1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bad CB

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Jun 21, 2006.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I have been dealing with this CB on my 06 now for some time. When I transmit everyone says it has a lot of static noise in it. I have checked all of the connections and put a SWR meter on it but it still does this. I wonder if I just have a bad radio. Any thoughts on it. :confused:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am no cb tech.....but if it was mine and installed by a dealer, i would talk to the dealer about having a local cb tech look at it......i know that they are very ground hungry. make sure every ground is clean. also check the connection under the seat or in the left fuse cover where the antenna hooks up. there is a break between the antenna in the rear and the radio. it is under one of those places. also near the back where the antenna mounts make sure the wire hasnt rubbed through. you will need to remove the bags to check this...the seat also. all the wire for the antenna runs down the left side. hope this helps
    chuck
  3. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

no expert here either but try running a ground from the attena base back to the radio. I've seen that fix the problem on more than one Peterbuilt.
  4. CD

CD Guest

Okay, my CB knowledge is a bit 'dated' here....like from 1969 or so.

There are some easy ways to check it out.
    What is the SWR reading? The closer to 1:1 the better and over 2.5:1 I'd get worried. Most antennas have a way to adjust the SWR or load. On the majority of the antennas I used (ground plane type), you adjusted the length of the mast to tune the SWR. Sometimes, you have to shorten the length but be very careful cut to much off and you'll need a new antenna.

The lower the SWR, the more efficient the transmit and receive. Also, ground planes on bikes, RV's and Semi's can be a trip.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/CBs_&_RVs.htm

You probably were well aware of all of the above but, I figured I'd go over it anyhow.

The Mic, cable and connection can cause a lot of noise. If there is a small break in the shielding or a wire or a connection point, the impedance can change causing noise. Easily tested by swapping out the mic for a known good one.

The coax between the CB and the atenna cannot be kinked, smashed or have damaged connectors. This usually shows up in the SWR though.

I found this out on my rig. When I put a new high gain short mast on my trunk lid, the noise was terrible and the SWR was almost 3:1. I went around in circles until I asked my Uncle about it. He looked at it, opened the trunk and pointed to a pinched piece of coax right where the cable exited the trunk.

If the SWR is around 2:1 or so, I would substitute a mic first.