1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Baffle question...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Hi Gentleman...on my 1983 Shovel FXE
    I just put in a set of Khrome Werks baffles in my 2" drag pipes.
    The bike run great, more power fer sure. Problem is now the throttle response has a slight lag in it. Feels like she's running rich.
    Should I maybe try a smaller main jet in my super e?
    What typically is done to the carb jets when baffles are installed?
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

You will run rich when you change to baffles....Just like when you take them out you will run lean. Not sure exactly what you need to do but re-jetting is probably in order. Hopefully chuck or ken, or one of these other guys will chime in. They know much more than me on that, and can probably suggest jet size as well. good luck.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

first thing i would do is back the air screw out just a tad.............then go from there if it still stumbles off idle. if it does, reduce the low speed on size
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

What size jets are ya running now?
  5. whacker

whacker Active Member

Have you ever tried "AR" cones ..I put some on my 75 Sportty I run drag pipes and I got better throttle response,they don't cost very much.
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

also know as torque cones and yes they work, they however do nothing to make it quieter.
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I don't know what size the jets are now. The size now shouldn't matter right now. I think the question is wheather or not the jet size should get smaller or larger with the add or the baffles. I will check into the torque cones, how does a torque cone work?
    Does anyone know if the turbulators work?
    Thanks guys.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

The torque cones get installed at the head and then your pipes will fit over them. They look basically like a reducer, as it was said, they will not make the bike less loud, but they should increase the torque.

I checked into these when I was working on my bike and I got mixed reviews about them.

I am curious though, why do you say that your current jetting isn't important for what you want to do? If you are running a little rich now I would think that you may be ok with installing baffles without changing jets, just depends on current set up.

Do you have any pics of your red bike yet? I am curious to see the progress?
  9. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

The current jetting shouldn't be important because it doesn't matter what size jet is in there now. If adding baffles makes the bike run richer, then smaller jets (then whats in there now) need to be installed. I was just trying to figure out if baffles usually require smaller or larger jets. Just speaking in general terms, no real specifics involved.
    I will put up new pics of the red bike soon. This weekend I began putting on new tanks, with fresh paint with new H-D emblems as well as new chrome hand control switch housing and levers and new chromite throttle cables. The bike is looking great now with the newer model switch housings and all. I also drilled out the handlebars and hid the wiring inside.
  10. chucktx

:worthless:
  11. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

This is the red bike we speak of..

Attached Files:

12. chucktx

nice!! thanks!!
  13. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

She's for sale. 1970 rebuilt antique frame with an 80" 1983 shovelhead, also rebuilt. new freshly painted gas tanks with H-D emblems. New ignition switch, triple trees, handle bar, risers, chrome switch housings and levers, new air cleaner, new mirrors, new starter drive gear, rebuilt brake calipers. Brand new battery as well. She looks and runs great. She has a nice Sputhe 5 speed trannsy too.
  14. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I took the baffles out last night. My bike runs and sounds 100% without them.
    My motor is 93 cubic inch stroker. The baffle just killed the throttle response and the sound reverb. Much better without them~!
  15. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I understand that Torque Cones help increase (speed up) exhaust gas flow through pipes (scavenge the gases better) that are larger than stock and/or have less restrictive baffles or no baffles. I would think that his problem is to rich of a mixture now that he installed baffles and slowed the exhaust gases down.
  16. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I don't think the torque cones and exhaust wrap tape do much at all. Very little noticable improvment.
  17. Fatboy128

After screwing with my twin cam a lot with the cones etc., I agree with you. Proper jetting is the key. Once HRK wakes up he'll provide some sanity to this issue. I think! :cool:
  18. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

The improve exhaust gas scavenging, bla, bla bla. It's snake oil if you ask me. I have the wrap tape on my pipes but only 'cause it looks cool. Not b/c it improves performance, 'cause it don't. That's my professional opinion. It don't work fer sh1t.
  19. Fatboy128

Again, I agree!
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Lotta debate about the wrap, keeping heat in pipes, helping velocity,
    again it's probably like changing spark plugs or fluids its better but
    negligible on it's own,

Tq cones, I've done them, seen nothing, and not sure why anyone
    would want to neck down the diameter of an exhaust port just
    doesn't seem like a good idea.

I would put the baffles back in. Then adjust the screw like
    was said before reducing fuel, you may end up with better mileage
    and better bottom end throttle response once you dial it in.

Like a new woman you gotta learn what she likes
    or you'll be riding alone...