1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Battery Chargers & Maintainers

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Jan 8, 2013.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Went into a Batteries Plus this morning. Got my Odyssey 925LMJ battery there.
    I emailed Odyssey and asked them about charging batteries. They suggested that I only use their battery charger for maximum charging.
    He said Odyssey battery charger started out at like 40 to 50 volts and dropped at it is charging, while it sensed the battery voltage. He don't stock them because he don't sell many.
    But that is how you want to charge a battery. A lot of voltage at once then taper it back as it charges.
    Why not a car battery charger. You can use it. But you have to be careful, it will out out too much voltage too long and boil the battery dry and kill it, not to mention burning it up.

Talked with the main dude at Batteries Plus.
    I asked him about the schumaker motorcycle charger I have been using.
    He said that is really just a battery maintainer for a battery that is already charged. ON the output it only puts out like 1 amp. That is not enough to charge the battery. And if you use a car charger. You have to know good calulations or you will burn a motorcycle or smaller battery up.

MC-1:

[​IMG]

Asked him about a Battery tender Jr. He said its a excellent battery maintainer. But it also puts out like 1 amp. It ain't gonna charge a battery
    Battery TenderĀ® Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Motorcycle - Products - Batterytender.com

[​IMG]

Then I asked him about the Battery Tender Plus
    He said its a good battery maintainer. But it only puts out, 1.25 amp and goes into float mode like the battery tender JR which puts out not quiet a amp.
    [​IMG]

Asked him about the Battery Tender Plus 5 A
    He said this battery charger would put out enough amperage to charge the battery and go into float mode also and charge the battery.
    When it comes out of float mode it would put 5 amps on the battery can sense the voltage and taper off till it gets to like 13 volts and go back into float mode.

Waterproof Power Tender Plus 12V @ 5A - Motorcycle - Products - Batterytender.com

[​IMG]

I got the 5 amp Battery Tender Plus.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ride your bike often enough and ya wont need a charger..............
  3. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

I use my BT + in the Winter only once a week to maintain a good charge...
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

+1

I use a battery tender and switch off between 2 bikes and I take turns riding them in the winter. They usually only sit for a week maybe 2 when t is real cold. The newer bikes have so much electronic stuff on them you need to tend the battery even in the summer if they sit for very long.
  5. cardboard

A lot of the newer bikes has electronic stuff that draw off them. They have compters. more lights, radios, and we change things on them. WE put GPS units, radar decectors. and you name it.
    For that reason along with proper maintenance, The charger I posted will charge the battery and maintain it also.
    A battery tender jr is to maintain it. Not to charge it to a peak charge.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

They are right up the road from me,
    good stuff...
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Get your buttt off the couch CB and ride your bike at least once a week for an hour or more then you won't need one.
  8. cardboard

We suppose to git between 4-5 inchs of rain. Suppose to rain all day, tonite and tomorrow. Wind is suppose to be 40 mph or so.
    And huge chances of Tornadoes.
    You can bring yer candy A*s out and ride with Chucktx if you can git him out of the house.:gah:
    I rode to the woodlands this morning to the dermatologists to have things cut and burned off my body and head. Staying out of the rain. Which we been getting plenty off
    Mabe it didn't rain at Chucktx house.:roflmao:
  9. FLHTbiker

:wtf: Candy Ass:eek::roflmao: :roflmao:

I'm gonna post and new post showing the first two targets with the new XDS at 50 feet.
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

If yer battery got to be charged, your shortening the life of yer battery. A battery tender is all you should ever need (provided you use the thing). You use it you won't lose it, You don't use it, you'll lose it. Everytime your battery goes near dead or dead, you leave more eltrolyte in the bottom of the case. You can never get all of the stuff back into suspension by charging. Best thing for long battery life is to always plug the tender in.
  11. cardboard

Don't think you are reading all the post.
    People are putting more lights on their bikes. More electronics.
    Stronger radio amps more speakers.
    Like HRK said , if you run yer bike down the street and don't get the rpms up you don't charge yer battery.

REal hot and real cold weather is hard on yer battery.
    They need to be maintained.
    And they just ain't making batteries like they used to.
    The charger I posted charges all types of batteries

Waterproof Power Tender Plus 12V @ 5A - Motorcycle - Products - Batterytender.com
  12. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Not to be a smart azz but I think the rep meant 40-50 amp not volt. As you add accesories the charging system needs to handle the load. A battery is only a storage unit to start the bike and buffer the electric system like a shock dampens bumps in the road. A larger capacity battery gives us a fudge factor for higher compression and accesories but also a strain on charging systems to maintain voltage in a higher cca battery. A good battery will usually check at 12.1-12.25 after setting for a week or so if there is no draw on the system, a good battery tender should match the cca of the battery.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I jst use a battery tender works fine for me bike sat for 4-5 months with just the tender & still works fine a year later :cool:
  14. FLHTbiker

I just put a Battery Tender on the motor home, oh that's nota motorcycle can't talk about that,:D
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

oh that's nota motorcycle can't talk about that,
    shame on you :roflmao:, the battery tender works just fine about a year ago now I was down becaues of my knee for 4-5 months had a tender on both bikes all that time & both started right up & still have the same batteres in them now :D:cool:
  16. cardboard

Well I'm talkin to other folks that has them on and they just replaced their batteries.

I talked with a head dude that runs a Batteries Plus. Guess he works with batteries everyday.
    I'm gonna take his advise and do like he said.
    Which is there is a battery charger and there is a Battery Maintainer. Unless you one designed to do BOTh and it needs to put more than a couple amps in when you start it up.
  17. FLHTbiker

A battery tenders purpose simply keeps a fully charged battery charged. When a battery is at full charge a tender will float not charging and when it drops a slight bit it then will charge. It's a very small amp charge that it uses. It is not meant to be a full charger just a maintainer. I keep one on the wife's bike and my Springer as those two are not rode as much as my Ultra which I do not keep a battery tender on.
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

:wtf: Bonjour, If what CB says isn't true it wouldn't be on the Internet, :)
  19. FLHTbiker

Dang it's snowing hard at my place right now. Was going to ride to the dentist office this morning guess I better put a battery tender on the Ultra. :D
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

or chains on the tires...:roflmao: