1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Arlen Ness Air Kits

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Mar 30, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Was riding down the road yeaterday, the wife ssid did you hear something do ding, ding, ding. I said No,
    She said I think something fell off yer bike, so I made a U turn and went back and laying on the side of the road was my Arlen Ness Stage II air kit. The round cover was all skint up, the filter was still there and the 3 bolts that go into the backin plate had snapped off in the backin plate.
    Don't look like I will be using a Arlen Ness Air kit any more.
  2. Injunfxdwg

Injunfxdwg New Member

I had a similar problem with the cast backing plate. Where the bolts mount on the the carb, the casting material broke on two of the three bolts. Bye, bye Arlen Ness.
  3. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

I have the stage one breather, and was wondering if anyone had probs with it as well?

Bd
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

using the SE heavy breather myself, keep thinking the leverage and vibrations might do the same but keeping my fingers crossed
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

While I've always liked the Ness design (integrated breather) the bolts they use have been questionable for years. I believe they are made from 2 pieces pressed together or screwed together rather than a single assembly. The top half is a softer aluminum which is just asking for trouble. The first one I ever bought years ago had an issue where the bolts seemed too short. Ever since then I've skipped using the bolts and use some bolt stock, locktite nuts in place to hold the backing against the carb/throttle body, and another nut as a standoff for the filter.
  6. mctech

mctech New Member

Hello, this is Customer Service at Arlen Ness Enterprises, and this is our first posting. We had heard that there were some negative postings regarding our products on this forum, and have decided to jump on board to see if we can help. We try to provide the best possible parts, and support them with the best possible customer service in the industry.
    First we would like to say that we are sorry to hear of the problem. I don't see that anyone posting a negative comment had ever tried to contact us for a solution. We are simply asking that if you have a problem with any of our products, give us a chance to try and solve the problem before posting a negative thread. We have knowledgable and helpful folks here to help you Monday-Friday 8am-5pm Pacific time. Our customer service number is 925 479 6350. Again, if you have a problem with any of our products, please give us a call. We value your feedback!
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

Just a thought, but if bad bolts are a recurring problem then you should have addressed that issue by now.

Sorry, no sale here.

Bd
  8. cardboard

Where the threads go into the backing plate the bolt threads broke into.

This is on a Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage II

I was very busy today and didn't have time to call them, I did email them yesterday oh.

I just contacted Mtech that replied above and will see what they come up with.
    I'm supprised they didn't send me a Pm.
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

my ness 11 is still ok.....about 40k on it.........
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sound's like mcteck is on top of this cardboard way to go :cool:
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup!!!! thanks dave
  12. mctech

mctech New Member

Hello cardboard, did try to send a pm but, but it says "carboard has chosen not to receive private..." I didn't receive a pm or any other correspondence from you that I can find, but am looking forward to working with you. Again, our number is 925 479 6350, and we're here 8-5 Pacific time M-F.
  13. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Thank you MCTECH for stepping up and offering our members your assistance.
  14. cardboard

Contacted Arlen Ness Tech Support today, McTech said he would take care of me and my problem. So I will sit back and see what they do. McTech was plenty nice on the phone and seemed to be interested in takin care of me.
    I invited him here to see what he can do to help.

I had a heck of a time with a Dremel Tool and carbided dental drill bit drillin a hole in the bolt along with a lot of drill bits, Then I was able to use a left handed drill bit to git the studs out of m throttle body.

There was exactly 1/2 " of the bolt thread down in the throttle body that I took out.
    Finally got it out. It was a job oh.

Thank you McTech !
  15. scottf

scottf New Member

The back plate on the stage 1 kit I bought cracked around one of the 3 mount holes. I contacted Arlen Ness, and Andy May is sending me a replacement. It's nice to know that some companies still stand behind there products!!
    Scott, Osan Korea
  16. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

Hey Scott,

How many miles on the scoot after you installed the stage one before you noticed this problem?

Wanna make sure I stay up on it and keep checking mine from time to time.

Bd
  17. cardboard

Got my Zippers air kit in today, also got the new Arlen Ness air kit.
    Took the zippers out of the box and the backin plate would not fit on the throttle body without a gap between the backin plate and they throttle body with the gasket there. There is a HD emblem on the zippers Backn plate. Go figure
    Took the A/N backin plate out, it fits perfect. Fck.
    The bolts that go in threw the backin plate into the throttle body are differentlengths between zippers and A/N. The zippers Max flow is a little thicker, but the A/N is bigger around.
    I notised the zippers had the right length grade 8 bolts I was lookin for that go between the button head bolts and the throttle body.. I took the studs out of the zippers bolts and put them in the A/N and put the A/N new kit back on. It fit perfect.
    I notised on the new A/N kit that the button head bolts that went into the throttle body didn't have O rings like the last kit did too.

Now I'm waitin on the new A/N 8" round cover.
  18. scottf

scottf New Member

Yeah Dave, I had put probably put 3 or 4 K miles on the bike when I pulled the filter for cleaning, and noticed the crack in the backing plate.
    Ride safe,
    Scott
  19. cardboard

Just found out that if you use a SE backin plate you have to remove the brace.
  20. steveb

steveb Active Member

I put the Arlan Ness Big sucker Satge 1 on last year and I have 11,000 miles on it with no problems. But I will be checking it before the weather clears up and I can ride again.