1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bad day today

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 31, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Wondered when it would ever happen. Home Inspection today two roof levels and ladder came out from under me going up to the second level. Both me and the ladder went down. Banged and scraped up a bit but still walking. Got some pretty good roof rash on the arms. Those composition shingle roofs are worse than sand paper. Was just stepping off the ladder to get on the upper roof when she went out from under me.
    I knew I should have tied that ladder off, :rolleyes:
    Now I'll have to replace a portion of the gutter where I tore it off coming down, great. :rant:

I think I really need a vacation. To bad were so far apart Chuck, I'd go with you.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

What happened to you is part of the reason why I have not yet gone for Home Inspections. I do not like heights and I have had a bad experience with ladders myself. I always told myself that I would use a really nice pair of BINOCS to view the roof.

I hope that you will be OK. As far as securing the ladder, that is 20/20. Stuff Happens. Get to feeling better soon. Keep us posted on how you are feeling??? :D
  3. FLHTbiker

JB, goes with the territory, I've been inspecting homes for years now and knew better not to tie it off, was just trying to go to fast and got lazy. Pain and all I've got a bigger one to do tomorrow. Not really afraid of heights just learned a long time ago to not look at the ground but instead I focus on the roof and ladder.
    Binoculars just do not get you to where you need to inspect on a roof. To many things like exposed staples, nail heads, bad flashing and a host of other things you just can't see with binoculars. I think the worst part is the crawl spaces but I do really like what I do. :)
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I can see the crawl spaces would be an issue, especially if you are a bigger person. I little so that might not be a problem. I don;t get tight in small places. I know what you mean that the BINOCS aren't the same, but that is how I steer away from heights. OH well. Next time listen to the experience????
  5. FLHTbiker

I'm 220 pounds and its not so much the size but its getting older that makes it tougher under the house, espectially when your crawling on your belly and your back is rubbing the insulation under the flooring.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to here that just a little more then your pride was hurt , watch out & slow down
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Marc, glad you're ok. I remember working on my dad's house roof and when I stepped on the ladder to dome down the bottom slid outand the neighbor's house stopped the slid, it would have been nasty. I'm a lot more careful now.pain hurts
  8. FLHTbiker

Here is a view from the roof of todays inspection, no problems with ladder today. The view of the hills in the back ground is over where our house is located.

Attached Files:

9. steveb

steveb Active Member

That is way too high for me to get up without walls around me. I don't like heights very much .when we built our house it is a 2-stroy house and everything is maint. free so I do not have to go up very high. Hope you feel better soon.
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

_ _ _ t happens.

Glad you didn't break anything dude.:D

Slow down and don't cut corners. :wtf:
  11. FLHTbiker

Yea, cutting corners is not good. I knew I should have tied it off and even looked at the strap but it was late in the day and just didn't grab it. Won't leave it behind again.

Steve, todays roof I did not walk to the edge by the gutters way to high up. Check the shingles for wear and check the ridge and the vents, then get off. Usually getting off is the hardest part as you got to approach the ladder and swing your leg over and make sure your on the step. I don't look at the ground when I'm really high up. The best part is when your down.
  12. cardboard

After open that tiny picture of the house.

There's no way and hell that you could git my monkey ass of the top of the roof, and walk down to the edge where the gutters are, you couldn't use a gun and make me go down there.:rant:

I'd need a mountain climbers outfit with a rope before i'd even think about going anywhere on the roof.
    One fall and say bye baby, no more riding. They don't pay enough.
    If I was lookin for a leak I'd go in the attic with a flashlite.

That's higher than I'm willing to go. I see roofers with those special soft sole boots doing it.
    Not me , I'm scared or heights................:cussing:
  13. steveb

steveb Active Member

My house had to be re-shingled due to hail damage .The crew that did the work were all mexican .Those guys would walk along the edge 2 1/2 stories above the ground with out any safety ropes just soft shoes .would'nt get me on my roof . If I can't get it with a step ladder I don't do it after I fell off the ladder and broke my wrist last fall.
  14. cardboard

Think I'd work with a Mexican roofer to walk the roof and tell me how it is.:banghead:

And if it needs any repair, he gits the job......
  15. FLHTbiker

I do the roofs and the attics. Attics I have a very powerful flashlight, use it in the crawl space to.
    You do have to walk to the edge of the roof to get back on your ladder. I try and leave the ladder a foot to foot and a half extended above the roof edge. My ladder only goes up 24 feet any taller than that I don't go up but look at it with a good pair of binoculars. If the roof pitch is so steep that you can't get up without sliding back down I don't go up. Have got up some steep ones by navigating up the valley but have to come down on my butt sliding down to the ladder, little spooky for sure sometimes. :eek:
  16. FLHTbiker

Most roofers here hire Mex workers. You ever seen an old Mex. roofer :)
  17. cardboard

If I step on a roof, my problem also is gittin back on the ladder.
    Once I'm on the ladder I'm O.K. but gittin on it is the problem.
  18. FLHTbiker

That's one of the scariest parts getting back on the ladder. Sometimes if possible I'll remove an upper bedroom window screen and get on the roof that way.
  19. cardboard

You don't understand, its takin my feet off the roof and swingin them around and on the ladder.
    YOu have to look down tooooooooooo..................:gah:
    I kinda lock up and it takes me a while to do the ladder man.:injured:

If I think about it or stop for a minute I can't git on the ladder. I have to sit down and then I wonder about callin the fire department to come and git me off the roof.............
    Its gittin harder with age too.
  20. FLHTbiker

How I fell was not coming down but going up. Just as I was stepping off to the upper roof the ladder went out from under me and down we both went. That how I got my roof burns on my arms, was trying to keep from falling but didn't help, slowed it down a bit but still went down. :(