1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Big F ing Bug

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by bdfin, Sep 15, 2007.

1. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Man I took one yesterday between the eyebrows felt like a damn rock. We have some decent ones up here in the Northwest but it isn't really too bad.Some of you guys must have bigger. Anybody nearly went down from a hit ? Almost made me move the windshield up to the top spot on the next to buy list. Must have been a big dragon fly or something. Saw it coming at the last instant......but too late. OUCH ! Had to stop and scrape the guts off.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

june bugs.....they are as hard as a rock. really, hard to squish, very hard shell. hit ya in the chest at 70....nearly take ya off the bike!!!!.....man i love my full fairing!!!!!!!
  3. bdfin

bdfin New Member

I would suspect that it is a "must have" option for riding at freeway speeds for some of you guys in the southern regions.
  4. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

<<<<<has a t-shirt that says windsheilds are for wussies........
    shows a guy on a bike with bugs all over his face.....
    i like my full fairing too, but bar hopping.....i like to use the sporty with no windsheild......

TRG
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I've hit some big ones. I find riding by farms in Vermont not only smells bad, but you get plastered with bugs. I got hit by that bird in Wyoming, but it was more like getting punched in the stomach. It didn't hurt so much as freak me out that there was a live bird flying around in my lap. Freaked the bird out too. One time I thought I'd been hit by a really big bug in my eye. When I stopped to clean it off I realized it was bird crap. The ex thought it was hilarious. I'm just glad it hit on my sunglasses and not on my mouth.
  6. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

My worst one was in Az. We were cruising down the Baseline Hiway and one of those big hairy bumble bees hit me on the hi point of the cheek bone and some how managed to get inside the goggles I was wearing. Next thing I new he was buzzing around inside the goggle lens. The OL didn't know what was going on with me pulling on the goggles and shaking my head. Miraculously I didn't get stung and kept the bike up. AL
  7. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Last summer, I was riding a back country road all stretched out on my highway pegs. Something went up my pants leg and started crawling up my leg higher and higher. It was up on my thigh by the time I got it stopped. I was in the middle of the road with no where to pull off to drop my pants. I just felt around until I found it through my pants and squeezed it until it stopped moving. I don't know where it was going but it seemed to have a plan in mind.:eek:
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

SlimJim's reminded me of a bee sting I got at the beginning of this season. It didn't go up my pants, but made a bee-line (ha-ha) for my, uh, yeah, that place. Ouch. I was trying to beat a big black rain cloud and didn't want to stop, but I don't know how standing on the side of the road grabbing at my crotch was going to be any better than riding my motorcycle and doing the same.
  9. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Ah... I knew the horror stories would come out. Bee in the goggles, bugs up the crotch. Mind over matter to keep that thing up on both wheels when panic sets in.
    Freakin insects!
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Bugs? No bugs in NV!

OK, I did take a dragonfly to the face last year - windshield off during a springtime high speed run. Hurt like a mule-kick at 95 mph, and the mess was pretty digusting. Memorable for it's rarity in the high desert - must have been a pond nearby.

Here our biggest bugs are crawlers. Mormon cricket hordes can make the highways slick with their millions of crushed bodies, and the tarantula migrations are downright creepy - though I try to avoid riding through them, as I can't help but like the fuzzy critters. If they got wings, I'd probably feel a LOT different about 'em!
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ok, many years ago....ridding a bobber, i think it was a shovelhead, anyway, was wearing these pilot style goggles, was passing a school bus and some kid threw a sweetpotato out the window and it nailed me right in the head.....got to the side of the road, cleaned my self up.....was glad that is was cooked..............and i have never liked sweet potatoes!!!!:angry:
  12. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

Years ago I had a big ol bumble bee come around the windsheild on my FXRT and hit me right between the eyes. Just about knocked me off the bike.
  13. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Biggest bug that hit me in the face?

My wife.
  14. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

i still have a large cut on my ear, from turning my head sideways,trying to dodge a dragon fly at 70 mph........ouch

maybe a windsheild my be in the future for the sporty after all.............

TRG
  15. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

cutting up through kansas the snakes were warmming on the asphalt, after I found they weren't interested in striking, I began grazing them, kinda fun watching them pull back I seen one up the road a bit and headed for it when I got closer, to close to change my mind, I noticed there was a few of them bundled up and just as I passed them a flippen bird hit me in the leg scared the H E double hockey sticks right out of me. ah the error of my ways. didn,t see any more of them the rest of the way but I figured if I did I would steer clear anyway
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

:roflmao: That would have scared the crap out of me. Remind me to stay out of Kansas.
  17. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Imagine running spoke wheels and having one of them critters getting wound up in the front spokes. Al