1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Avon calling

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Sep 24, 2008.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

ok...I know this is a bit personal choice and type of riding(trips,curves,etc)
    time for another rear tire.
    Tried alot of different kinds over the years. Just interested in this AVon Venom tire, a softer outer compound and tread for the curves and a harder compound for the inner tread. That was how it was explained to me by a local shop. Seen the tire and all. I have worn down Avons and Mets as well as a Dunlops but I have'nt tried the Venom series with this compound mix, or have I? ;) ANYONE?
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I haven't run the Avon Venom tires personally, but many of the "canyon carver" persuasion in our Sportster group do & they love 'em. They don't last very long, but for those willing to give up long tread life for superior traction, they're very popular. Comments include the Venoms track well in the rain & don't follow road imperfections, bridge grating, etc.
  3. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

I agree with Art, the venom is a great road worthy tire though it doesn't give much tread life. I've been utilizing them for 8 years and I love them. My riding bud uses Metzler marathon's and he loves them. As a rule of thumb, they usually last about 10K but it depends on your riding style, road conditions and so on. I just replaced mine a few months ago and the tire had about 10k. The inner belts was starting to show thru. I suppose is a matter of preference.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Been running them for years you can get 8 to 10 out of a rear if you're easy on the throttle and weight and keep it aired up t hey like more air than a dunlap

Handling will improve significantly, ride is smooth no wallowing
  5. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Metzler Marathon for me from now on. They wear like crazy, handle great on my Sporty, much nicer ride than the DungRock, and took the slip out of wet roads for me. Yeah I know to still slow down on wet but I feel 100% better on the ME880 than I did on HD dunlops. Never ran an Avon, always heard good by them other than tread life. I would give up tread life for my own life any day though :D .
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I just put a Dunlop E3 on the rear of my RK. I only have about 400 miles on it so far, but it seems to ride smoother and corner better than the 402 altho that could be all in my head or just the difference between a worn out tire and new rubber.
  7. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Love the Metz Marathons... Had "Dungrocks" 2 times before that... Metz's are far superior. Never had Avons, so I can't comment on them...:)
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

E3's are supposed to be good, limited tire size as long as you run stock width tires they are better jmo than stock 402s