1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Big motorcycle day tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

The guy who runs the Abate of Colorado motorcycle rider courses called me today. I'm going down tomorrow to run a few exercises, like a try-out. I'm excited but nervous. I have no idea which exercises I'm going to do and it's been a few months since I taught.

Also, my bike is done! It's supposed to be nice down there tomorrow. I'm thinking about trying to get down to the dealership early and riding my bike to the class.

Big day! Wish me luck.
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

great abby have fun if you can get through the snow, and be careful, hope its nice, for me I fly in tomorrow if not i will envy your ride, and good luck on your visit just remain calm and do your thing. abate will be gaining some good help.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good luck abby....just take a deep breath and relax....you know what you are doing and can help a lot of inexperienced riders stay safe on the hiways!!! have fun, enjoy the bike and stay safe!!!! let us know how it goes...:)
  4. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Abby,

Perhaps as a help to everyone out here, could you as an experienced instructor provide an outline of the topics covered in the classroom and out in the practice area as well?. Given your past experience, we can all benefit, if you don't mind?

Hope you have great weather out there, we are stuck on a cold run for almost two weeks here in the Northeast.

Regards,
    German
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Abby , you know what your doing & you do it so well , so do as chuck said & you'll be just fine :cool: ;)
  6. chucktx

this would be a great idea!!! but, there may be liability issues with placeing "how to ride" in a public forum....i think ken should make this call, if abby would even consider this idea.
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I did it! :D

I messed up on the coaching position in one of the exercises, but I rode a fairly tough one well. It's exercise six with some really intense weaving and 90 degree turns, but they use all Nighthawks there, and those are the best bikes for the tight turns.

I picked up my bike from Thunder Mountain too. I am so in love with my motorcycle. They had it cleaned up nicely too. The rear brakes are finally good, and I got a fancy rotor. I also had them add a new chrome sprocket that matches the front wheel. She's looking good! And the power is awesome. What a pleasure riding on the Interstate at 75 and not feeling like I've got the bike out flat.

As far as offering tips, here's a link to the safety tip library on the MSF website:
    Safety Library
    MSF Home Page

That should give you some good information and absolve me and Ken of any responsibility. :D
  8. chucktx

ok, so i am not the brightest bulb in the house.....you said "i did it:D "........then said you "messed up on the coaching"......did ya get the gig or not????? thanks for the links to better riding. neither of the links explain the fine art of riding on the rear wheel tho.....hmmm......
    glad ya lovin the bike....:)
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Sorry. Yes, I'm now a RiderCoach in Colorado. There are several things the coaches are evaluated on, one of them being where you are standing during the exercises. I was standing too close to the cones. It wasn't critical, but when he was giving me the feedback I could see his point. So I bombed on that, but I passed on everything else.
  10. chucktx

a big congrats on that!!!!!!!!:cheers: