1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Arlen Ness Big Sucker

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bobton5, May 29, 2009.

1. bobton5

bobton5 New Member

Last week I installed the CVP tuners kit, as I posted earlier, trike runs great. I am using the oem air cleaner and backing plate with a K&N air filter. Two questions; 1) will I really gain anything by going to the A-N big sucker and 2) what changes will I have to make to the carb; besides the obvious of adjusting the idle mixture. If, I make the change I am going to buy the big sucker stage 2 but still run the oem air filter cover plate. (kinda keeping that sleeper look hehe) Thanks, Bob
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

only if ya go to the big sucker two will ya gain more air but if your runnin a kn now ya probably only notice the cosmetic
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The dyno will know for sure but properly tuned you should pick up some HP and tq over your current setting.

The stock air box is very restrictive for one thing to keep down noise.

You will probably need to increase one size the pilot jet, and maybe the air mix screw,

Have you done the exhaust?

A full stage one pipes and air filter kit like this is best bang for buck to increase power. I would venture a 10 to 14% gain in power. (Remember stock is 58 to 64 so it can make a difference.

If you want it to jump a little more a nice TQ cam would be good for it, with that filter and pipes.

ANdrews tw-21 or 26
    Woods TW-6
    Kuryakyn TC2

of course a big bore wouldn't hurt
    then some headwork,
    then some nos

sorry it just starts out as a filter LOL
  4. bobton5

bobton5 New Member

While a dyno run would be the best, I have yet to find anyone that can put my trike on one. As far as exhaust, I have sampson slip-ons - turnouts. Because of the trike kit (lehman), I'm extremly limited with exhuast in what I can do, once I clear the rear passenger boards, my exhaust drops down about 3" to clear the 'new' swing arm and axle. Cams? That'll be next winter project. Thanks, Bob
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

check with some automotive shops.....performance shops. some have dynos for cars and maybe they would dyno it for you.
  6. bobton5

bobton5 New Member

Been there, asked that... rear tires are set to close together and no place for the front tire. Think of a service garage drive on lift rack. Thanks, Bob