1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Battery Charger???

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RadarRunner56, Jan 18, 2010.

1. RadarRunner56

RadarRunner56 New Member

I have the H-D SuperSmart Battery Tender 12 volt 750 mAmp & just replaced the factory H-D battery that was in my Fatboy since Sept 2004. A note on the battery papers says not to use constant current chargers etc. In another section there is another note that says H-D Constant Monitorying Battery Chargers may be used to maintain battery charge for extended periods of time etc.

I was given to under stand it is OK to leave it connected without worry/concerns but now am not so sure.

Any opinions or personal experience???????????
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if the charger will maintain, and turn itself on and off as needed, there should be no problem....no personal experience. constant current chargers dont monitor battery voltage/amperage. they just push 12/14 volts all the time....like a quick charger, and they will damage any battery if left on for extended periods of time.......
  3. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

It's a constant monitoring not constant charge, you can leave it on full time no problem. It should have a light on it that should end up green when the battery is under maintenance mode and a good way to check it is to turn something on - lights etc it should go to yellow and then back green shortly after.
  4. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Trickle chargers work great for me. They shut down when no charge is needed. Don't worry, they're fine.
  5. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

Charger/Maintainers work great , I use them on bikes in the off season and the battery in my 96 Badboy is a 96:cool:
  6. RadarRunner56

RadarRunner56 New Member

Much Thanks to All! ! ! :D

With my luck I wanted to make sure I was not misunderstanding the material with the charger & battery. Thanks Again.