1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Best Ride You Have Owned.

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jul 30, 2006.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I thought that maybe its time for something new. Just simply the best ride you have owned and why.
    For me after getting off of my 05 Heritage Springer Classic today I gotta say that I just love that bike. The bike is no canyon carver but then that's not what I'm after. It looks great, handles well feels good, sounds good. Gets 50 MPG even over 3000 RPMs. Its just a pleasure to ride. :)

I've never really felt that way about any other bike and when they first came out with them I knew I wanted one. No regrets, the bike is a great ride.

Attached Files:

2. scooter

scooter New Member

Well, mine is easy.

It's my first Harley after 10+ years of ridin'. Nuff said?

:D
  3. Goose

Goose New Member

I'd be hard pressed to name a best, have so many favorites. I can name a worst, though, but I don't wanna PO Kevin again. :D
  4. CD

CD Guest

Jeez Marc, where to start? Should've narrowed it down some first.....

Favorite MX bike? '83 Honda CR480 Favorite MX bike in gnarly slop? '78 Maico 450. Favorite desert bike? Kawasaki 450 with KX450 (MX) top end and custom pipe.
    Favorite fun bike? Same Kwakker with a license plate. Whoeeee! fun to ride and manuever.
    Favorite H-D? Every FXR I've owned...even over my RK. The FXR is easily the best handling Big Twin H-D ever produced.
    Thank you Eric Buell.
  5. Goose

Goose New Member

Well, that's my problem, too many categories for one bike to fill. But, even for street bike, touring bike, or what not, I can only think of ONE bike I didn't like, was a total POS, the definition of JUNK, sorry, no good........:mad: The rest of 'em were GREAT!:D
  6. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Too Easy!

This is too easy to answer....as I am only able to own one bike at a time due to space, money and wife....my favorite bike is the one I CURRENTLY have! back in the early 90's, was a kaw Ninja 600r, then had a couple favoriate Honda CB 750's...(one was a 79, one was an 80), Then I had a favorite Honda Shadow Sabre 1100....2000 model year, had to sell that due to PCS logistics to Germany, now my favorite is the HD E Glide Standard that I have! Have liked all the bikes, each had things that could have been better, but could have been worse also. All in all, the Ninja was fun for preformance. 1100 Sabre was fun for pick up/top end on a cruiser, and the HD is the best for after market goodies that are making my bank account dry up faster then ever!!! :eek: :rolleyes:
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

This is not a joke!

The best bike I ever had was the one I got as a wee lad. We weren't exactly rich growing up (friggin broke livin in a slum) in south San Francisco, with my Dad working graveyard at the airport and my Mom struggling with 4 monster rugrats. One day I come home from school and there, in the living room/dining room/den/bedroom is a brand new banana seat Stingray bike for us all. Still get chills thinking of it.

If it has to be a motorcycle, then it has to be my current ride, Ol' Red. A 1999 Road King - from the last century, hence the Ol'. Yeah, she's carbed when EFI is better, and she nearly killed me on the Haunted Highway (if you don't know it, it's too long a story for now), but I love her and she loves me - at least better than my first wife, but probably not as good as my now 20-year bride. Got her new seats, a shiny new horn, lots of chrome doodads (I think she likes jewelry more than my wife does) and tweaked her engine a tad to get us there and back again. Ever seen the movie "Serenity"? At the end the hero talks about what it takes to fly a spaceship, same goes for riding a bike. Love will keep you going when all else says you should be road rash. Love to ride, love your ride.

Believe it or don't. But I do.

Keep shiney! :cool:

P.S. - Yes, I am Irish, and Jameson's is darn fine tonight!
  8. SK

SK New Member

Hey..mine's never caught fire. And I can still use it to mix paint with. The XS650 will let you know you have kidneys.
  9. SK

SK New Member

Hard to choose. I had a '76 Montessa 250 (trials) in Panama in '82. I was one of the few my Army barracks who had a cage and a bike. Riding in the jungle was a blast. I had a favorite place near a waterfall where I'd watch the bats feed at sunset..dancing in the sky..partaking in what Panama grows best (not bananas). Loved that low 1st gear that would crawl over logs and whatever.

