1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Beating a Dead Horse

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by MarcM, Oct 16, 2004.

1. MarcM

MarcM New Member

Hope I am not beating a dead horse, but I did not find an answer to my specific question. I have a bone stock 05 FXDLi that I have had for a month. I am looking to put V&H Pro Pipe HS pipes on along with the SE Stage 1. Has anyone had any problems or complaints with the Pro Pipes? The second choice for pipes is V&H Straitshots. Thanks
  2. godot

godot New Member

Just installed the Pro pipes and I really like them, specially performance wise.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

V&H makes a great product, the propipe is a great pipe, makes good power, you will need to get the race tuner on the bike and setup a new map for the new combination,

I have heard that the race tuner and powercommanders will not work on the 05's yet, the DFO might but I'm not sure.
  4. MarcM

MarcM New Member

Good to hear it, Godot.

HotRoadKing, will the regular re-programing that the dealership has to do work instead of spending more scratch for an after market chip/re-programer?
  5. hotroadking

It all depends on what you want to do in the future

If you think you'll do heads, big bore, pistons, cams then the Race tuner is probably the best buy.

If this is all you'll do, then a stage 1 flash and maybe a dfo to fine tune the fuel curve is a great option

In the middle is the powercommander however the rumor is that the powercommander isn't ready for the 05 as they changed the electronics on the 05's I have also heard the race tuner isn't ready yet, so you'd be stuck doing a stage 1 flash and a dfo.

For pipes and a air filter only the stage1 flash and the DFO is probably all you'll need. Be sure the DFO will work on the 05 first. www.techlusion.com is the manufacturer no matter who's label is on the box, Kuryakyn, Harley etc.

Directparts.com here may have them in stock.
  6. CD

CD Guest

Hmm, odd....

If the Power Commanders will not work on the '05, Dyno Jet or DP would be shocked to hear that! Dyno Jet says to use the '04 maps and '05 maps will follow. There were no electronics changes to Dyno Jets knowledge and we have sold a couple of hundred units for '05 models ourselves.

So far this year we have heard the following "fibs" told to customers by illustrious dealers.

"The '05 electronics are different and nothing will work except the Race Tuner"
    "The RK custom uses different muffler mounts so only SE mufflers will work"
    "The Softail Classic uses different frame mounts so you can only use SE exhaust"

And the very best one:
    "The '05 heads have new exhaust ports so only 'special' SE headers and exhaust can be used"
  7. MarcM

MarcM New Member

I heard the "you need to use a race tuner" from the dealer I bought the bike from. I thought it was odd so I called another dealer and they said the other guy fed me a line of B.S. I am guessing they must get a lot of people that do not question what they tell them and just shell out the cash. This dealer had the best price on the bike, but since they had no problem lying to me about what would HAVE to be done to the bike if I wanted to change the pipes, I decided to go elsewhere for service. Who knows what else they would lie about. They lost my business.

Another thing I noticed is how HD will sqeeze your wallet where ever they can. I want to put saddlebags on my bike. The bags I like are alone around 800 bones. Ofcourse, I can not put them on unless I move my rear blinkers. Seems to me HD could have mounted the signals further back on the strut so they would not have to be moved. Since I do not want to move the signals, I will have to settle for a T-Bag Switchback for weekend trips.
  8. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Another thing I noticed is how HD will sqeeze your wallet where ever they can. I want to put saddlebags on my bike. The bags I like are alone around 800 bones. Ofcourse, I can not put them on unless I move my rear blinkers. Seems to me HD could have mounted the signals further back on the strut so they would not have to be moved. Since I do not want to move the signals, I will have to settle for a T-Bag Switchback for weekend trips.[/QUOTE]

Hey mark-
    Just a thought...but do you think you could get the saddlebags to mount if you went with one of those real small lazer light turn signals? That way you could keep the location and your blinkers would kinda be hidden until you lit them up? Might be worth looking into at the least.
  9. MarcM

MarcM New Member

I will have to call the bag maker and ask. I dont think it will work, since they say specifically that you need to move the blinkers. Ofcourse, it could be that they also sell the blinker move kits.....thx Seahag.

I kind of have decided to just get a T-Bag Switchback. It mounts cleanly on the handlebars and is easy to remove. The longest trips I am able to take are only 2 or 3 days, so I can get by w/o saddlebags for now.
  10. Dyna Dean

Dyna Dean New Member

just east of SF, tucked into the East Bay hills...
    I just talked to a guy Saturday regarding the Pro Pipe HS on his new Softail Std... As I was admiring them, I noticed he'd scraped the billet end cone on the asphalt while taking a turn--he said he did that the first week, but still really loves the sound! I also have a new Low Rider and was contemplating the HS until I saw his pipe-- the FXDL is lower and you're more likely to have this happen. If you do go with teh HS, I'd make sure you have the rear shocks tweaked all the way up and be really careful in the twisties--especially when carrying a passenger. I'm now looking at the Big Shots Staggered...
  11. hotroadking

CD good to hear the PC USB is functional, the last I had heard was there was some issues, this was not from dealers but other techs on other boards that had some issues, they had also heard that when the 05's hit the floor the race tuner wasn't released with the upgrades for the new bikes.

Hope I wasnt "spreading the HD rumor" mill too much LOL

First week out with my long shots I scraped the bottom, no body rides down there anyway so no big deal LOL

I like to get the bike leaned over so I"m always scraping something in the corners.
  12. MarcM

MarcM New Member

I finally got around to getting my pipes. I did settle on the V&H Pro Pipe HS (from Direct Parts) and I am not disappointed! It looks great, sounds better, and seems a little quicker in the acceleration department. My bike finally sounds like it should.