1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bad hand

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cowboy, Aug 26, 2009.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I was having trouble with my left hand & so off to the Doc's & had it check out after some X rays on both the left hand & right elbow he say's it athritise(sp) so I'am thinking of the EZ clutch deal like Abby put in , If I find myself looking for nutral at a stop ,it goes in ! I have been having some trouble at time's pulling in the clutch just to shift :confused:& doing some other things around here , The right elbow not's so bad ,but the left hand is harder to live with , :gah:
    I did go back & read Abby's how to in her Bike chic mag thank's Abby it will come in handy
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Cowboy sorry to hear about the arthritis, sucks. Putting in the EZ-clutch is easy. I just tried putting one on the wifes Trike. It wouldn't' work because of the reverse gear not enough room with it installed, however its really easy to install without the reverse. Hardest part was pulling the exhaust which I was able to just loosen it up to get the bolts out of the case cover. Just make sure to give yourself enough slack on the clutch cable.
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Yes, very easy! I can't believe how easy it makes squeezing the clutch too. I always felt it would be too wussy to have one, but it was that or not riding after the surgery. It's helped my elbow too. I couple of years back I had broken down on my bike and pushed it back home about a mile or so. It ended up giving me really bad tennis elbow, which I had until I put the easy clutch on - almost two years. I hadn't realized the clutch was keeping that in pain too.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I have a new Burly ez-pull clutch kit still in the package if you are looking for one. I had bought it for my previous bike but I don't think I'll be using it on the FLHX as HD changed the ramp making it easier to pull on the new models. LMK
  5. FLHTbiker

Ken, if Cowboy does not want it let me know as I've been thinking of installing one on my 01 Springer.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I had the e-z pull, works fine

However I changed over to the HD easy pull kit, it comes with new ramps so no add on parts in the tranny cover to come apart, if you just need the ramps (say you have the se clutch and just want to reduce pull) you can order the ramps separate, but the HD one comes with new ramps and a reduced effort clutch spring. Works well.

Also there are new clutch cables coated internally with teflon, about a 20% reduction in pull effort, I have a Rivera Pro clutch with the gold (racing) spring on the 124 and it pulls easier than stock...

BTW one other option is to spend a few more bucks and get hd's hydraulic clutch and install, it has very little effort and works great...

See if you can get Medicare to pay for it, seems to me its a medical necessity, if you can get a doctor to prescribe it (daily transport) lol
  7. hddoc94565

hddoc94565 New Member

Just softened the pull on my 01 FLTR, still have to do the 04 FXSTN. Herers what i did. the bagger had the SE spring with the Hyd clutch installed as i put the 95" kit in when new (part of the advantage of working at a dealer parts at cost) any way removed the SE spring and replaced with spring from stock 96' model pull now is less than a Vrod with no slipping 2 up. Did others on cust bikes before ending up on disability, changing the ballNramp to the 18degree from the 21 that is stock makes biggest diff. you can get these at swap meets as it was the stock mech for the evos they changed with the TC's the fun part is finding the right spring their are about 6 different ones out there now as they use different thickness for different apps.Sport,Evo TC with changes during different years. I was trying to compile a list but lost all my notes when they packed my tools and sent me on my way. Dealers had sometrust issues as they closed the door with no warning. But that another story. The reason for all this is i have had 6 different surgurys in the past 20 months to get the use of my hands and arms back. Took the bike out for the first time in 8 months over the weekend. Was the best ride that i can remember taking in years. The ol lady said it must have been good for me as i have stopped biting the heads off of dogs and small children. the neighbor like it too as they can let their kids out of the house again. If i can find any info on the spring thicknesses i wil post on this site. as buying the spring and ball n ramp seperatly is cheaper than the stock EZ pull kit they sell.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sorry to hear cowboy...........you will like the ez clutch.....let me know if ya need anything...
  9. cowboy

thank's to all I'am thinking of just going with the EZ clutch set up for now ,took the eglide into town today had my grand daughter on back was'nt to bad it 's the two center fingers that bother me , but would rather ride with a little pain then not at all
    ken PM sent
  10. hotroadking

I have used both, let me give you the pro/con

Ez-Pull $30 through Kuryakyn- not HD made, (thats a pro or con depending on you) has multiple parts, requires assembling a connection that changes the hook up position of the cable.

