1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Baffled

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 14, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Will baffles that are dirty mess with the performance of your bike? Will it muffle the sound of your pipes if the baffles are extremely dirty? I do not have fiberglass in mine so that is not in the mix. Thanks.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I suggest you contact Vance & Hines direct. My understanding is you should be able to inspect your baffles by pulling them out of the tube, should just be an Allen wrench job. V&H states that their slip-ons baffles are easily installed,TAPERED SLASH-CUT SLIP-ONS: Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems ,so they must also be easily uninstalled. Should be a quick check, just make sure you use loc-tite when put 'em back in.

Baffle damage is the last thing I'd expect to be a problem on my bike....now, baffle detachment and slamming into a tailgater is something I'm more familiar with!:banghead:
    :cheers:
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao: Pretty cool way to ding a tailgater Red...Not as obvious as dropping ball bearings, marbles spark plugs or nuts;)
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Only time I heard of mufflers changing their note and performance drop off is with fiberglass wrapped baffles,burning off and blowing out of the tail pipe....since yours don't have fiberglass,only thing I could think of is to check for looseness at the head pipe and muffler clamp....

What mufflers you using??
  5. JohnnyBiker

I am using the 4 inch slip ons. They are the Twin Slash Rounds Vance and Hines. I took the baffles out yesterday and yes, they looked good as in not burnt or anything like that. When I get a chance I will go over the exhaust nuts and make sure that those are tight. (I wasn't the last one to have the exhaust off):rolleyes:
  6. Red Rider

Well, it wasn't on purpose - but it sure did take the sting out of losing my end cap/baffle!;)
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

now we're talking how to clean a baffle in an exhaust?

Dang I thought it was summer up there in MN, that's the kinda
    stuff you'd expect in Late Jan when temps are -15 and you
    have been stuck in the house with the kids and OL for a week..

"Hey Hon, think I'll go out in the garage and inspect my muffler bearings" :roflmao::roflmao:
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

JB yes if the mess /dirt plugs up the cut/holes in the baffles
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I believe he has the same mufflers that Maddog and I have on our bikes. Come on a ride with us you'll clean em out or just get on the road and crank it on, you'll clean em out also that way :D
    If your really sooting up then re-jet you carb.
  10. hotroadking

It'd have to be putting out some serious soot
    like a Cummins diesel amount of soot to clog them up
    enough to do anything to the tune...
  11. Red Rider

Totally agree!
  12. hotroadking

Yeah if it's running like this you might need to wash them....:roflmao:

[YOUTUBE]B1epExVwBfI[/YOUTUBE]
  13. JohnnyBiker

I figured that it would have to be pretty bad in order for that to happen. I pulled the baffles and they aren't bad at all. There is something that is going bat shiit that is for sure. :banghead::banghead: Now comes the real "Process of Elimination" challenge. Lots of stuff not happening with my bike at the moment. :roflmao::gah:
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

well if pipes are good double check valve train /pushrods & all , if the sounds has changed that's where I would start good luck
  15. JohnnyBiker

Valve train is good. I hear nothing bad coming for the engine itself. The only noise that I hear is the sweet sound of gear drives. And my exhaust when it was sounding right.

I wanted to start doing my process of elimination of things starting with checking to see if I am wet sumping or not. Well in order to do that I have to have the bike warm so I could pull the plug. Along with all of this I wanted to do a compression test, I even bought a gauge for the occasion. I turned on the ignition, hit the start switch and lights out it went. :roflmao::gah::rant:. Now during the whole time, I had the tender on it, so there was a full charge. I took the seat off, tested the volts and I was at like 13.3 volts. :eek: So now I have nothing coming on when the ignition is on, so I let it sit for a while and I go back about 10 minutes later and I turn the ignition on for hoots and hollers, guess what, there is power again. I went to start it, if gives a short burst and dead again. Repeat. :roflmao::gah::rant:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  16. FLHTbiker

Oh just tear it down and start over :rolleyes:

You need to just go out and ride it.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  17. JohnnyBiker

I would if it would start. :D
  18. Red Rider

It is clear what the problem is: gremlins!

Seriously, though, it sounds like something is shorting out. I had this on my King and it turned out that a connector had just enough dust in it. Once I disconnected, sprayed 'em contact cleaner, and reconnected my harness it cleared up like nothing ever was wrong. I hope it is that simple for ya.
  19. FLHTbiker

Well that's not good, I'm sure you did all the necessary checks?
  20. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I was talking to BaggerPaul and he thinks that this could be causing my underlined issue that I have been mainly concerned about in the first place. A bad ground someplace. Electricity and I do not get along so I brought it to my indy. He was going to check the motor mounts and other things. "Process of Elimination." I was going to install as et of new yoopers battery cables when the engine was apart but didn't. I got lazy. I also asked Derek to check my MAP sensor as that is really the only thing that I didn't replace when it was apart. Oh well, thank God for Suzi and WhipLash. :D