1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ape Hanger Set Up

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wmiconi, Jan 31, 2005.

1. wmiconi

wmiconi New Member

Hey all,

I have decided to scrap the drag bars and go for some ape hangers on my 05 FXSTI.
    1. Does anyone have a basic config of the parts I will need to go with hidden wires.
    2. Should I get a different set of risers from the stock ones?
    3. Does the 1 1/4 inch have an advantage over 1 inch bars?
    4. 12 inch, 14 inch or 18 inch.

I value the infor I get from this site.

CD- Your guys helped me and bought a big sucker. Would you be able to get me the parts I need?
  2. CD

CD Guest

Absolutely...Send Sam an e-mail and lay it out for him. Sam is my tech guy and is great at his job. sam@directparts.com
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you want to cut down some of the wire splicing time, you can get a set of HD Dyna Switches, one side is very long and will work perfectly on the 12 inch for a heritage setup, you will have to extend one side only. Plus you can keep your drag bars wired internally if they are already if you want to go back.

Otherwise, measure to see how much wire extensions will need to be, then cut and splice in the additions, cut off the tip ends and put the extension inbetween the cuts so your tips all have the correct colors and stagger the cuts so you don't have huge bump in the middle to pull through.