1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ape Hanger Quote

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wmiconi, Mar 14, 2005.

1. wmiconi

wmiconi New Member

I have a set of 13 inch 1 1/4 apes with 1 1/2 inch risers. I was told by HD that it would cost $1200 to install. I need the cables and brake line.

Question 1. Can direct Parts give me the correct set up with cables,brake line, electrical extensions and throttle cables?

Question 2. Should I try this at home. i am not mech inclined but am not rich!

W
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

$1200 is way out of line.

Shouldn't be more than 4 hours of labor maybe 5 if they run the wires through the bars, less if they just replace the bars, you will need

New +6 clutch and brake lines
    New throttle cables.

YOu can do this yourself, search on bar installs there are a couple of posts that have detailed instructions.
  3. vcj5864

vcj5864 New Member

ape hangers

find an independent shop you trust - not HD dealer. Sanger Cycles in Fort Collins, CO did my 16" Wild One Chubbies for 710 bucks all inclusive. That was for the bars, plus 12 cables and lines in braided, extended harness and 8hrs. labor on an '01 road king. They did an awesome job and Kevin Sanger is the only guy besides me that touches my bike. Sounds like someone's trying to take you for a "ride".
  4. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Hey welcome to BT. You just might want to check the dates on the posts you reply to. This thing is over 2 years old. I would say his bars are on, by now :roflmao: Stay safe and keep the shiny side up.
  5. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

:roflmao: AT 1200 BUCK'S MAYBE NOT:roflmao:
  6. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

:roflmao: Now there is a good point.