1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

anyone "spoked" lately?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Jan 11, 2006.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Thought about re-spoking my 21 laced...the rim I like but found some spokes I'd like to use..the spokes are priced good as compared to the rims!!!! I would have done it myself mentality thing...So I thought Hmmmm take one spoke out at a time and replace it...right? done it before on bikes and stuff but LONG time ago...just like the idea of the spokes I 've seen on the rim I have.... any pointers or hidden secrets hidden beneath a rim of doom? :D
  2. scooter

scooter New Member

Good luck to you!!!! :D

Let me know how things turn out, I also have a 21 inch spoker, and the twisted ones have caught my eye. Nice touch, so if it works for you without too much pain, please advise.... :)

scoot
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good luck on the project.....the only advise i can give is to take your time and have plenty of time to do the job, so you dont have to leave in the middle of it. i laced a wheel a while back......30 yrs or so.........dont remember much about it, except that i didnt want to do it again!!!!! have fun and let us know your progress
    chuck
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There is an article in one of the bike rags this month on lacing 40 spoke wheels, 16 or 21 it doesn't matter

can't remember the mag gheez couldn't find it but it's there vee twin or AIM or one of those.

Basically you put the 10 outside spokes through the hub and lace them to the right bend the first spoke and you'l see where it goes, then I think it's every 4'th space you'll do the next one, same match.

Flip and do the other side same way

Then pull the wheel to the edge of the bench and insert the inside to out spokes (from inside the hub toward the outside of hub and lace the same way.

Then True it.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  5. dutch

dutch New Member

spokes

If I'm I got this right you want to replace the spokes, so if that is correct one easy way is to tie the spokes where they cross each other with wire or electical tape. Then use a bolt cutter cut all the spokes below your tape remove all the nipples and spokes in groups as they are tied. Then one side at a time replace the spokes and as you do this start the new nipples as you go then turn it over do the same on that side and you are ready to true the wheel. Dutch
  6. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Best bet dude, spend a few bucks, take it to the scooter wrench shop, have 'em re-lace and enjoy! Remember, your life is suspended on those "spokes"!
  7. oldsuperglide

oldsuperglide New Member

"spoked"

i agree with bikerjim. i tried (once) it is not a hard job. IF you have done it a few times. Its not like tighting up our old bicycles. but keep us informed and good luck..
  8. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Spoking

The hard part isn't getting the spokes into the rim, it's getting it to to run true with the proper offset. For that you need a trueing stand and lots of patience. Just a little bit of hop on the wheel and you'll hate the ride.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2006