This requires you to remove the cable from the trans cover, install a spacer and when you go to put the clutch cable back in the cover, it's not going to screw all the way in, meaning less threads are used, so you are exposed to issues with the cable possibly breaking off in the cover or pulling and stripping as it has less to hold on to.. yes this happened to me with an aftermarket SS braided cable, once the spacer was in we couldn't get a good bite, had to shave down the spacer or replace the cable,
    subsequently adjustments were a PIA..

So you have parts assembled in the cover that can come loose, change the angle of the cable, note in the picture below how the cable is now cocked and rubbing more against the cable shield, and repositions the cable length and a spacer that makes up the difference for the cable.

Installed
    [​IMG]

Breakdown of Parts
    [​IMG]

On the HD Kit, $40 Retail (20% off at Jenny etc) Reduced Effort Clutch Kit you get two new ramps that maintain the proper angle in the trans cover, as well as eliminate extra parts, and, doesn't require you to remove the cable from the cover or add any spacers. You also get a reduced effort spring for the clutch, which you don't have to use.

[​IMG]

I have used both, ran into clearance problems with the ez pull, the HD kit was drop in stuff...

So they are about $2 different in price, and as you can see with the ez pull you are changing the hook up point, cable fit and spacing and adding parts that have the potential to come loose in the trans cover..
  11. cowboy

HRK thank's for that info I have the round finger plate someone gave me , If I don't need the small hook looking deal will I just have to install the finger plate?
  12. hotroadking

When you say round finger plate you mean the clutch spring that is in the bottom picture?

You can try that and it might be enough for you, it all depends on your hand.

It won't hurt anything to put it in, remove the derby cover, remove old spring, replace with new spring, provided you can get the spring through the hole which you might be able to do without bending anything.

remove the nuts from the clutch spring retaining ring, pull off ring, spring will drop so grab it and then see if you can work it out.

If not you'll be removing the primary cover..
  13. cowboy

yes in the bottom pic the larger looking piese ,look's alomst the the GM style pressure plate so I just called it a finger plate
    Ther are day's the hand wont bother me & other's it a real PITA :gah:
  14. hotroadking

try it, might be what you need

Also you might consider changing the clutch cable out, especially if you change the ramps (the other part in the bottom picture) as you'll have to take the trans side cover off anyway..

New clutch cables from Barnett are teflon coated inside, I've got one it helps and the pull is reduced by 20 to 30% on the effort.

Might be a combo of things to help you,

Or you can get a Hondamatic!
  15. FLHTbiker

I put one on my Springer when the clutch cable was about to break. Pull is a lot better. Should have done the easy clutch at the same time but I was being cheap.
  16. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I have the Harley version and it works fine. I noticed a reasonable difference, but it still is tighter than my dirt bike.
  17. cowboy

Thank's HRK I'll look into the barnett cable ,I ran one of there clutch's on my shovel back when & it held up to all I could give it & then some :D
  18. cowboy

The Doc called me today & said he like me to see another Doc who can put some type of shot in my knuckles on my left hand & help it out pain wise :eek:he also said the ole hand will be out of service for a bit , not long he said day or two he also said it will be a week or so before I should ride being the clutch on my big harley is harder to pull then the one on his small honda , he like's to just go riding as well as we do , he young & has a new kid about 6mos old so he tells me just to get away he go'es riding :cool:
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow.....i hope the shots help!!!! good luck with it!
  20. hotroadking

BTW ken has that ez-pull, it might be a good option, I was just telling you what I went through, but I had an aftermarket cable too.

If you run the stock stuff the Ez pull with that spring will probably make a big difference and the ez-pull isn't bad, it's just got a lot more bits to it...

I preferred the new HD ramp system because it's just two parts and the same cable angle.

BTW if you hop up that engine too much that weaker spring won't hold without some help, I can't recall the name but CD used to sell a weighted clutch plate that has various weights on it that would spin out and in on clutch pull, reduced the effort to pull but puts a lot more pressure on the clutches when engaged so you can use weaker springs

now what the heck were those things called....