1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Big Shot Installation

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by halln, Mar 20, 2006.

1. halln

halln New Member

I have a 2004 Fatboy and I am about to install V&H Bigshot Staggerds,It says to replace the factory exhaust donut gasket,however it seems that either the factory ones are either gone or crushed ,either way I can't even see them to remove them I am fairly mechanically inclined but this one has me baffled(no pun intended) So are they actually there and crushed or what ?
  2. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Ex. Gaskets

halln,
    The gaskets in question are there(at least should be).The gaskets are silver in
    color when new & blend to the color of the exh. port as time passes.Some people re-use the original gaskets,I personally like the "SCREAMIN-EAGLE" exh. gaskets(part# 17048-98).These will set you back $7.95+tx. .They seal the exh. port with better flow.A small 90 degree angle pick tool will help to remove the old gaskets.Goodluck & Enjoy the pipes!
  3. halln

halln New Member

Thanks for the help, they were there and as you said blended to match the port,I also took your advice and put the SE gaskets in ,and they worked great !

Thanks again
  4. CD

CD Guest

Next time you change gaskets, look at the SE price tag vs. the aftermarket tag of $4.40 for two gaskets.

The 'SE' gaskets are nothing more than the original EVO exhaust gaskets. The original EVO gaskets were flat woven mesh gaskets. Well....H-D changes to these thick port shaped gaskets to get a better seal. But, what do you do with 40 zillion original style gaskets?

Hint....they got feathers and are way over priced.
  5. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Gaskets

HEY C.D.,
    Sorry about not representing the store...was'nt trying to promote H.D.,Just trying to help out. 00 wildglide.
  6. CD

CD Guest

No, don't misunderstand me please. I was simply crackin' on H-D for another one of their tricks is all. :D

When we talk to customers you would not be surprised at how many have told us they paid more than $10.00 for a pair!
  7. halln

halln New Member

I paid 5.95 each for them at my local HD store. After reading the instructions for ,the V & H pipes it said to replace the gaskets ,but after removing them I realized they (factory gaskets)were still in good shape and prob.would have worked,But I will say one thing ,the same pipes at the HD shop were 579.95
    compared to here 429.00 here. LOL I was bidding on ebay for some when I found this site ,I was warned by ebay for tampering with auctions cause I contacted the people I was bidding with and told them about this store.Oh well thanks again for all the help
  8. CD

CD Guest

Did you know that most manufacturers will not warranty their products if purchased via e-bay?

Also, the reason that you use the original thin type gaskets is for a better seal and even seating compared to the new style. re-using gaskets is not a great idea as a new pipe never seats the exact same way.
  9. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

Fool me once

Heh, found that out the hard way when I installed my Cycle Shacks (bought from DP!). Didn't replace the orig gaskets and the rear one leaked. Fixed that right away, went with the tapered (stock) HD gaskets, I think they were 6 bucks for the pr.

BTW, the CS sound AWESOME!

Joe