1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Befuddling Manual Choke Problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

My '99 TC88 FLHR stock 40 mm carb has the manual choke and it is driving me nuts. Sometimes it will stay out while warming up with no problem, and other times it acts like it is spring-loaded to stay off. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!?!?!?

I have turned the friggin' ring around it to tighten it, but it acts no different. I get around it by holding the ^%$# thing out when necessary, but sometimes going through icy 8000 ft elevations it ain't easy. That is when I wished I'd got fuel injection. Any ideas?
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Because the tension ring/thumb screw is plastic it can become worn inside, and once it does forget about keeping it in the pulled (choke) position.

Just curious, but if you are having to use your choke (technically called an enrichener) while riding then you may need to rejet. Since higher elevations make your carb run richer, I would think you wouldn't want to pull the choke out while riding for that long. A properly tuned CV carb shouldn't need the choke for more than a few minutes.

Anyway, if your enrichener is worn out let me know. I have a couple extra in my shop and I'll send you one if you pay for the shipping.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what ken said....lol
    have fun, and welcome!!
  4. kenfuzed

What, you are gonna send him a replacement choke cable too? How nice of you Chuck! :roflmao:
  5. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

ok, fella's

making out my wish list, gets in line takes a #
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

well, i guess i gotta now!!! stepped into that one!!!!:) plus it is in writing.....good thing ya didnt offer to go install it for him!!!!!!:roflmao:
  7. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I was hoping to add some super trapp pipes on my list Chuck!! Are you saying that it isn't an open invite??!! :roflmao: by the way, have you ordered those yet? Let me know when you do/install them....want to know how they sound and perform!
  8. kenfuzed

Well, actually, I kinda did. Figured you were up for a road trip :D
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Rejetting, etc..

I do need to rejet, as the bike is basically jetted for sea level. Plus I've changed pipes again and haven't rejetted for this set. Got a Laughlin run to make Monday, almost 500 miler one-way, need to get off my duff and get Ol' Red more road ready.

I appreciate the offer on the cable....I'll get back to you on that, but since I am headed to Reno today I should get one there as I need it now.
    Your offer inspired me to check out your site, http://www.harley-performance.com/. Just got a brief look, but will be going back ASAP for some study. :cheers: