1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Assisting The Old Man

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 25, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I thought that it would never happen but the day is getting closer and closer. My dad is looking to buy a motorcycle!! Awhile back I went to the the nearby Indian dealer and gave the bikes a pretty good look and I thought to myself that they were a pretty nice bike, and they are well refined piece of machinery. My dad when he was 17 came close to buying an Indian Chief but wasn't able to make the purchase because his father wouldn't let him, but my dad never forgot that and spoke of it often. After I looked at the bike, I had mentioned to my dad that Indian was in business again and I gave him the bike catalog that I grabbed from the dealer. Eventually him and I made our way back to the dealer and he gave it a good look and he gave it high praise as well for what he knows of bikes.

My dad hasn't made a purchase yet and it is possible that he won't but I will be there to help him make the best decision as possible. I am asking him to be patient and to consider all things before he buys. And yes, that means taking a look at Harley's which is the way that I am trying to sway him, but in the end he will buy what he likes and wants, I just want him to be informed. Another thing that I am doing is I am giving my dad our Suzuki for the summer and letting him get used to riding that and also to gauge how much he enjoys or doesn't enjoy riding before he spends the money on a bike. Not only that, then he can get his endorsement and actually test ride some bikes rather then making a purchase decision base on looks only. :)
  2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I guess his age, physical condition and ability, and finances would play an important part also. Father in law bought a new Softail (Heritage?) looked like bike FLHT posted pics on anyways). Beautiful bike. But with bags and windshield he did not look comfortable on it. Sold it after 4 years and about 300kms. Yes, 300kms. Now he has a little Honda Shadow he putts around on once in awhile, perfect for his interest level in operating a motorcycle.

Whatever you choose, make sure his projected use and financial commitment match up evenly. The Suzuki for summer sounds like an excellent idea towards that.
  3. JohnnyBiker

He has said already that he doesn't really want to buya brand new one. Money isn't a concern at all. My biggest worry about the Indian is that there just is not any dealer support yet so if he is out on a trip and breaks down, he is in a bad situation. I am stoked abut him trying at least.
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Pretty cool, Johnny. Letting him ride the Suzy is perfect to get him used to riding, and on today's roads things are quite different than in the old days. Lots of distracted drivers out there . . . hope he has fun riding around this summer.
  5. Roadster guy

Guess if he decides on Japanese you could always have him declared unfit to care for himself and have him institutionalized...
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Jb sounds like a good deal ,but you never mentioned have you Dad take or check into a safety course , So I'am just guessing He can ride
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  7. JohnnyBiker

He has said that he is not intetested in Japanese bikes as far as buying one. However, to ride one to get semi aquainted with riding, now that is a diffetent story. He has ridden dirt bikes I guess when he was really young but ahain, that eas a really long time ago.
  8. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Awsome he doesn't like Japanese..old school!

An Indian is a glorified Victory(Polaris)

My father who road all his life, in his 70's chose a softail because he felt it gave him a greater command over the bike because of its low slung seated position. And he rode it like he stole it till the day he died at 76.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  9. Roadster guy

I'm just happy to hear you have an opportunity to ride with him. I'd love it if dad bought a bike again, but he figures he is in his twilight years I guess, keeps telling me "someday, this will all be yours.." I keep asking him why such punishment. LOL!
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't worry about Indian service, it's owned by polaris and
    I'd imagine they are going to be head over heels to make sure people
    are taken care of, he could hit any victory place and they could get parts.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Yeah it is that time in our lives to where him and I start to hang out a lot more. My wife Hot Rider is trying to get me to move out of state but I am resisting that notion pretty strongly. My dad is starting to get up there in age and I would rather be here with him. My wife is being pretty cool about it so far. ;)
  12. hotroadking

Well if she's trying to get you to move south
    I can understand that this year...
  13. Roadster guy

I keep threatening to get a job down Fla. when we head down each year, I get bored with her dragging me shopping all the time. Wife is too hung up on family here to stay down south, though.
  14. JohnnyBiker

I just have no desire at this point to move. Someday maybe.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
  15. hotroadking

Your desires are a direct function of the wifes desires..... :artist:
  16. JohnnyBiker

NOT!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
  17. hotroadking

glrasshlopper have rot to rearn... :hurting::hurting:
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Ah so! Ah so! My mother-in-law, sweet ol' gal that she is, has entered the Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes. Says if she wins, we can all move down to Florida and "retire". She's 85 LOL.

My choice would be Venice on the gulf coast.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Yeah, but you can't give in all the time. Going on 10 years. ;)
  20. hotroadking

Ha she's just letting you think you won.......

Whippersnapper, you'll learn one day,
    when you get the pebble from her hand....