1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Big city thunder baffles

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Jun 30, 2007.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Some one here , suggested I try Big city thunder baffles , they said they had them in there SE slip on's , who was it & are any of them on A sporty?
    :cool:
  2. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey Cowboy...read the post "Baffles vs Power Cones" dated June 11th.
  3. cowboy

Thank's ringo
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Here's the link...
    [PAGE="http://bike-talk.com/forum/motorcycle-tech-talk/3406-baffle-vs-power-cones.html?highlight=Baffles+vs+Power+Cones"]Baffles vs Power Cones[/PAGE]
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

BCT sounds like the way to go. I just have one question about the sound. Those that have them say the sound is good. What level of sound do they produce. I just ordered the V&H true duals for my Heritage. Should have them this week. They have 1 3/4" headers and 2" slip-ons.

I'm looking for a deep throaty sound. Don't want anything obnoxiously loud, but don't want it to quiet either.
  6. cowboy

ringo, I have the V&H true dules with hollowed out SE slip on's on my E Glide , it has a real good sound , & I can still here my radio , i was out riding with some friends last week all had dresser's & all ask me where i got my pipes , I told them at first there where stright , one of them even took his flash light & look , then I told them about the BCT baffles, I asked if any one here had them in a set of SE slip on a sporty , because I want to build a set for my Daughter 's sporty
  7. kenfuzed

I've had a set installed in my Mean Mother straight pipes and personally think they are borderline too loud. They don't sound all that loud on the bike but from behind I'm told they are very loud. Riding through residential neighborhoods leaves a path of whaling car alarms even while mildly opening the throttle. The up side is they are extremely deep and throaty and don't get raspy at full throttle like open drag pipes do.
  8. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I have the BCT baffles in my S/E double barrel pipes, (see my gallery to see what they look like), and they are very deep and throaty. They are not quiet though, I do set off an occasional car alarm, but usually on purpose....:rolleyes: :D
  9. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Thanks for all the info guys, the reason I asked is that I am currently running Samson Bigguns2 short slashers with a 10" baffle. I too set off car alarms. The reason I'm going to the true duals is to get the noise behind me instead of on the side just below the passenger floorboard. It gets a little anoying after a while. :angry:
  10. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Saw picture of these in a bike mag. Do they really make a difference? Kinda reminds me of the old home made bolt and washer baffle.:confused:
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the old bolt and washer DOES make a difference.....tried and true for many years.....
  12. cowboy

I,am sure the extra pipe , does a little bit as well I had the nut/bolt & washer in some drag pipes on my Shovel , & these BCT's sound a bit different , I know the pipe size also makes a big difference ,
  13. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

OK...I'm convinced. Thanks for the insight.:D
  14. kenfuzed

They are actually a commercialized take on a DIY baffle many of us used to put in drag pipes years ago. The design is actually quite simple. The body is an exhaust pipe slip coupler which narrows toward the center, sort of like an hour glass. The shape creates a venturi which enhances velocity for scavenging. The washer suspended at one end then disrupts the pulse from returning back up the head pipe. Other variations have included using pieces of tubing instead of a washer.
  15. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

HEY GUYS, MIGHT HAVE BEEN ME THAT TOLD U ABOUT THE BCT BAFFELS, I HAVE BEEN RUNNING THEM FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW IN MY LOW RIDER WITH V&H BIG RADIUS PIPES, MADE DYNO RUNS BEFORE AND AFTER HP & TORQUE CAME UP WITH THEM INSTALLED, TWO OTHER GUYS THAT I RIDE WITH INSTALLED THEM AS WELL, EVERYONE VERY PLEASED WITH THEM, I'M THINK I AM GOING TO PUT V&H BIG SHOTS ON MY SE ROAD KING AND THEY WILL HAVE THE BCT AS WELL

DKIN

LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD:cheers: :rocket_bike:
  16. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey DKIN, how much gain in torque and HP did you see after installing the BCT baffle?
  17. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

Ringo, If I Remember Right Seems Like About 6 Hp And 8-10 On The Torque, Tell U Something Else To Keep In Mind, From The Rear Of The Pipe The More U Put Them Toward The Front The Deeper The Sound And According To Bct The Better The Performance.
  18. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I notice they have a washer on a post inside of them that is positoned closer to one end of the baffle. Does it matter which direction this is positioned? Should it go towards the front or rear of the bike?
  19. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

RINGO, TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION THE POST WITH WASHER GOES TOWARD THE BACK OF THE BIKE

DKIN:rocket_bike:
  20. cowboy

I got the set that goes into the header pipe , washer to the back , I seem to have gained about 6-8 HP , & TQ Is just great, , I was out yesterday ,Had my 10 year old Grand son on the back, had to get around Some real slow Cars (30 in a 60 ) ,, hit it from 3trd to 4 th Hard & it felt like the front wheel came up a bit