I put almost 100,000 miles on my Royal Star that allowed me to see the West like I've never seen before.

My FJR tours, handles and accellerates like no bike I've ever owned..gonna circle the US on it next Summer (w/my dachshund) after I graduate.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  10. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Well, when you tour the USA, let me know when you are in the San Antonio area....I'll give you a tour of the Air Force NICU down here!
  11. Goose

Goose New Member

Thinking about it, one bike stands out above all the rest I've owned as doing more jobs well than any other. It hauled the sidecare better than any liter bike I've ever owned. It got 50 mpg. It would run 125 mph, not THAT impressive, but plenty adequate in a 70 mph world and it'd cruise nearly that fast, on rare occasion you understand. :D It was very long distance comfortable. It handled fairly well until the last 9/10s when it had a bad under-steer, but for most anything I'd do on a public road, it was adequate handling. I didn't like the odd front wheel size, 18", but hey, can't have everything. It had MASSIVE low end torque. Downshifting was optional and really didn't gain that much. It was shaft driven, no drive belts or chains. It was a Suzuki VX800, 91 model. It never had a problem, didn't vibrate (counter-rotating balance shaft), though it was a 45 degree V twin engine. It had a sweet Triumph Bonneville type exhaust note that I loved.

That bike was an awesome ride and I miss it now and then. Maybe I should just look for a good used one. The one thing I didn't like was the lack of aftermarket for the bike. It wasn't a popular seller and the model only lasted in America for 3 model years, though it sold well in Europe. At the time, '88-91, nothing sold, but cruisers or full on faired sport bikes. This bike was a plain standard with the heart of a Suzuki 800 Intruder. Odd combination, but it sure worked. I loved riding that thing even with the front end push. :D
  12. SK

SK New Member

If you're not in Iraq..I certainly will. I've got relatives outside Houston I'll probably visit, along with hopefully stopping by to see Goose on the coast. If I could do it all over again, I'd have become a nurse in the military over 20 years ago, but hindsight is.........

I've met many riders off the internet and the majority have been great experiences.
  13. SK

SK New Member

Goose, wasn't that the bike you rode to Sturgis back in '98?
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

This really makes you think back about all the bikes you have owned, which ones you like and why. I to remember that Christmas morning as a very young boy, I came out into the living room and saw that brand new 10-speed bike. I put years of seat time on her and many miles. I wished I still had every motorcycle I have ever owned except one. My first bike at age 14 was a 50CC Yamagushie (probably mispelled) was glad to get a 125 Yamaha. Gee, I thought I was on a big bike then.
    My Softail Heritage Springer just does something to me everytime I get on it. Have not felt that way about a bike in a long time. Love it, oh yea probably do. :)
  15. Goose

Goose New Member

Yeah, I rode it to Sturgis and out to Laughlin. It weren't nothin' special to look at, but it did everything well. Took my daughter out to Daytona with the sidecar attached, too. Lots of good memories on that bike.
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

the 00 Heritage I have now,

Traded a 97 for a 99 RK both were good, but the 00 has been in the stable for 6 years now, with all the bling and motor work it won't leave,

Have to get a second bike at some point LOL
  17. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

I paid $50.00 for a Z 50 that had carb problems (rusty tank) when I was 10. Man I loved that little bike. Had to carry a piece of screen door wire with me everywhere to clean the jets when they clogged. Got to where I could get her running again in less than 5 minutes. Rode it till I was 12 and got an XR75. It sat in the corner of the garage till I went in the Nav. Sure wish I knew what happened to that little dude. It disappeared while I was in the service.
  18. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

My favorite ride is my current ride. Been loyal to me for many a year. My '96 Heritage Softail Classic... Luv it...:)
  19. MODCOBRA

MODCOBRA New Member

I thought it was my 86 wide glide until I got my current Nite Rod. I am amazed at how nice this bike really is. I get some funny looks from some of my ole school Harley boys.......but at 57 years old...........who cares??? :D

Ben
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Like CD I'm partial to FXR's. I liked mine a lot but I think the present Electra Glide I have is a good bike..touch wood but it hauls a trailer two up and no fuss no muss. My FXR was faster and more fun but Chuggy just goes and goes