1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Batteries

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by scout943, Mar 23, 2008.

1. scout943

scout943 New Member

Are all the newer batteries that come on todays Harleys sealed so you cannot service them?:)
  2. greenflyingdog

greenflyingdog New Member

Check whit Interstate. They have a great selection and usually you can choose what features you want in your battery!
  3. scout943

scout943 New Member

The reason I ask is my neighbor has a 05 the big one with saddle bags and all the goodies bought it new now battery is dead after sitting all winter and doesnt seem to want to hold a charge I was just wondering if water level might be low there is a plastic strip on top of battery that looks like it could be removed they had to get the electrolite in the battery some how but I dont want to wreck the battery on this guy hes to anil and might have a stroke!! Not use to the new fangled stuff my bike is a 72 Sporty
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I believe all the new batteries coming on new models are sealed, and even though they appear like you can open the top they aren't meant to be refilled. Chances are if the battery sat all winter without a trickle charge on it then some of the cells could be done. Personally I've had good luck with sealed batteries as long as I keep them charged, whereas I've had more than my share of non-sealed batteries spill over. Have you buddy pick up a new battery and invest in a battery tender. My 4 year old battery still turns over my big bore build daily as if it were brand new ever since keeping it charged on one of those BT Jr's. I just plug it in to the quick connect at night and don't even worry about it anymore.
  5. scout943

scout943 New Member

Thank you for the info I will tell him!! Joe K.:)
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup, if it sits it will go bad. battery tenders are worth the money, if used properly!!!!!!!!:)
  7. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Quick connnect? Is there someplace other than the battery itself to put the alligator clips? My Sportster has a chrome battery box and even with it off it's nye on to impossible to get to the battery posts and I'd probably zap the positive to the frame somplace. Tight fit is an understatement and the battery is on the port side (left looking forward) with the posts are on the starboard side, or "in the back" of the battery when looking at it. When I replaced it it took 7 minutes to remove and 30 to install and I had to bend one of the cable ends 90 deg.!! Yes, it is the correct battery - got a sealed one at Interstate.

THNX
  8. chucktx

yes, there are connectors that attach to the battery perminatly, and have a short pigtail that you hide. when needed you pull the pigtail and plug the tender into it......very simple and clean setup....pigtails available where ever batteries or motorcycles are sold........:)
    and auto parts stores also, if ya know what you want, as the ex burger flipper behind the counter could care less on what he sells you.....:banghead:
  9. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

The quick connectors come with the battery tender, as well as clamp types to charge batteries on the bench. I hooked mine up a while ago, it was an X-mas gift. I installed the quick connects to the battery and it hangs out behind the battery box. I just tuck it behind the frame when not in use. Very convenient....
  10. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Thanks, Chuck & Vodoo. Guess I learn something new everyday. Sounds like a great plan.

Now that it's already 90 degrees in Phoenix, I'll wait until it turns really too cold to ride (you know, like 45 deg. F) to get one when I'm to much of a woss to ride.

Also, my bike is not permitted to get wet unless I'm washing it.

Thanks again for the input!:)
  11. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Battery

Contrary to all the sales pitches, there ain't no such thing as a "maintenance free" battery & I intentionally buy ones which are not sealed so I can add water when necessary.

Another thing is you have no idea how long the "fully charged" battery you buy has been sitting on the shelf or in a warehouse somewhere. I get Sportster batteries from the local NAPA store for $44.95 & that's not a concern 'cause they come in a box with a pre-mixed & measured plastic jug so you add the battery acid yourself & it doesn't matter how long the battery's been sitting.

You do have to charge it for 10 hours before you install it, but you know for a fact you've got a fresh battery when you do put it in. I typically get 3 years from one of those & I don't use a battery tender over the winter like I should. Some folks get 4 years from the same type battery & one guy I know of got 5 'cause they did use a tender.

Gel batteries, etc. @ over double the price I'm not interested in & bike batteries are small anyway - my riding mower takes the same battery as my Sportsters & when they get weak, it's time for a new one. No sense trying to revive one 'cause it won't work.
  12. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Yes they are sealed. Most people get 3 to 5 years on the stock battery with a little care. My '05 RKC has the stock battery, but a friend of mine replaces his battery every year in his EGC, so I had him bring me his 1 year old battery to me instead of recycling it. Now with a little charge now and then, I have a spare....
  13. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Almost everything used on the newer bikes these days are sealed.
    I use a battery tender (knock off) with the pig tail Chuck described on my RK. The stock Harley battery lasted three years. I figured you can't get much better than that so I replaced it with another one just like it. I know I could have probably got the same thing elsewhere without the HD logo cheaper, but when you need a battery, you need a battery. AL
  14. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Hell I don't let mine sit long enough to run down Ride Ride Ride:D rain or shine 33deg and up I even road in the Snow once I wont do that again
  15. chucktx

there ya go....all ya need to do is ride, even if it is just around the inside of the garage. maintainence free means just that.....nothing can be done to the battery by the regular person except keep it charged, that is why they call it that......no muss, no fuss...........................:)
  16. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I run the Odyssey dry cell battery. Totally sealed, no liquids, no gells. Designed like the dry cell batteries used in military vehicles.
  17. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

18. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

same bat since 02

i must be real lucky got the same battery since oct of 02. I figure this year I'll change it and not try to press any luck issues.
  19. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

With the exception of the dry cell a lot depends on your climate. Al
  20. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

I here that Al. My battery would be dead as a door nail here in the NE without a tender.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008