1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Be like Switzerland and find Neutral

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Devolution, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Hi All, I am having trouble finding neutral when I pull up to a traffic light. This seems to happen more so after the bike is warmed up. When I am working on the bike and it is on it's center Display Stand I will usually shift into first gear to keep it from falling over. Finding neutral is easy at that point. The tranny fluid level is good and fuild is clean. The bike shifts fine other wise and the clutch seems fine. Any ideas? My bike is a 95 Roadking with 32K on the odometer.
    I appreciate the help.
    -Devolution.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

So if the bike is turned off, N is easy to find,
    I would suspect the primary chain is out of adjustment.

Also during those mid to late 90's HD had a spring pressure plate in the center of the clutch pack, those springs would go and make it difficult to adjust the clutch but my bet would be you need to adjust the primary chain
  3. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

My 2003 Sporty has a quirky neutral also. I can be riding for twenty minutes and all of a sudden, neutral's hard to find. Five minutes later, no problem again. Sometimes it happens after I make a slightly awkward shift. Harley's done the stage 1 upgrade. Two of their tech's rode it and another 30 year riding vet as well, they all said it was fine. Who knows? I plan to change to Amsoil either in July or November, depending on how it runs during really hot weather. I recall that some find neutral easier after changing to synthetics.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i also think the chain is a bit loose.........:)
  5. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Thanks HotRoadking, Hellboy,and ChuckTx, Sound like the primary chain is the first place to start. It's about time that I learn how to adjust the chain. I've only had the bike for a few month and have been taking care of other issues (CHP inspection, DMV registration). Is it possible to run an open belted primary on an Evo Roadking? I like the idea of not having to adjust and oil in the primary, oh yeah, and the cool factor.

Thanks again-Devolution.
  6. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

If You Don't Have A Book There Was A Post Not To Long Ago That Linked You To Videos Of Step By Step Maintiance. And One Of Them Was Primary Adjustment. Don't Recall The Link But I'm Sure Someone Else Does.
  7. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Hi all, thanks for everyone's responses. I bought the bike as a salvage back in December because I wanted a low buck rider for my first HD. Most of the work has been cosmetic and no major work needed, but I really don't know the history of the bike and my last bike was a Vulcan 1600. I checked the primary chain and it seemed to be in spects according to the HD service manual. Even though the primary oil was clean, I decided to change the fluid with HD Formula Plus for Transmissionand Primary. What a difference that simple change made, finding nuetral now is almost as easy as the Vulcan was.
    Oh yes, and in process I spilled a quart of old primary oil on my patio, well it's off to the store to buy some more kitty litter.
    Thanks again, Devolution.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very happy you are getting it like you want!!!! have fun withit!!!!!!!!!:)