1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bad Ignition??

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, May 29, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has a 99 Sportster and he is having some trouble with it. the following text is his description of what is going on with it... any help will be helpful and appreciated... Here is his description....

I've been checking ebay also. I've only found one that looks like the right one. But it came off a 1200. U wouldnt happen to know if it'll be the same ignition would u? Let me see what he's looking to spend. I guess his biggest deal is that he's not 100% sure thats the problem. So till he goes and buys another part at dealer cost and not be the problem, then he ****ed cause he cant return it. Maybe u can help. It started out backfiring and sputtering like it was running out of gas. he reached down and flipped on reserve and it continued to act up. So he calls me and I tell him thats exactly what my sporty that i had did when the coil went. So that morning he was at HD and got a new one. Put it on and started it up, ran like **** for about 10 miles then right back at it again. Seems to be when it gets hot and not till about half throttle or so it breaks up. Eventually once it gets real hot then it wont idle or stay running. Cool it down and it seems fine again. Another guy told him.... thats exactly what mine was doing when the regulator took a ****. We tested the output and its right where it should be. Also looked over wiring and everything seems tight and secure. He took it to some guy that another friend knew and he had it for a week and told him his carb was all out of wack, charged him $20 and sent him on his way. Of course once it got hot it was right back to it. I told him to pull his timer cover and put a blow dryer on the ignition module and heat it up to see if it changes the bike. He said that it almost immediately starting messing up with the hair dryer on it. So with that testing I believe the ignition is bad and when it gets hot from the engine it causes it to go off timing. Just my thinking and diagnosis. Lets hear ur thoughts. Again thanks for all your help...........

NOW, I asked if this bike has a VOES or not but after thinking about it, the ignition that he needs has a sensor in it and I am thinking that it is for the MAP sensor. Could it be the Crank Position Sensor?
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

it is going to be the pick up in the timing cover that would be what we call now a crank angle sensor .
  3. tweaked1973

tweaked1973 Member

I hate that he already spent the money at the dealer for the coil. Jireh sells a complete ignition for $154 including the coil and nosecone module plus wires. It is made by Dyna. I agree that the CAS/module is the cause especially if it acts up as soon as you put heat to it.

Just remember that the coil only does what it is told to do by the module/CAS
  4. JohnnyBiker

Thanks to BaggerPaul we were able to get this issue fixed. Thanks a bunch BP!!:cool:
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

your very welcome . its always a pleasure to help a brother biker get back on the road. and you dont have to thank me brother . its our job to help each other out on this forum its what its about . aint it!!!:D:roflmao: sometimes .its just about bustin these graybeards chops :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  6. JohnnyBiker

I thought that was the only job????:wtf::roflmao: