1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Baked on bugs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Hi all

Was wondering how or what you use to get the bugs off that bake onto the exhaust pipes?

Thanks

John
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I use 00. steelwool , I get it at a art supples store & this clearner called gords,, they have a web site , but are here in Texas OK I found his card
    Gord's Home I have been useing it about two years now & very happy with it check out his site in my book it's well worth it
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

use easyoff oven cleaner.....the one for cold ovens. spay it on, let it set overnite, hit it with a hose and rag............viola....no more bugs, tar,grease, oil, ect...............
  4. duke76

duke76 New Member

I dont think I would use steel wool, I used 0000 steel wool on my buddys pipes as they were badly blued with blue job and when we were finished the chrome was duller looking and you could see fine little scratches, not as noticeable as the blue pipes but close, I just use bugs be gone in the spray bottle and let them soak for a couple minutes, get them damp with water and wipe them off, I have heard of a few people using tile and tub cleaner but I have been to chicken to try it. Todd
  5. cowboy

Todd I 've been useing the 0000 steelwool on my chrome for many years now & no problum with scratches , just lighty rub , don't try to do it all at once , but should take only about 15 min from start to finish
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

- Wrap the pipe in a paper towell, spray a good dose of WD-40 on it.
    - Have a beer or two. Root if you're not a drinker.
    - Use the towell to wipe it off. You may need a sturdy piece of plastic (like the lid to a Planter's Peanuts can) to scrape a tiny bit, but it works real well.
  7. duke76

duke76 New Member

There is no question about it I was rubbing the crap out of it but now I am a little gun shy about using steel wool. Todd
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I use hot soapy water to start, helps loosen them up and seems to dissolve the bugs. I finish it up with a spray cleaner called Showtime which really brings out the shine in the chrome and cleans anything that remains. Now Texas size bugs ;) may be bigger and tougher requiring additional help. :D
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Believe it or not

Bounce Dryer Sheets are the best thing to use, or any brand I get a big box from Costco - Kirkland brand.

Windshields,
    Paint
    Chrome.

Wet the area
    Wet the dryer sheet
    Wipe evenly you can apply a little more pressure if needed but
    it's usually not necessary
    Rinse
    Wash with soapy water.

Takes them right off, we have love bugs here some friggin double bugs that splat and stick, bake and adhere like glue to everything.

Takes them right off no fuss no muss easy peasy lemon squeezy

And your bike will smell summer fresh with each cleaning makes the wimmens happy, like new sheets on the bed.... :roflmao:
  10. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

l.a.[awesome] all purpose cleaner degreser at most dollar stores or never dull.
  11. TM103

TM103 Active Member

I'm with Hotroadking. I've been using the drier sheets for years. They will take bugs of the front of the Mtrhm, even after a couple days baked on, and not damage theclear coat.:D
  12. chucktx

dryer sheets.................who woulda thunk it!!!!!!!!!!! gonna give it a try, thanks! doesnt scratch windshields????
  13. steveb

steveb Active Member

All I ever do is get a bath towel soaking wet and let it lay on pipes , fairing or windshield for about 30 minutes and the bugs loosten up and wipe right off.
  14. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Won't hurt the plastics a bit Chuck!!:chopper:
  15. chucktx

16. cowboy

wow dryer sheet's will have to try & if the ladys like the smell even better:D
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Chuck just don't clean your teeth with them, tried it, funny taste but my breath was better for a while!

Won't scratch, just like anything on paint, don't go rubbing on a single spot with a ton of pressure, you get it all wet and the sheet wet, then just lightly rub, I've had to put a little pressure on some baked on love bugs but not much, they come right off.

Used it on the wifes new Edge the other night, coming across the lake we have these "noseeum bugs" blind mosquitos, nasty stinky lake bugs, coat the front of the vehicle, just wet, wipe, repeat, rinse, done.
  18. chucktx

great tip and how to....................thanks...............:)
  19. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I try to get them off right after they bake by putting a drop of tobasco them and then pressing a corn tortilla against them. After a minute just peel off and you have a mighty good taco.

On second thought, I think this fits better under the recipe section :p

I'll have to try the dryer sheet tip, I usually have one falling out of my pant leg half way through the day anyway.
  20. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I always find them at the end of the day, take'n my shirt off, and wonder how I missed it, guess I'll put them to more use now.:roflmao: