and the main to a 180. (Did that... more later) #3 Raise the needle (in the diaphragm assy) so it is open a bit more. (I set a small washer under it that they spotted me) #4 Take out the aluminum plug and tinker with the jet setting, they said about 2 to 2.5 turns out from seated, then tune to ear when it's warm. So I did all that, put the spike on and still have the popping issue. Perhaps at a little higher rpm but it's still there. So moved the main jet to a 185, still popping at high rpm and when I crack it for hard acceleration, like up a steep hill, also with the 185 when I hit the throttle I can hear the carb sucking. (like when yer in the dentist chair and they vacuum yer mouth out). Am I missing something? I asked about elevation, we are 2260 feet above sea level, dealer said no worries. I would really like this combo to work, do I need to keep increasing the main till no more issue? or is this the impossible combination? somebody must have seen the same or very similar issue and found the fix, would really appreciate hearing from you. Thx.
  2. Red Rider2

Red Rider2 New Member

Sorry I missed this earlier, are you still working it?
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I would bring the pilot up to a 46. You aren't on the min jet at that rpm and for an 883, there really is no need for that big of main jet.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The sucking you hear is the open spike filter letting in more air over the stock filter.

At cruise, idle, part throttle you are not having the issue? correct?
  5. Meddyman

Meddyman New Member

hotroadking: Yup, still an issue. Stock air cleaner kinda put it on the back burner. Idle, part throttle, in town cruise it's ok. It's the higher rpm cruising and aggressive acceleration that starts the popcorn maker. JohnnyBiker: I always stayed away from carbs (till now) the terms and functional operation needs to be learned. I'm gonna do some reading to get better educated.