1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Anybody use a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 20, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I had a buddy to have me to download the POI loader

Garmin: POI Loader

Then got on the Garmin site and downloaded the HD dealership list.

Zumo 550 - Harley Dealership POIs | POI Factory

Now like the HD Road Tech you buy from HD it will show me HD dealerships when I pass them.

I can also go to Extra's and it will show all of them in the area I'm in to me and their information.

I thought this was pretty handy if you ever need it, or out riding on a trip.
  2. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

My wife got me a Road Tech 550 for Christmas. Just learning about it and so far I've managed to get from the living room to the kitchen without getting lost. No detours or POI's on this trip though.:roflmao:
  3. cardboard

Ya Know they are realhard to operate.

And for some reason they don't send you a detailed manual on how to operate it.:(
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

just what i am looking for, a director with no directions..................im in!!!!!!!!:witsend::banghead:
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I'am like that anyway so I'll keep my money :D:roflmao:
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I got one through Costco for the truck because it had bluetooth in it for the new Oregon hands free law. Stupid thing the few times I have tried to use it for directions it always tries to take me in a totally wrong direction. If I didn't need the bluetooth part of it I would pitch it out the window. :rolleyes:

Hope those who use it on there bike don't get in a wreck fiddling with it while riding. :(
  7. cardboard

Did you git a good Garmin.

Look at the setup.
    Do you have it on the shortest route or the other settin.
    The shortest routes will take you the shortest but not necessaryily the best way.
    YOu know its like a Old Lady, you got to sit down and git to know her.:rant:

Play with her a little every now and then.
  8. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

It looks like you got to know what part of the menu to look in then you have to know where in that part to look:cool:. My brother has to do the same with his GPS. Don't remember which one he has but it's not a Garmin. I wanted to put a couple of routes in the memory to where two of my sisters live and I finally found where to store them - the routes that is, not my sisters. This evenings project - one of them - will be to do that. A GPS is like some of those other things that when you buy it, you never get done paying for it. You gotta buy a mount, then at some point map upgrades, then whatever other vehicle you use it on - another mount unless you use the sand bag pads and take that from vehicle to vehicle.... I guess it's another of life's little adventures:banghead:.
  9. cardboard

Got a buddy that got a Tom Tom

it just ain't the same
  10. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I have the 550 on my bike and a GPS in all my vehicles. I have driven all over the country with them and while they will make mistakes, they have saved me many more times than they have led me wrong. Like Cardboard says, you have to learn how to use them. I've had one for six years and still learning new things. I've had several different types but I always buy the Garmin. Thanks for the info on the downloads, CB.
  11. cardboard

Was talkin to the HD dealer about the Bluetooth setup they have for 200.00
    The dude there was tell'n me they sell a lot more Scala Rider G4 units.
    They have much better clarity to them and work better, and nobody has brought any back or complained about them.

Cardo Scala Rider G4 :: Communication Systems :: Accessories :: The Helmet Center

If you look on the left hand side of yer Zumo 550 or Road Tech there is a rubber Plug. you can buy a cord that goes from there to the MP3 plug on yer radio.
    Now when the lady in the Zumo talks it will come out yer radio speakers.

I perfet the Scala Rider G4.
    And if I had to I could use the phone if I really needed to contact somebody.

The Scala Rider G4 will also let you pair it up with yer passenger.
    Or if you have a buddy riding with you, he can have one and the 2 of you can talk to each other.

Just a lot of options available if you want any of them.
  12. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

The GPS to radio speakers cord came with my Road Tech. What I need to do is decide which type of mount I want. I have in mind one that I would like to make - if I can find the materials. Lookin forward to hearing tha lady speak. Hope she has a nice voice.
  13. cardboard

Put mine on the Left hand side Handlebar. Run the cord down the handle bars and in the hole in the fairing where the other wires runs.
    Tapped the wires on the cigarette lighter, Worked out great.
  14. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I have the Zumo 660 mounted on faring left side it looks like its supposed to be there. You order the whole kit and it comes with fairing mount and Wind sheild mount/suction cup for car. carring case to transport it in from bike to car. The fairing mount locks the unit on the mount so it will not fall off and has a cap to put in mount when not in use that looks nice. It will not let a biker fiddle with it while your riding.... if you try it the unit promps to you to pull over and will not work.....whe you change it to from Bike mode to car mode setting it will allow you to fiddle with it while driving.....it comes with a mp3 cord to plug in to the Faring for your bike so you can hear navagation in your stereo system and play mp3s from the unit in your system with out using cds I have loaded 14 hours of Music in the unit which was 1.1 gigs still plenty of room left for emptying pictures from your cam onto the GPS if your cam becomes full while on a trip....it has a mode for fast trip or shortest trips, weather update and Satelite radio if you want to subscribe to it.....bicycle mode.......waking mode...really a nice unit so far.

I have a tom tom also and used it every day for about 3 years its nice...but nothing like the 660 Zumo!!!It comes loaded with all Harley dealers in it.
  15. cardboard

My buddy across the road from me has the 660 too.

We put the 660 on the left hand side of the handle bar on the mount.
    Took the fairing off and took the rubber gromet out of the inner fairing where the wires go threw.
    Put all the wires threw the hole and run the wires for the Mp3 and everything across to the radio area to the right hand side of the handle bars and brought it out the handle bar area and tie strapped it there where it can be used.

Then lubed the rubber gromet with tri flow spray and put it back in.

We also tapped the cigarette lighter for power.
    It turned out better than he thought.

The 660 has some more functions than the 550 but just won't store as many way points in the unit itself.
  16. FLHTbiker

Garmen Nivi 265T, Affordable Navigation
    with hands-free calling and lifetime traffic
    comes with a manual.
    has a avoid traffic function
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i keep my map in the tourpac...............never fails!
  18. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Cigarette lighter tap sounds like the way to go and I think I like the handle bar mount rather than the fairing. I not in any big hurry to start drilling holes.
  19. cardboard

Go to Auto Zone.

They have a connector that looks like one you would splice in two wires with a metal clip that has a cover on it.
    The clip sticks out when you cover it and you can plug a male wire on it.
    Now you can squeeze a wire in the male plug.
    I will try to go to Auto Zone and buy a pack and git a part number.
  20. FLHTbiker

I'll leave mine at home in the Dodge. :)