1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Belt Tension Tool

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 29, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Does anyone here own a belt tension tool from Harley? If so, what do you think of it? The reason I an asking is that I think that my belt tension is a little too tight and am looking at changing the belt and of course adjusting it to proper specification. All input is welcome..

Thanks...
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Does the belt have any cuts or nicks in it. How old is it.
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

if all is good I'd leave it alone, tinker with something else, like HR"s ride. Most belts are to loose a proper set belt feels real tight, I mean real tight. and ya need to adjust it at the tightest spot.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Yep, I got one. Used it once. Now I check tension without it. More trouble on my bike than it's worth.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I haven't put it up on the jack to check the whole belt but the exposed area looks free of nicks. I am not sure how old it is but I have never changed it. I had HR stand it up and then I checked the tension just by hand and with it standing up it felt whee it should be.

FatBoy, why is it too much trouble, can you be more specific?
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I have a leather tool bag and saddlebags on the Fatty. Between them and the belt guards and sitting on the sucker and finding the tight spot of the pulleys, it's a bitch. So, the tool applies 10 pounds of pressure to the top length of belt (the part going TO the primary) and you look for the specified deflection. Once you do it, you can feel the 10 pounds with out the tool. I then did the "feel" test with the bike on the lift and looked for the results that way. Now I do it on the side stand as per the results I had the first go around. You could actually use a small plunger type scale. Probably find one in a tool catalog. Further, The freaking belt doesn't get loose between tire replacements! I get about 7-8,000 miles on rear tires and the belt has never required an adjustment before tire change.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Thanks,m I think that I am going to leave it alone. It doesn't seem that bad to do with my Sportster, but I am pretty sure that the tension is ok now that I stood the bike up to check it. I just thought that the tool looked really handy, it is only $30, thought it might be a good investment.:)
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a waste of money.........better spent on "hot one"!!!!!!!!:)
  9. FLHTbiker

Yep, probably don't need a belt spend the money on something else.
  10. JohnnyBiker

I would have to say thank you for this advise. I did spend some money on a different specialty tool however. I purchased a 3/8" drive 35mm socket specifically designed for my fork fill caps. I bought a different socket and for some reason I thought it was correct. It isn't..:witsend: I didn't like the though of just using a huge crescent wrench to pop those off so I decided to go this rout. The tool is from JIMS, I trust them... Just waiting for it to show up.
  11. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

dont forget that belt is gonna change tension when your ass is on the bike . not your wifes . as the swing arm moves up that belt tension will change!!!
  12. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Proper tension is important in regards to belt wear. Better to be a little tight than loose, too loose creates a lot of friction and heat, which results in accelerated wear. These belts are pretty durable and will last the life of the bike if proper tension is maintained. Friend of mine has an 01' Heritage and just returned from a trip through Tennesse and Kentucky. He just turned 171,000 miles on it, and is still running the original belt.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Part of the problem is that I didn't have the bike standing up when I was checking it. Once I stood it up then it was fine. But I do think that I want one to add to the tool box anyways. Not sure. :D
  14. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I like the Belt tensioning tool, see a lot of guys that build bikes using it.

You can git the belt too tight and also git it too loose.

If yer bike has never had the rear wheel loose. Take a sharpie and mark where it presently sits now on the cam washer to the stop , and look on the side to see how much play it has.
    Mabe this might give you some insite.
  15. FLHTbiker

Not sure he has the cams on his bike like the newer bikes do.
  16. Kettwo

Kettwo Member

I read on a forum somewhere that if you grip the belt and twist with good force and get it to twist only 45 degrees its good. Twist 180 degrees and it's too loose.
  17. JohnnyBiker

I have never heard that before. Thanks for the tip. Hey are you in Vancouver B.C.?
  18. Kettwo

Kettwo Member

Not in Vancouver. Am on Vancouver Island in the Comox Valley.
  19. JohnnyBiker

OH Ok, welcome to the site by the way. :D
  20. FLHTbiker

I've rode Vancouver Island as far as I could, very beautiful and a great ride, welcome.