1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

At The Top Of The World

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jun 30, 2006.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Well, were on our trip and here is a pic of the wife and I at the top of the world on Bear Tooth Pass. We walked up this little knoll and at 11,000 feet you breathe just a bit harder. :cool:
    Got caught in a thunder cell in Idaho. We read later that there was 3 inches of rain in that area in 1/2 hour. It was dang right scary going through it. Didn't dare stop for fear of getting hit by someone coming from behind who couldn't see. It looked like a sold wall of water as we rode into it. No place to stop so had no choice. we heard on the local news that night that flash flood washed out sections of the road behind us. :eek:

In the picture Pat is holding a rock she picked up to take home to put in her pond and stream. Had to have a rock from Bear Tooth Pass, :)

Marc G

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Nice picture, looks very scenic. Whenever I do a high altitude ride, I try and find some snow to make some snowballs, then I can say I had a snowball fight in July. Ya kind of stupid, but how many people can say that?( in the northern hemisphere).
  3. Old Fart on 87FLH

Old Fart on 87FLH New Member

My wife and I rode up to about the 4100 ft level (thats as high as we could go,road still blocked by snow) on Mt Baker here in Wa state on Monday, and the first thing she did was walk over to the snow and make a snowball so she could tell her Mom back in Texas ,where it's about 90+ degrees,she had made sowballs today.
    I sure could tell a power drop on the old carb powered Glide going up, but not enough to stop and adjust for it.What a fun ride!;)
  4. FLHTbiker

The first pic is looking at the Saw Tooth MTN range that we rode through and the second picture is the four of us just after leaving Sun Valley Idaho looking back at the Saw Tooth Range.
    We had some pretty good riding. Lots of all kinds of animals in Yellowstone.

here

Attached Files:

5. SK

SK New Member

Have a safe trip Marc..great pics. Reminds me of Colorado. I've been through Sun Valley and the Sawtooth mountains a couple of times up towards Stanley, ID..gorgeous!

Looking forward to flying to Sacramento tomorrow morning to get out of this Las Vegas heat..107º today (still 90º at 11pm). Gonna be in Yosemite over the 4th with my little dachshund on the passenger seat of the RS (he's flying w/me in the morning). Looking forward to a little cool weather for a couple of days.
  6. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Good pics

Been there in Sun Valley and up the beartooth as well..great riding!! It's almost time we got together for a ride of some type
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great pics, thanks. looks like a great place to be this time of the year. hope to see more pics of your trip, be safe and have fun
    chuck
  8. FLHTbiker

Yea Sleepy, we should not make it so long in between rides together.

Were back home now. Great trip.

Got to go to two free concerts while in Billings at the national HOG rally. One with Sugarland (Jennifer Nettles ) a kind of rock and roll country group. Very good

Second group was Credance Clearwater Revisited. There lead singer sounds just like John Fogerty and they were excellent.

Made it home from billings in 1 1/2 days. Told my wife when we pulled into Lewiston Idaho that if I was by myself I would have had a lite meal and then headed for home. Its ony about a 900 mile ride one way.
  9. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Glad you had fun...I'm just finishing up 12 12 hour shifts in a row..got a wicked cold..feel not so good..vacation in 2and one half weeks...Moab here we come.
  10. FLHTbiker

Gonna do the Grand Canyon Bob, that would be a cool ride. Hope it ain't to hot down there. You going to Sturgis this year?

Test rode a Vrod while in billings. Lots of power but the seating position really sucked. Felt like I was on one of those sport bikes. I think the Vrod with forward controls would be better.
  11. SK

SK New Member

I sat on one of the new VRods and liked the foot pegs better than the foward controls. Just seems like it would handle better. I think that's the way HD originally wanted to make the bike, but thought they'd ease the faithful into something that different by having the forward controls. Now..it just seems like it should've been all along.
  12. FLHTbiker

SK, I must be getting old as after a 25 min. ride my legs that were bent up in a squat position I was ready to get off. The forward controls on the Screaming Eagle version was much more comfortable. :(
  13. SK

SK New Member

Marc, you're taller than I am, so feet under your butt pegs no matter what probably don't feel comfortable. As for me, even though I like the newer VRod better, I could get two Yamaha FZ1's for the same price, and it'll blow the VRod out of the water both power and handling wise. What I wanna see is HD put a larger version of the VRod engine in an FLH body and I'd really consider getting my first HD.
  14. FLHTbiker

Problem with the Vrod is they sound like a Honda, would have to do something about that. The motor has a lot of power can't see why on that size of a bike why you would need more. The price on the Vrod is less than most Harleys. Still, couldn't ride in that position. Good chance you might see that type of motor in more Harleys in the future with all the stupid crap coming down from the feds. :mad:
  15. SK

SK New Member

I believe VRods go for $17k (or $16,999 last I recall..maybe more now)..that ain't cheap. It's close to double what a Sporty cost. I think you'll definitely see more of the engine. Water-cooled engines for the most part last longer and allow for easier manipulations of emmisions than air-cooled engines. They also have more tolerance for valves too..both my big Yammies need only be adjusted every 26k miles. The Royal Star never needed much adjustment after the first 26k and I've got over 95k miles on it now.
  16. FLHTbiker

SK, I can get a VRod at our dealer for 15999 to 16900.