1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Be careful out there

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by AZroaddust, Feb 1, 2008.

1. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Nary a day goes by without hearing about a cager nailing a biker in Phoenix. I'm sharing this particular one because it might have more shock value to remind us all to be careful, drive defensively, and don't have that extra beer on Superbowl Sunday!! ENJOY your weekend and get home safely-------------------

Man dies when motorcycle slams into back of SUV
    Associated Press
    Feb. 1, 2008 09:49 AM

TUCSON- Sheriff's officials say a motorcyclist died in a fiery crash on Tucson's north side early Friday after slamming into the back of a sport utility vehicle.

Pima County deputy Dawn Hanke says the rider was speeding at about 1:30 a.m. when he slammed into the back of a Nissan and his motorcycle exploded. He was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was so badly burned that identification will be delayed.

Deputies believe he is a 23-year-old man. Hanke says the woman driving the SUV wasn't hurt.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

man, that sucks.....yup, got to be careful. especially at nite!!!! some lights blend into others and you dont realize it until too late!!!:(
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Had one in Houston last week the biker ran into the back of a car on the freeway estimated speed about 150 mph only had the bike two day was weaing helmet the news folk's called him a biker because he was riding a motercycle It was a new sportbike
  4. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

150 mph? Yikes! That's just crazy in a non controlled environment. Still sorry to hear about it. Every one of these posts does help to remind me to be careful, not afraid, just careful. I'm so often watching for what's behind, it's a good reminder that weird things can happen right in front of you.
  5. fireitup

fireitup New Member

keeping careful

You know every time someone sees that I ride I always have to hear a terrible how my friend got killed on a motorcycle story. Needless to say they are reinforcements to be careful. As far as I'm concerned when I'm riding every car:mad: is going to pull out on me. Knock me off the road etc. I take no chance for trust when I ride. They don't see you. I watch the speed carry golf balls in my pocket and Just trust myself.
  6. chucktx

if you will change out the golf balls to clear marbles, there will be no evidence of the damage as the marbles will disinigrate, whereas the golf balls will retain recoverable evidence...................................so i have heard.....and will do just as much damage.......:)
  7. fireitup

fireitup New Member

thats a good idea

That's a good idea Chuck. Thanks. Because I'm so fed up with the tailgaters. And guys that pass me in my lane. Even the bikers that do that. Although I would't pitch anything at them. Only this year I'm using backup for the road jerks in four wheels. :D
  8. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

So you've heard.......huh? :roflmao:
  9. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

like the marbles

golfballs take up room for me...never thought about the evidence aspect,good call, but don't forget rocks. good ol' along side the road rocks. Lime rock from the driveway about the size of a walnut splatters real good too. And they do kickup every now and then off the road.:cool: I also suggest a quick off ramp nearby just in case they get the rock and not the picture and get even closer.:rolleyes: but that is another another story.;)
  10. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I still think there is nothing like the trusty ballpeen hammer to get the point across then there is no mistake of the message.:cussing: course the problem is then beside you now not behind you.so be quick
  11. fujimo

fujimo New Member

fujimo

we travel with a pocketful of inch and one half roofing nails,,,carry a sack in my bag pops
  12. fireitup

fireitup New Member

Hand in pocket

What really gets me nervous when I'm riding are the tail gaters. They make me real mad too. As there is no reason for it. They make me mad when I'm in my vehicle driving. Only on the bike usually when they see me turn around and look at them and then see my hand going into my pocket they back off. I prefer it that way. Rather than the other only I have gotten to the point to where its me or them and it isn't going to be me. fireitup
  13. chucktx

i love your attitude fireitup!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  14. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I don't like the nail idea. It works sure, but some of those nails may end up in other bikers' tires. A simple hand gesture along with an irritable look or even a well placed remark USUALLY works well enough for me. Then a "discussion" at the next stop light, if there is one, may be in order too.
  15. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

how many marbels do you release at once:confused::confused: love this idea:devil:
  16. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I would start with as many as you can fit in the palm of your hand then go from there.
  17. chucktx

if you remember playing marbles in the younger days....take one and put it on your thumb and first finger crocked to hold it, then fling it with your thumb up and back.....the forward motion of the vehicle behind you will nail it....subtle movement is what you want.....that way there are no "witnesses".......at least that is what my resorces tell me!!!!!!!!;)
  18. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

nails and hammers

Dude, nails? wow..... not for me...the hammer is something that you can legally carry on your person, that is a trademark choice to a certain goup of fellas. Mini-Tire checkers, are cool but what the heck would I need one of those for on a bike?:D harder to explain and also a felony if ya hit someone with either. I like the marbles gonna take a few out next time but hopefully will not need anything most of the time like MaxP stated a hand gesture then they might back off. If they don't it is rock time or get over and let em' by. depends on my mood and who I may riding with. Last year I only kicked two car doors in town,one that merged right on top of me and they knew I was there! and the other actually stopped in the road and started backing up into the intersection. Wow that sucked. ok so maybe there was a lady in a Mecerdes on a cell not looking and she got a grill shot and a finger. I understand people are not perfect and things happen so I tend not to go off everytime I am not seen, heck people don't see cars coming at them. Who has not almost done that, but cells and driving get me worked a bit and simply tailgating a bike is not cool at anytime.JMO:fight: :cool:
  19. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Well Can't You People In Az,and Tx Just Pack A Gun? Seeing A Gun On Your Hip Should Be A Good Deterent. That Is For Those Who Still Have That Right To Do So. Which Still Should Be Given Back After Paying Your Det Back To Society. At Least From My Point Of View. If It Was A Non Violent Chrime. Sounds Like A Go For A New Topic Of Discussion.
  20. fujimo

fujimo New Member

nails,,,guns

first off,,, i do not care who else gets flat tire,,,or who wrecks,,,jerk too close behind,,,going to get nails,,,, second on guns,,,when you are arrested,,,not been to court ,,, in wash,,,and oregon,,, for an alleged stalking or multitued of other offenses,,,, the county mounties will come for your concealed weapons permit,,,, AND after you have been dissmissed or found not guilty it will cost you 75 dollars to get back,,, and the damn permit is not recognized in any other state,,,so if you leave your state,,,best leave your gun,,,,i do have permit in both states,,,and have lost them at one time or more in both,,,,